Former chair of the infractions committee speaks

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Good sign?

"Everything an institution does to show it is cooperating and taking the investigation seriously will work in its favor,” said Jo Potuto, a University of Nebraska law professor who was chair of the NCAA Committee on Infractions and currently serves as a substitute. “If the school is merely putting up window dressing, the committee will see right through it because they’ve seen it before.

Shalala doesn’t lead by consulting a crystal ball. She makes hard choices weighing the pros and cons of what is best for the university.

As Potuto said, “Schools under investigation don’t operate in a vacuum.” Shalala listens to lawyers who are experts on the NCAA process, which is not meant to mirror the process in a court of law. There is no plea bargaining. But schools anticipating postseason bans, TV bans and scholarship reductions can soften the blow and, in UM’s case, prevent the exodus of Golden’s players when they are upperclassmen. Shalala doesn’t want to make the same short-sighted mistake made by Ohio State, undefeated and in position to win a national title, but ineligible for any bowl because a ban wasn’t imposed earlier.

The infractions committee has to be fair to schools that are culpable and schools that have been compliant,” Potuto said. “What gets my goat is the perception that the NCAA is one big evil monolith. People serving on the committee would not attend meetings and study thick case binders in our spare time if we did not believe that athletics is important, energizing and unifying.”

“I think penalties need to be and will be ramped up, but let’s concentrate on serious stuff and less on stuff that does not confer a competitive advantage.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/19/3105596/hurricanes-donna-shalala-made.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Advertisement
“I think penalties need to be and will be ramped up, but let’s concentrate on serious stuff and less on stuff that does not confer a competitive advantage.”

WE SKATIN FELLAS

That last sentence is some scary **** ladies...scary ****.

It is, but this is the sentence immediately preceding it: "“We found some coaches did cost-benefit analysis: Is it worth it to cheat? Can we get away with it? How much do the sanctions matter? Can I just get hired by another school?” Potuto said."

Not as scary in that case and actually somewhat promising that all of the coaches who participated in this will get nailed.

Advertisement
Title of the thread does says FORMER Chair, right? So basically this is her 2 cents on something she's not involved in anymore, right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back