Got a chance to meet the coaches tonight

View as article

Canemang

Senior
Banned
They invited all high school coaches onto the field(behind the enzone) before the game. Coaches came and hung out for nearly an hour, and just mingled with us. Golden stopped by for about the last 15 minutes to shake hands, thank the HS coaches, and shoot the **** for a few minutes. All of them are sticking around to golf in a alumni tournament tomorrow.

I talked with Williams, Donofrio, and Carroll the most (about 10-15 each).

Wiliams - Cot **** is dude short, really nice guy, really jacked up about Gunter, and the incoming guys at corner. Loves Coral Gables, will coach there a long time if given the chance.

Carroll - To be honest, came off ****y as ****. Really likes Walford and Cleveland, said Croey White might have the best hands of all the tight ends, just can't stay healthy. Feels the TE's will be used a lot this year. Really wants the Hauerman (called him the TE from Naples). When I asked him about golf, he said "I'll be there, just not with a club in my hand, I'll have a cold beverage in each"....lol

Donofrio - Dude is bigger than I thought, really carried himself well, very professional. He too is excited about Gunter, loves the fact the he has three years of eligibilty. Not gonna run a true 3-4 (not enough size at LB), but will stand some players up in a hybrid like position. Raved about the school (Miami), told some interesting stories about his days at Temple. Talked about the advantage these kids have that come in early, excited for the rest of the 2012 class to arrive.

To be honest the scrimmage was boring, couple of players that stood out to me:

Kirby - Don't think there's any doubt he'll be starting sometime this year.
Bunche - ******* huuuuuuge, moves well for his size, killed Mcgee one play.

but the most physically impressive player I saw was Flowers (considering he's a freshman), he's massive, and def. carries his weight well. I imagine he'll see significant playing time this year.

Advertisement
Much appreciated Mang. Excellent info.

What school do you coach for?

Advertisement
No problem

Yea D, I played Jevon at North. Not only those two, but Deion Sanders, and Warren Williams went to north as well.

What I was impressed with, is when Fisch stopped by and asked what school we were from, we told him NFM, he knew we just hired a new coach(just hired him a few weeks ago). Fisch recruits this area, and wants to familiarize himself with the all Lee County schools.

Advertisement
What I was impressed with, is when Fisch stopped by and asked what school we were from, we told him NFM, he knew we just hired a new coach(just hired him a few weeks ago). Fisch recruits this area, and wants to familiarize himself with the all Lee County schools.

Southwest Florida is unclaimed territory for Miami. It's not really controlled by anyone, and some of the biggest freaks in the state come out of there. Sounds like today's event was a major step in the right direction.

No problem

Yea D, I played Jevon at North. Not only those two, but Deion Sanders, and Warren Williams went to north as well.

Thanks for the info.

I love that our coaches do these little things to let the HS coaches know that the U is there for them. Think its that kind of thing that gives a little edge in recruiting.

Advertisement
Donofrio - Dude is bigger than I thought, really carried himself well, very professional. He too is excited about Gunter, loves the fact the he has three years of eligibilty. Not gonna run a true 3-4 (not enough size at LB), but will stand some players up in a hybrid like position. Raved about the school (Miami), told some interesting stories about his days at Temple. Talked about the advantage these kids have that come in early, excited for the rest of the 2012 class to arrive.

Thanks for the writeup mang, I love these types of things. Any stories you can share?

Last edited:

Thanks for the writeup mang, I love these types of things. Any stories you can share?

There was a 15 story project right behind one of the enzones (endzone, fence, street, Project, about 15-20 yards). Heard many of gunshots (had to clear the field a few times), people hanging out the windows telling them how bad they suck. Football building (Golden's office), was right below a railroad track, and every 15 minutes a train would come by, couldn't really do many interviews from his office.

I asked him what was harder, his first year at Temple, or at Miami. He said Miami because they were blindsided by everything, they sorta knew what to expect when they took the Temple job.

Asked him about his playing days against Miami, immediately raised his eyebrows and said "that was the fastest team I ever faced, we had no answer for that speed".

Advertisement

There was a 15 story project right behind one of the enzones (endzone, fence, street, Project, about 15-20 yards). Heard many of gunshots (had to clear the field a few times), people hanging out the windows telling them how bad they suck. Football building (Golden's office), was right below a railroad track, and every 15 minutes a train would come by, couldn't really do many interviews from his office.

I asked him what was harder, his first year at Temple, or at Miami. He said Miami because they were blindsided by everything, they sorta knew what to expect when they took the Temple job.

Asked him about his playing days against Miami, immediately raised his eyebrows and said "that was the fastest team I ever faced, we had no answer for that speed".

Great stuff man, congrats on getting a little VIP treatment!

Anyone who has been to Temple can definitely appreciate those stories. That place....I dunno. Its why I was immediately a Golden fan when he took over there. You dont walk in and perform miracles but what he (and his guys) did was pretty eye opening around the area.

Mang..... Great stuff..... Thanks fro bring it to the board...... Props & Respect.....

Thanks for the info, Mang. I LOVE how this staff is developing relationships with the high school coaches...love it.

Advertisement
Back