Off-Topic Heading to Asheville with the family…

Dirtyj

Recruit
Gonna be there for 3 days with my wife and 2 boys (12 and 7). Have read some foodie blogs and touristy stuff, but - if you’re familiar with it - what can’t we miss while we’re there? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Gonna be there for 3 days with my wife and 2 boys (12 and 7). Have read some foodie blogs and touristy stuff, but - if you’re familiar with it - what can’t we miss while we’re there? Thanks in advance!
Only thing I’ve been to Asheville for is Biltmore Estate. Google the history of it. It’s a great tour of the mansion and you can spend as little or as much time as you like. The wife will more than likely enjoy it and the kids seem to as well. The weather looks like it should be OK but keep an eye out. This time of year can be tricky in those mountains.

I have ridden my motorcycle through the area countless times. I can tell you it is some of the most beautiful scenery on the east coast.

Only thing I’ve been to Asheville for is Biltmore Estate. Google the history of it. It’s a great tour of the mansion and you can spend as little or as much time as you like. The wife will more than likely enjoy it and the kids seem to as well. The weather looks like it should be OK but keep an eye out. This time of year can be tricky in those mountains.
The Biltmore Estate is nice but beware it cost an arm and a leg to get into. It is a minimum of $76 per person ($86 on the weekends) and can go over $100 depending on what day you go. I don't necessarily blame them because the place probably cost a fortune to keep up. But just know what you are getting into. You may be able to get some discounts with some advance research but it is an investment.

Advertisement
I have ridden my motorcycle through the area countless times. I can tell you it is some of the most beautiful scenery on the east coast.
Nantahala area is far nicer than that strip of the ridge.

As far as Asheville, Banner elk and all the small areas somewhat close to Asheville I like much more . I would look up guides for hiking and hit all the waterfall areas. Some cool hiking trails off the beaten path. Only locals know about. Funny when everybody (tourists) are looking from observatories and pointing at you when you are down in areas they have no clue how to get to.

Advertisement
Back