Former #1 Kicker: Michael Badgley

FRCane

Sophomore
He was 247's #1 Kicker in the '13 class.

http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Badgley-37672

Apparently he walked on last month after spending a year at Fork Union. I know its not earth shattering stuff here, but I haven't seen anything reported or talked about regarding this guy. I'm not sold on Goudis, so the more competition the better.

2014 (True Freshman): Enrolled at Miami in May 2014 ... Walk-on.

Prior to Miami: No.1 Ranked kicker in 247Sports Composite Rankings … Dean’s List at Fork Union Military Academy ... Attended FUMA post-graduate program while playing for head coach Col. John Shuman …School also produced former Canes Vinny Testaverde, James Jackson and Stephen McGuire ... Longest FG at FUMA was 58 yards.

High School: Selected second-team All-State by Star-Ledger ... Top ranked kicker in N.J. … Star-Ledger Player of the Year in Union County in 2012 … Maxwell Football Club Top 50 players in N.J. … Set 12 Summit HS football records, including longest field goal of 49 yards, most kicking points in season with 84, most consecutive PATs with 67, most kicking points in career with 202 … Scored in record 34 consecutive games for Summit with career total of 388 points, second to Willie Wilson’s (Kansas City Royals) 401 career all-time points scored for Summit, including record 181 total points scored in senior season ... Career totals include: 3,198 total all-purpose yards, 1,320 rushing yards, 607 receiving yards, 1,271 return yards ... Scored 31 TDs including 17 rushing, seven receiving, two by kickoff returns, four by punt returns and one pick-6 ... Varsity team captain, leading Summit to 12-0 season and N.J. State Football Championship at MetLife Stadium in 2012 playing for head coach John Liberato ... Also varsity team captain on state championship lacrosse and hockey teams at Summit.

[video=youtube_share;7K50ELMa_1g]http://youtu.be/7K50ELMa_1g[/video]

Advertisement
Weird that he'd be a #1 ranked kicker nationally yet second team all-state. I'll take him walking on any day though.

Advertisement
Weird that he'd be a #1 ranked kicker nationally yet second team all-state. I'll take him walking on any day though.

It's because the recruiting service rankings are independent of the state's assessment. When you see an all-state list there could be a QB who is 1st team all-state but it doesn't mean he's the highest ranking QB in his class in the state. Same thing can also be said when a player wins the heisman and then once he enters the draft several people in his positions are chosen before him.

This is very good news. Kickers are quite important and Golden has done a tremendous job of bringing in high quality kickers and punters during his stay here.

He was 247's #1 Kicker in the '13 class.

http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Badgley-37672

Apparently he walked on last month after spending a year at Fork Union. I know its not earth shattering stuff here, but I haven't seen anything reported or talked about regarding this guy. I'm not sold on Goudis, so the more competition the better.

2014 (True Freshman): Enrolled at Miami in May 2014 ... Walk-on.

Prior to Miami: No.1 Ranked kicker in 247Sports Composite Rankings … Dean’s List at Fork Union Military Academy ... Attended FUMA post-graduate program while playing for head coach Col. John Shuman …School also produced former Canes Vinny Testaverde, James Jackson and Stephen McGuire ... Longest FG at FUMA was 58 yards.

High School: Selected second-team All-State by Star-Ledger ... Top ranked kicker in N.J. … Star-Ledger Player of the Year in Union County in 2012 … Maxwell Football Club Top 50 players in N.J. … Set 12 Summit HS football records, including longest field goal of 49 yards, most kicking points in season with 84, most consecutive PATs with 67, most kicking points in career with 202 … Scored in record 34 consecutive games for Summit with career total of 388 points, second to Willie Wilson’s (Kansas City Royals) 401 career all-time points scored for Summit, including record 181 total points scored in senior season ... Career totals include: 3,198 total all-purpose yards, 1,320 rushing yards, 607 receiving yards, 1,271 return yards ... Scored 31 TDs including 17 rushing, seven receiving, two by kickoff returns, four by punt returns and one pick-6 ... Varsity team captain, leading Summit to 12-0 season and N.J. State Football Championship at MetLife Stadium in 2012 playing for head coach John Liberato ... Also varsity team captain on state championship lacrosse and hockey teams at Summit.

[video=youtube_share;7K50ELMa_1g]http://youtu.be/7K50ELMa_1g[/video]

Great pick up. I love how there is competition at every position on this team, we haven't had that in YEARS!!!

It's because the recruiting service rankings are independent of the state's assessment. When you see an all-state list there could be a QB who is 1st team all-state but it doesn't mean he's the highest ranking QB in his class in the state. Same thing can also be said when a player wins the heisman and then once he enters the draft several people in his positions are chosen before him.

Gotcha. Usually #1 national guys by the recruiting services are first team all state selections though. I'm inclined to chalk this one up to that newspaper just being weird or Jersey being a kicker hotbed that I wasn't aware of. Nonetheless, I love that he's a walk-on and will provide competition/depth at an oft undervalued position.

Advertisement

Gotcha. Usually #1 national guys by the recruiting services are first team all state selections though. I'm inclined to chalk this one up to that newspaper just being weird or Jersey being a kicker hotbed that I wasn't aware of. Nonetheless, I love that he's a walk-on and will provide competition/depth at an oft undervalued position.

Thought it was weird too, but he may have been viewed as 2nd team All - State at RB or WR where he was apparently pretty accomplished as.

Didn't we also pick up a kid named Bacon from NY. Supposedly he is really good aswell

Advertisement
Advertisement
i played for john shuman back in the '80's. guy has been coaching the post grad team there forever.

Definitely one bright spot since Golden arrived is how he has handled the kickers and punters. It's been pretty solid since he arrived and it hasn't been just from recruiting.

Advertisement
Back