Good Sign: Tone of Leadership

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I spent this week watching all of our coaches' interviews. The team's primary leaders, Diaz and Enos, seem to be really good complements while both working from this general "no nonsense" attitude. They are incredibly aligned on message. They both preach toughness, focus and embracing challenges.

Their approaches in the media were interesting, since, before setting out to watch all the interviews, I hadn't heard much from Enos. For instance, Diaz often answers reporter questions sarcastically and plays along. Enos, on the other hand, will go so far as to respond with comments that come across like "I already fucking told you." Not rude; just to the point and like he wants to get back to his actual job. Both seem, at times, to have little tolerance for bullshit. Unfortunately for them, lots of BS/bad questions from Miami media, but it's cool to get some insights from their attitudes.

Both are well-spoken, but Enos really stood out to me in how curt he comes across. It's like he's aiming at efficiency even when answering questions. That's a personality thing. And, attitudes/values flow from personality. From there, reasonable to expect actions and what you want the people you lead to do. You add that up and, since teams generally reflect their leadership, I expect us to value a more focused, detailed approach.

I'm even more excited, if that's possible, going into the season. Whatever happens in that first month, I expect a complete grind toward continuous improvement. Our schedule sets up well for that season trajectory, too. By 11/02, assuming health, we should be in full stride.

roly2324

Redshirt Freshman
I spent this week watching all of our coaches' interviews. The team's primary leaders, Diaz and Enos, seem to be really good complements while both working from this general "no nonsense" attitude. They are incredibly aligned on message. They both preach toughness, focus and embracing challenges.

Their approaches in the media were interesting, since, before setting out to watch all the interviews, I hadn't heard much from Enos. For instance, Diaz often answers reporter questions sarcastically and plays along. Enos, on the other hand, will go so far as to respond with comments that come across like "I already fucking told you." Not rude; just to the point and like he wants to get back to his actual job. Both seem, at times, to have little tolerance for bullshit. Unfortunately for them, lots of BS/bad questions from Miami media, but it's cool to get some insights from their attitudes.

Both are well-spoken, but Enos really stood out to me in how curt he comes across. It's like he's aiming at efficiency even when answering questions. That's a personality thing. And, attitudes/values flow from personality. From there, reasonable to expect actions and what you want the people you lead to do. You add that up and, since teams generally reflect their leadership, I expect us to value a more focused, detailed approach.

I'm even more excited, if that's possible, going into the season. Whatever happens in that first month, I expect a complete grind toward continuous improvement. Our schedule sets up well for that season trajectory, too. By 11/02, assuming health, we should be in full stride.
This for me pumped bro..

Ethnicsands

All-American

I like where you’re headed here.

Start with manny. His answers reveal he understands that the things that go along with being a HC (media, hype etc) are distractions, not trappings. Features, not benefits. Coker loved being Hc, the money and all that. He just had no idea what caused the outcomes. Randy was quirky, but at core, there was a similar failing. He hadn’t studied being Hc, and all he had to learn from really was clown coker. He was much younger before that. Golden loved the idea that he was Hc at Miami. Richt absolutely basked in the adoration of the media. Those attitudes were reflective of broader issues. Manny IMO gets it much differently. He doesn’t just talk coach speak. He believes that the little things matter.

Enos is a good fit with manny. He is driven by outcomes, and he cant hide as OC. Richt had no OC. Godlen had a recruiter who was bout talk not scheme. Enos knows he must make this work for his career to progress. He seems to get it 100%. Succeed or fail, i think it is clear he isnt distracted by the trappings that come with the job.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I like where you’re headed here.

Start with manny. His answers reveal he understands that the things that go along with being a HC (media, hype etc) are distractions, not trappings. Features, not benefits. Coker loved being Hc, the money and all that. He just had no idea what caused the outcomes. Randy was quirky, but at core, there was a similar failing. He hadn’t studied being Hc, and all he had to learn from really was clown coker. He was much younger before that. Golden loved the idea that he was Hc at Miami. Richt absolutely basked in the adoration of the media. Those attitudes were reflective of broader issues. Manny IMO gets it much differently. He doesn’t just talk coach speak. He believes that the little things matter.

Enos is a good fit with manny. He is driven by outcomes, and he cant hide as OC. Richt had no OC. Godlen had a recruiter who was bout talk not scheme. Enos knows he must make this work for his career to progress. He seems to get it 100%. Succeed or fail, i think it is clear he isnt distracted by the trappings that come with the job.
That last part is really interesting to me. People generally do what they're motivated or incentivized to do. If we go through this insane 18 year period, you see all sorts of misalignment in terms of motivation and goals. Enos' very obvious desire to get validated and experience autonomy (otherwise, why wouldn't he just have waited a year or so as Bama OC) will definitely be at play in the things we see as fans.

That's why I never really worried about the QB choice. Because while some people were talking about "business decisions" and "Tate's social media popularity," a guy with Enos' motivations is not going to give a ****. That ruthless focus will trickle into his effort. His gameplanning. The in-game aggression.

