Gardner is Miami's first 2016 pledge

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Cocoa High’s Chauncey Gardner isn’t your typical high school freshman. The 5’11”, 190-lb ATH committed to the ‘Canes last weekend to become Miami’s first 2016 commitment.

“It felt like home. Everybody was telling me, ‘Miami is a good place, Miami is a good place’ and everybody expected me to go there because that’s where some of my peoples are from on my dad’s side. When I went down there, I got to know the coaches in the drills and met some players. I’m used to playing in the heat so I was used to it. I was going to gonna go there anyways and I know way more offers are gonna come along and I wasn’t expecting to commit early, but hey I got it,” said Gardner.

Gardner grew up as a fan of the Hurricanes.

“I started playing football in third grade seriously. My first time watching organized football was the Miami Hurricanes so it was like ‘dang imagine if I could play for them, that would be big’.”

The 2016 ATH was offered by Miami after his performance at camp.

“I got it that day. It was a big surprise. I’m gonna stay with it (the commitment) because it doesn’t matter who tries to offer me. When I say I’m gonna do something, I’m gonna stick with it. Once I put my mind to something, I go and get it.”

Miami coach Al Golden had to make sure Gardner was serious when he committed.

“He was like ‘are you sure?’ and he was really surprised because I think I’m the first player for 2016 to commit to Miami. They didn’t know I would commit so early.”

The Cocoa youngster plays both sides of the ball and is open to either side at the next level.

“Probably DB most likely. It doesn’t matter to me though because as long as I’m on the field making plays for my team then I’m fine with that and it doesn’t even matter.”

Perhaps the most interesting part of Gardner’s camp showing was his tendency to show emotion after big plays.

“I stay fired up, that’s a part of my game. I like to stay fired up and let everybody know I’ma be here. You can’t take what’s mine. I’ma be in your grill from the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, fourth quarter, it don’t matter. I’ma be here. I like getting in people’s head. I like to get real violent and mess with people and throw them off their game.”

Gardner's freshman highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1672870/highlights/48196379

Advertisement
x400.jpg

I put the chances of him staying committed for the next few years at around 0.000000001%.

Give or take.

Advertisement
"I’ma be in your grill from the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, fourth quarter, it don’t matter. I’ma be here."

Lets go!

Last edited:
"I’ma be in your grill from the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, fourth quarter, it don’t matter. I’ma be here."[/B]

**** yeah

Advertisement
Always good to get a jump on other classes. Would love to get some 2015 commits this summer. Thats when you'll know that recruits sense that we are back. Right now theres too much wait and see, I think the best thing we can do to counter Alabama, UF FSU Clemson and the rest of them coming down here and getting ours is locking up more of our classes early so we can really go after the big names hard till the end.

Always good to get a jump on other classes. Would love to get some 2015 commits this summer. Thats when you'll know that recruits sense that we are back. Right now theres too much wait and see, I think the best thing we can do to counter Alabama, UF FSU Clemson and the rest of them coming down here and getting ours is locking up more of our classes early so we can really go after the big names hard till the end.

davante phillips was supposedly close to committing, i think tim irvin could be committing pretty early as well, we'll see what happens with calvin brewton, what I've seen is that central kids usually commit pretty early even though as we know several have backed out

this is ridiculously early. I'm glad the kid loves the U and if ends up being the player in high school that we think he can, then I'm all for him. But for god's sakes he still has to play some high school ball for three more years. lol

Advertisement
“I stay fired up, that’s a part of my game. I like to stay fired up and let everybody know I’ma be here. You can’t take what’s mine. I’ma be in your grill from the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, fourth quarter, it don’t matter. I’ma be here. I like getting in people’s head. I like to get real violent and mess with people and throw them off their game.”

Gardner Island.

Welcome to The U, son.

Sorry but Michael Irvin Jr has been committed since birth. Elijah Irvin is a 2017 commit. But kudos to Mr. Gardner for his commitment. Welcome to the U.

2016?

cool mane. ill check back on this recruitment when he decommits or in 3 years, whatever comes first.

Advertisement
Love his attitude. hope he stays committed like he says. What ever sanctions will be put in place shouldn't affect this cat so that shouldn't effect his decision with in the next few years. Welcome to the U.

Advertisement
Back