Golden & Beamer Want 9 Game ACC Schedule, Others Don't.

TheCaneShow

Thunderdome
The ACC coaches are in favor of sticking with an eight-game league schedule, as the conference prepares to again debate an eight- or nine-game format at next month's spring meetings in Amelia Island, Fla., according to Duke coach David Cutcliffe, who is chair of the ACC coaches' committee.

The coaches and athletic directors will meet May 12-15, and the future schedule is a topic high on the agenda that could come to a vote. In fact, many within the conference are hoping it does, as it has been discussed for years. The athletic directors have the final vote, and the ACC coaches have been overruled in the past on this issue. In May, 2012, the athletic directors voted in favor of a nine-game schedule only to revert back to eight games after announcing a partnership with Notre Dame.

Now, since the league has expanded to 14 teams with the most recent additions of Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse, the conference has decided to reconsider the format. Factors they are considering include how to best position the ACC for the new College Football Playoff, the league's interest in starting an ACC channel, and the built-in rivals against SEC opponents that already exist with some schools.

"I think it's going to be debated, I will say that," Cutcliffe said on Wednesday's spring ACC coaches' teleconference. "I wouldn't be being truthful if I didn't tell you the coaches lean heavily towards eight. That's where we are. We have a schedule made out for the next few years. We have Notre Dame rotating in and out of there. We've got Kansas, Northwestern, we have some Big 12, Big Ten, SEC schools on our schedule now. From a coaching standpoint, we're real happy with eight games. I think there's a lot of discussions we're going to have with the ADs that could be interesting."

One of the biggest criticisms of the current format is that each ACC school faces all of their rotating crossover opponents only twice during the 12-year rotation, once at home and once on the road, but not consecutively. A nine-game format would increase the ACC's league schedule from 56 to 63 games.

Not all of the coaches are in favor of eight games, as both Miami's Al Golden and Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer both said they are in favor of nine, and Virginia coach Mike London said he hasn't yet made up his mind on the issue.

"I'd rather play a game that you need to win as opposed to playing a game that you should win," Beamer said. "Just from a coaching standpoint, I think that I'd love more of those challenges rather than the alumni getting all upset when they think you should've won a game. ... I think I'd go for nine games."

Golden agreed.

"Whatever the decision is, I'm in favor of going to nine," he said. "I think it would help balance our schedules. I like the way the league has grown with the new membership. Clearly it's going to make us better. There are some very attractive markets that have helped our league out, so I'm in favor of playing nine if we can. We'll see how it develops here in the next couple of weeks."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ches-favor-keeping-8-game-conference-schedule

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm trying to think of a way to turn this into a 'Golden Sucks' thread.

Give me some time.

9 ACC games would be good. No need to play 2 cupcakes a year.

The divisions should be realigned though..

Why non put Miami and FSU in the same division? We are locked in to one of our "crossover" games every year. With FSU being in the "south" division this would let us play 2 different "north" opponents each year in a 9 ACC game format.

North

Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Virginia
Viginia Tech
Wake

South

North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GT
Clemson
FSU
Miami

I rather play 9 games in the conference and drop a BS game.

12 Game Schedule

9 ACC Games (Alternate 5 Home v. 4 Away),
2 Non-Conference BCS Games (Texas, Penn State, Michigan etc.), and
1 Florida Opponent/Cupcake (FAU, FAMU)

12 Game Schedule

At most we'd have 1 BCS game OOC and 2 cupcakes.

That's just my opinion.

Advertisement

12 Game Schedule

At most we'd have 1 BCS game OOC and 2 cupcakes.

That's just my opinion.

I posted what I want, not what I expect.

Honestly, to make the playoff (the new BCS) you should be required to have some minimum qualifications (SCHEDULE) to get into the mix.

Using an 8 team playoff, here is what I would do:

Slots 1-5: Conference Champion (ACC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC-12, SEC)
Slots 6-8: Best 3 Non-Conference Champions

In order to be "playoff eligible" a team must

1. Play 9 Games in Conference,
2. Play AT MOST 7 games at home,
3. Schedule 2 Non-Conference BCS games, and
4. Play 12 Regular Season Games

Why non put Miami and FSU in the same division? We are locked in to one of our "crossover" games every year. With FSU being in the "south" division this would let us play 2 different "north" opponents each year in a 9 ACC game format.

North

Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Virginia
Viginia Tech
Wake

South

North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GT
Clemson
FSU
Miami

No offense, but that is TERRIBLE. The South is stacked, the North sucks bad. I do not have a solution, geographical or otherwise; but this one doesn't feel balanced.

We can't beat the ACC teams we have now. In order to get to the ACCCG. Adding more bottom dwellers. Would make this a gut wrenching affair.

Advertisement

North

Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Virginia
Viginia Tech
Wake

South

North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GT
Clemson
FSU
Miami

No offense, but that is TERRIBLE. The South is stacked, the North sucks bad. I do not have a solution, geographical or otherwise; but this one doesn't feel balanced.

How is that stacked?

This side of the conference is trash, outside of VT. Just flipping them with FSU, and Clemson. Gives VT some competition in Louisville.

Advertisement

North

Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Virginia
Viginia Tech
Wake

South

North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GT
Clemson
FSU
Miami

The division will never happen. South is way better. ACC isn't putting FSU, Clemson and Miami in the same division.

I doubt you would get a situation where FSU and UM aren't able to play in the ACCCG.

Personally, i would rather be in the same division as them.

I don't care either way but I doubt the ACC would ever put us both in the same division. One of us is getting fcuked when ND comes in full time.

Depends on what team the ACC adds to even out the conferences, but I'd wager ND is going to be in the same division as us.

Advertisement
Back