I have no idea if Diaz/Enos will make this work and certainly no idea if it'll work right away, but I am openly admitting I'm one of us desperate for positive signs. And, listening to each of them answer questions and communicate their plans is more positive than negative.

I hope we take on the attitude of ruthlessness. I think that was JJ's most valuable trait.

Ethnicsands

All-American
That last part is really interesting to me. People generally do what they're motivated or incentivized to do. If we go through this insane 18 year period, you see all sorts of misalignment in terms of motivation and goals. Enos' very obvious desire to get validated and experience autonomy (otherwise, why wouldn't he just have waited a year or so as Bama OC) will definitely be at play in the things we see as fans.

That's why I never really worried about the QB choice. Because while some people were talking about "business decisions" and "Tate's social media popularity," a guy with Enos' motivations is not going to give a ****. That ruthless focus will trickle into his effort. His gameplanning. The in-game aggression.

I have no idea if Diaz/Enos will make this work and certainly no idea if it'll work right away, but I am openly admitting I'm one of us desperate for positive signs. And, listening to each of them answer questions and communicate their plans is more positive than negative.

I hope we take on the attitude of ruthlessness. I think that was JJ's most valuable trait.
I mostly agree but sum it up differently. I dont think its about ruthlessness really. It’s about professionalism and focus. Things get really complicated if you let distractions interfere. We havent had a focused coach in that way in ages. There is nothing ruthless about going with jarren over tate. If anything, meritocracies are caring, and ruthlessness is the word for when things that shouldnt count are factored in. So i dont need ruthlessness. I want commitment to winning and to team outcomes. I think we get that with enos because he understand how he will be judged and what is required to deliver aginast the metrics. And he learmed from saban. When it comes to focus on what matters for winning, saban is a legend.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I mostly agree but sum it up differently. I dont think its about ruthlessness really. It’s about professionalism and focus. Things get really complicated if you let distractions interfere. We havent had a focused coach in that way in ages. There is nothing ruthless about going with jarren over tate. If anything, meritocracies are caring, and ruthlessness is the word for when things that shouldnt count are factored in. So i dont need ruthlessness. I want commitment to winning and to team outcomes. I think we get that with enos because he understand how he will be judged and what is required to deliver aginast the metrics. And he learmed from saban. When it comes to focus on what matters for winning, saban is a legend.
I'm actually thinking about it more in the context of focus. The book "Ruthless Focus" (Hall) is really the message I'm thinking about and trying to apply to Diaz and Enos' apparent approaches to this organization.

Appreciate the nuance in your comments.

305to954

All ACC
I think y’all over analyzing..a tad bit.
I mean lane kiffin and nick saban were a match made in disfunctional heaven..yet they made it work..Bill the Goat and McDaniels make it work...Golden and dno got along just fine from the outside looking in.

Point is it doesn’t matter how well two individuals feed off each other’s personality’s that much to be successful. Especially in sports. We have proven history of players at each other’s throats, great coaches who didn’t particularly get along have major success..it’s about getting it done

This isn’t about personality profiles anymore

Ethnicsands

All-American
I'm actually thinking about it more in the context of focus. The book "Ruthless Focus" (Hall) is really the message I'm thinking about and trying to apply to Diaz and Enos' apparent approaches to this organization.
I hear you, and i think we are agreeing. Maybe its a bugaboo of mine from what ive watched since coker, but i think too many people make it seem too complicated. Not saying you. Golden had his pillars and pamphlets and letters to the team. Guys write books about focus and they feel the need to invent adjectives like ruthless to make it sound like its more than ordinary focus. Imo focus is focus. Its not about being more than focused. All other than focus is beset by distraction. Its simple if you dont make it complicated, but when we see people who resist distraction, we look for words to dress them up because we are all subject to distraction. Simplicity is magical if you focus on the right things.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I hear you, and i think we are agreeing. Maybe its a bugaboo of mine from what ive watched since coker, but i think too many people make it seem too complicated. Not saying you. Golden had his pillars and pamphlets and letters to the team. Guys write books about focus and they feel the need to invent adjectives like ruthless to make it sound like its more than ordinary focus. Imo focus is focus. Its not about being more than focused. All other than focus is beset by distraction. Its simple if you dont make it complicated, but when we see people who resist distraction, we look for words to dress them up because we are all subject to distraction. Simplicity is magical if you focus on the right things.
That's an interesting point on one level of focus. You hear Diaz talk about a "single" standard. Unfortunately, I think there are levels of focus - although I feel like I agree with you there shouldn't be. It should be all the **** in. As sharp as you can be, whatever that may be.

