God **** It: It Is Time To Re-Examine Mario Cristobal

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
I am extremely anti-hiring a Miami guy just for the sake of hiring a Miami guy. This seems to be a problem the program and fans have had for a while now. Vacancy opens up? "Pagano!" "Trestman!" "Chud! Shannon AGAIN!?"

We should be looking for quality football coaches with a record of success and production, and then going from there. If they happen to have some previous ties to Miami, so be it. BUT, the prerequisite for the position shouldn't just be "hey y'all he coached here once!"

We have to stop loading our list of candidates every time we have a vacancy with dudes just because they coached or played here. That's lazy and closes off an entire country of talented potential coaches.

Now, any time Mario Cirstobal's name has came up I vomited out of my car window and googled how to make a noose. I was always against Cristobal because his top 2 attributes you'd hear from his supporters were "from Miami bro" and "knows how to recruit." I hated the guy and regarded him as a Cuban Golden. Now, I find myself suffering under the real Cuban Al Golden as Manure proudly tells me how fast his team ran at practice after he lost to FI-*******-U.

Anyway...back to Mario.

I have always hated Mario as a candidate for us. HOWEVA, digging in on one position and not being able to adapt, or refusing to accept new information and re-evaluate in light of that information, is the act of a fool. Putting aside my initial stance on Mario and my hatred of our lazy fanbase and AD for throwing darts at a board of "Miami guys" any time a new coach is discussed, I must admit: I am impressed with Mario and he warrants monitoring and further investigation as Manure's impending termination looms.

A few things to consider as I dive deeper into Mario's career:

• The two seasons prior to Cristobal becoming theit HC, Oregon went 4-8 and 7-5.

• He's since won 9 and 12 games.

* He just won a Power 5 Conference Title.

• Won the Rose Bowl

* He also won another Conference Title at FIU.

* We have ZERO Conference Titles in 15 years of ACC play

• Mario seems to know how to spot talented coaches on the rise and build a quality staff.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators.

• Orlando went on to became DC for Texas (just got fired, but still)

• Scatterfield had huge success at App State as their HC, and just won ACC Coach of the Year for Louisville.

• Collins became a DC for two SEC programs, then a HC at Temple and now the HC at GT.

* That's a **** of a coaching tree for a short stint at a Sun Belt program as a young head coach.

* Mario does seem to be a strong recruiter.

* Mario's first full class last year was ranked #7

* His current class is ranked #11

* Oregon's classes the 5 years before him: 19, 27, 16, 21, 19

I know Mario was the pick in December by many people inside of Miami's power circle, but they were overruled by more powerful individuals inside the Manny faction.

As a long-time Mario detractor, once Manure is fired next year, I think Mario has (barring a big-time pants-pooping in 2020) earned himself an interview and spot on the candidate list for reasons other than "he coached here and is from here, bro!" He's actually proving he can win games now at a high level, instead of being hyped up just for being a former Cane that recruited for Nick Saban.

And that is somewhat reassuring.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fair take. I don’t think he’s the answer to getting #6 but sh*t at this point I’ll just settle for consistent ACC title games every year. I would kill for multiple 10-2 seasons.

Herbert has underperformed so that’s a bit worrisome but maybe that’s just a product of him not being that good. Or maybe it’s the coaches. We will find out soon enough in the draft.

Advertisement
Good (or bad too I guess) is we can watch him one more year and see how he does without Herbert. I don't know who the backup QB is but Herbert could easily be a better pro qb than in college. I don't think the team will just suck without him or anything like that.

He's building the team up into something special I think. He's really building up the lines which is smart and he recruit's really well.

It's getting to the point (or we might already be past it) where he probably wouldn't leave Oregon for this **** show. Last year he would have.

Advertisement
I like MC. Professionally he has made all the right moves and has associated himself and learned from good coaches. Mario has evolved properly. I’d have no problem if at some point he decided to come here and coach. I’m glad he’s having the success he is having.
He has proven to be a better coach than Coker, Shannon and Golden and would have been a better hire than an unproven Diaz. I also like his sideline demeanor over Richt’s. Guy is energetic and very passionate. Our last two coaches have just looked lost and oozed a lack of confidence.

18 returning starters this past season.

let’s see what happens next year when he loses 4 starting OL and a senior QB. Oregon is going to be drastically different next year and filled with players that Mario actually recruited and brought it.

Advertisement
What difference does it make, he's not coming here.
You don’t know **** Hecht center shill. So take your opinion and shove where the sun don’t shine, Strawleys Snatch! Mario would definitely come home for a chance to win at the school and city he loves more then anything, anyone who says other wise is part of the dip**** manny wagon. Oops I meant Manure wagon! How is it on that manure wagon Go Canes, PU it stinks huh? Lmao @mdpcane

I'll wait to see how he does with a new QB. Remember where we were in 2017.
I used to think that too, but if you watch his current Allstar QB in games against teams with a pulse, he's not dominant. Not saying the kid sucks or anything, but no one is mistaking him for Lawrence, Burrow or Fields in a big game.

All of that is to say, I think Oregon will be just fine and maybe better next year without him.

Advertisement
Herbert sucked last night...should thrown 3 picks if Utah DBs get their heads around.

If the Dolphins draft him I'm gonna throw myself under a combine

Dolphins coaches and GM see him as Tannehill 2.0. I don't see him being drafted by the Dolphins. The Dolphins love Tua. They're still looking at Tua and if he can recover, he might be the pick. Dolphins might trade down from the high first round pick and get him in the middle of the first.

Advertisement
Back