Gurvan Hall

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
If Hall doesn't start and take the vast majority (like 70%+) of the snaps at one Safety spot, something went terribly wrong with his mental/film prep. He can simply do things other candidates cannot.

If I'm coordinating an offense against our defense, I want Amari Carter on the field in coverages lined up against my inside WR the way Redwine was at times last year. On that basis, as a Canes fan, I hope we see improvement in Carter's ability in space or his role scoped to what he does best: close quarters and blitz packages.

We still need a 3rd Safety who can play in coverages that end up with the #2 (inside) WR in man coverage (often was about 8-10 yards cushion). This is where Redwine made some underrated plays for us last year. It will likely be more of a problem this year, unless Carter makes a leap or Bolden shows consistent range, OR Blake Baker goes much more Nickel and Dime, which I hope for and partially expect.

I've now re-watched every single game and defensive snap from last season. With our LBs most likely still flying upfield, we better pray our Safeties can clean up half as well as they did last season. In some games where JJ and/or Redwine were out, I have multiple notes of scary angles by backup Safeties or just complete whiffs.

brock

All-American
If Hall doesn't start and take the vast majority (like 70%+) of the snaps at one Safety spot, something went terribly wrong with his mental/film prep. He can simply do things other candidates cannot.

If I'm coordinating an offense against our defense, I want Amari Carter on the field in coverages lined up against my inside WR the way Redwine was at times last year. On that basis, as a Canes fan, I hope we see improvement in Carter's ability in space or his role scoped to what he does best: close quarters and blitz packages.

We still need a 3rd Safety who can play in coverages that end up with the #2 (inside) WR in man coverage (often was about 8-10 yards cushion). This is where Redwine made some underrated plays for us last year. It will likely be more of a problem this year, unless Carter makes a leap or Bolden shows consistent range, OR Blake Baker goes much more Nickel and Dime, which I hope for and partially expect.

I've now re-watched every single game and defensive snap from last season. With our LBs most likely still flying upfield, we better pray our Safeties can clean up half as well as they did last season. In some games where JJ and/or Redwine were out, I have multiple notes of scary angles by backup Safeties or just complete whiffs.
I think Bolden brings that combo presence of coverage and tackling ability to pair perfectly with gurvan Hall as the 3rd safety early only but should be the guy by mid season imo. I love What carter possibly can bring in the box but not sold with him playing in space and in coverage in general. Actually like Derrick smith better in coverage than him which makes sense because his film showed he could be pretty rangy and a playmaker in coverage

Canes_U_Pride

Senior
I don't think it's impossible.

Here's 5 reasons why:

-he's Miami's most experienced safety
-Banda lusts for him
-he was a starter exiting the spring while Carter and Smith were out
-Keontra just got here
-Bolden arrives later
As much as it would drive me insane ive come to see that theres a higher chance of him starting than most would think that there is.

Hall, bolden, and carter are all better in the eyes of many but banda loves him some knowles.

rokulika

Great Poster
As much as it would drive me insane ive come to see that theres a higher chance of him starting than most would think that there is.

Hall, bolden, and carter are all better in the eyes of many but banda loves him some knowles.
I'm tryin' to tell ya. He's got a ton of snaps under his belt and when you're replacing not one, but two multi-year starters at a position that demands a ton, the coaches may see some value there. I think we all agree that it's only a matter of time before Bolden, Hall, Carter are the three primary options but Knowles will get a fair shake imo.

D_G87

Sophomore
I don't think it's impossible.

Here's 5 reasons why:

-he's Miami's most experienced safety
-Banda lusts for him
-he was a starter exiting the spring while Carter and Smith were out
-Keontra just got here
-Bolden arrives later

Man that sad ass dude ain’t starting chill tf out

JHallCanes

#TNM

Hey bud what position did you play? ;)

Insanecane

Junior
  • Robert Knowles. Who was out of place on LSU’s first TD, a 50 yard run RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE on a zone play? You guessed it: number 20. Woof.
Image result for pulp fiction drinking gif