For all the second guessers-What was really being said and when

RichtshawFerguson

Redshirt Freshman
Some highlights:

January 14th-WHO proclaims China says Wuhan Virus doesn't transmit person to person

January 31st-WHO, multiple main stream media outlets and the Speaker of the House say Trump's travel ban is unnecessary, ineffective and insensitive (AKA racist). Vox, Buzzfeed and Washington Post tell Americans to fear the flu, not this virus.

Early February-Mutliple New York City Health officials scream RESIST Wuhan Virus phobias. They invite all to Chinatown to enjoy their giant New Year Celebration. This week, more than a month after that festival, the director of that department announced he had the virus

Mid to late February-Washington Post, New York Times, Reuters and Foreign Policy warn against everything from a heavy government involvement to the ineffectiveness and insensitivity of Europe travel ban.

MARCH 2nd, three freaking weeks ago for ****'s sake-Mayor Di Blasio encourages all New Yorkers to get outside and enjoy their lives despite Corona Virus.
This is so stupid. You want to compare what *any* reporter in an article said vs the President?! The one who is actually responsible? And your links are mostly from January and early February. And you found a comment from De Blasio in March that was irresponsible. Compare it to POTUS:

Feb. 19 – “I think the numbers are getting progressively better as we go.”

Feb. 20 – “…within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero.”

Feb. 22 – “We have it very much under control in this country.”

Feb. 25 – “…the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus… They tried the impeachment hoax … and this is their new hoax.” (to Sean Hannity)

Feb. 26 – “We’re going down, not up.”

Feb. 27 – “It’s going to disappear. One day like a miracle – it will disappear.”

Feb. 29 – “Everything is really under control.” (The vaccine will be available) “very rapidly.”

March 2 – “It’s very mild.”

March 4 – “…we’re talking about very small numbers in the United States.”

March 6: “Anybody who wants a test can get a test. That’s the bottom line.”

March 7: “I’m not concerned at all. No, we’ve done a great job with it.”

March 10 – “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

March 16 – (asked to rate his own performance) “I’d rate it a ten.”

March 17 – “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

Go Canes!!

All ACC
This is so stupid. You want to compare what *any* reporter in an article said vs the President?! The one who is actually responsible? And your links are mostly from January and early February. And you found a comment from De Blasio in March that was irresponsible. Compare it to POTUS:

Feb. 19 – “I think the numbers are getting progressively better as we go.”

Feb. 20 – “…within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero.”

Feb. 22 – “We have it very much under control in this country.”

Feb. 25 – “…the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus… They tried the impeachment hoax … and this is their new hoax.” (to Sean Hannity)

Feb. 26 – “We’re going down, not up.”

Feb. 27 – “It’s going to disappear. One day like a miracle – it will disappear.”

Feb. 29 – “Everything is really under control.” (The vaccine will be available) “very rapidly.”

March 2 – “It’s very mild.”

March 4 – “…we’re talking about very small numbers in the United States.”

March 6: “Anybody who wants a test can get a test. That’s the bottom line.”

March 7: “I’m not concerned at all. No, we’ve done a great job with it.”

March 10 – “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

March 16 – (asked to rate his own performance) “I’d rate it a ten.”

March 17 – “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

Maybe you missed what the mayor, governor and top public health officials of the state with nearly 60% of all known cases said and did at the same time?

They not only failed to deter, they ENCOURAGED citizens to gather publicly until literally days ago. And in the wokest of fashion, in CHINATOWN of all places.

This thing has been relatively contained until this explosion in New York and to a lesser extent Mardi Gras in New Orleans last month.

HighSeas

Sophomore
WaPo and Buzzfeed are rags. Don't trust any politicians.

Sounds about right.

Trump admin failed on this virus but so did everyone else. The measures being taken now and moving forward through the summer will ultimately tell the tale.

HighSeas

Sophomore
Been my point of contention from day one.
Trump gets the brunt of criticism because of his dismissive comments. He has foot in mouth syndrome. The actions his admin took are no different from other nations and reflect the sentiments of the media and general population.

Months ago the Canadian government was telling everyone the risk is LOW and internet Chicken Littles (like yours truly) scoffed at that. That continued up until a few days ago where most stuff got shut down. Our PM has been lauded throughout this process when he imposed travel bans much later than Trump. We just got luckier and he didn't shoot himself in the foot nearly as much with public comments.