Yet, it's not really like that. And, over the years we've seen people - Golden is a great example - superficially focus on things that didn't really drive results. I've told the story where he'd actually take books (org books similar to Ruthless Focus) and try to somehow get the players/kids engaged with the concepts. The kids had no idea what he and his staff were talking about. Come on, Al, these were 19-20 year old players. Focus on making them better and keep it simple. In other words, your last line. Agree wholeheartedly on that.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I think y’all over analyzing..a tad bit.
I mean lane kiffin and nick saban were a match made in disfunctional heaven..yet they made it work..Bill the Goat and McDaniels make it work...Golden and dno got along just fine from the outside looking in.

Point is it doesn’t matter how well two individuals feed off each other’s personality’s that much to be successful. Especially in sports. We have proven history of players at each other’s throats, great coaches who didn’t particularly get along have major success..it’s about getting it done

This isn’t about personality profiles anymore
Don't think what we're talking about has anything to do with "getting along." Think we're talking about being on the same page in terms of focusing on specific details (that lead to specific results).

The mentions of personality are more about what we can expect from how these dudes are gonna coach the players differently than previous staffs coached their players. Hopefully, anyway. So we can get some different results.

Ethnicsands

All-American
That's an interesting point on one level of focus. You hear Diaz talk about a "single" standard. Unfortunately, I think there are levels of focus - although I feel like I agree with you there shouldn't be. It should be all the **** in. As sharp as you can be, whatever that may be.

Yet, it's not really like that. And, over the years we've seen people - Golden is a great example - superficially focus on things that didn't really drive results. I've told the story where he'd actually take books (org books similar to Ruthless Focus) and try to somehow get the players/kids engaged with the concepts. The kids had no idea what he and his staff were talking about. Come on, Al, these were 19-20 year old players. Focus on making them better and keep it simple. In other words, your last line. Agree wholeheartedly on that.
Occam’s razor.

Whoch word matters: ruthless ... or focus?

To people who struggle to focus, i have no doubt focus seems ruthless. But it isnt ruthless to the objects of focus. It’s ruthless to competitors who arent as focused.

To truly focus, you have to give things up. You even have to risk failing. Most people who become head coaches and start to make money have a hard time accepting that rather than having ‘made it,’ thy have really raised the scrutiny and cost of failure. So they complicate everything, because it feels better and makes them seem smart to the folks whose adulation they crave. The media.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Occam’s razor.

Whoch word matters: ruthless ... or focus?

To people who struggle to focus, i have no doubt focus seems ruthless. But it isnt ruthless to the objects of focus. It’s ruthless to competitors who arent as focused.

To truly focus, you have to give things up. You even have to risk failing. Most people who become head coaches and start to make money have a hard time accepting that rather than having ‘made it,’ thy have really raised the scrutiny and cost of failure. So they complicate everything, because it feels better and makes them seem smart to the folks whose adulation they crave. The media.
Now i feel like you're coaching me on business. Thanks for the pep talk. Ha.

Good talk. When it comes to the Canes, I just want to see us get somewhere close to what we're capable of doing. I think we've obviously fallen short of our talent's ability for a good long while.

305to954

All ACC
Don't think what we're talking about has anything to do with "getting along." Think we're talking about being on the same page in terms of focusing on specific details (that lead to specific results).

The mentions of personality are more about what we can expect from how these dudes are gonna coach the players differently than previous staffs coached their players. Hopefully, anyway. So we can get some different results.
I hear what you saying..I’m just not gunna read too much Into a interview and use it as insightful information on how a coach may coach players etc..only way to know for sure is with time. Any coach can’t talk a good talk. But over time let’s see how consistent that message is through the ups and if there are downs.

This manny tenure is about results. He’s taking over the program in better shape then the last 3 coaches b4 him. So for me personally I expect signs(on field and recruiting) of positive trends right away. Not saying I expect to go 11-2/13-1 but I don’t expect and nobody should accept 8-5 or worse..not with this roster. Not with this depth. The core of this roster was apart of that 17’ team. They won a bowl game here. They’ve had a level of success. Therefore there is no reason why this should be a rebuilding type season.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I hear what you saying..I’m just not gunna read too much Into a interview and use it as insightful information on how a coach may coach players etc..only way to know for sure is with time. Any coach can’t talk a good talk. But over time let’s see how consistent that message is through the ups and if there are downs.
Fair enough. We've certainly seen enough bullshit over the years.

Ethnicsands

All-American
Now i feel like you're coaching me on business. Thanks for the pep talk. Ha.

Good talk. When it comes to the Canes, I just want to see us get somewhere close to what we're capable of doing. I think we've obviously fallen short of our talent's ability for a good long while.
You and I recall the old days of boards under coker.

Some folks applauded him for seeming like a nice clappy granddad. I and IIRC you and otjers pointed out that he was destroying kids opportunities with his lazy lack of care. That his _lack of focus_ was ruthless, albeit in service of sloth and pride rather than another more outcome oriented goal.

So we dont know what will happen, but for the first time since ‘00, it is at least believable to me that we have a HC and staff committed to outcome goals rather than spin and talk. Fingers crossed.