Final Ranking 116

Cane18

Freshman
The Defense was 116 in FBS final ranking (out of 120 teams), how much of this ranking is attributable to inexperience and how much is a result of coaching?

Advertisement
What was the scoring stat? That is what people should be REALLY concerned with first.

I also want to add that good luck finding someone who can ACCURATELY attribute percentages to the following

1. Coaching (DC and Position)

2. Youth, and

3. Inexperience

Last edited:
The Defense was 116 in FBS final ranking (out of 120 teams), how much of this ranking is attributable to inexperience and how much is a result of coaching?

Open up basically any thread the last year and you'll see the same discussion.

What about the overall lack of talent? We have a number of guys on the defensive roster recruited before AG got here that shouldn't be at Miami. Many of them play, some of the even start.

Advertisement
Anyone for.... gene-chizik-959d3b9b11a3ffb1_medium.jpg

Advertisement
Golden's legacy at UM will hinge on how vastly the defense improves. No question the coaches on this side of the ball seem to be the weak link.

Advertisement
Numbers do not lie. Our defensive coaching is turrible, just turrible. Even with freshman or RS freshman, you expect improvement week to week. Onofrio needs to be replaced as does Jethro Franklin.

It's multiple things, but, when things go that bad, and you're giving up almost 500 yards a game and allowing teams to convert 3rd and 4th downs at such a high percentage...

Assuming we don't have an FCS quality defense, talent wise (and we don't), statistically we're an outlier. Of the teams we played averaged together, they finished in the 50-60th range offensively. Just about to a team, their offenses performed much better on average in yards, 3rd down percentage, etc. against us. Funny thing is, only in two games did our offense have more time of possession than the other squad. Don't pin that on a quick strike offense, pin that historically terrible defense.

I'm honestly never really been a position coach basher, but if you look at the numbers, it's indicative of something drastically wrong, scheme-wise and strategically.

I just don't think it's scheme wise, this team was ranked 40th last season(IIRC) and we seen a big drop this season.. to me that says the talent fail off drastically.

/But I do add that Coach D has hurt himself with playcalling this year as well.

How much of it is bad scheme? And how much of it is bad scheme with the wrong players or too inexperienced players? What I'm getting at it, is if you take any defense from 2001-2003, and put this defensive coaching staff with them, would they be as good as they were under Shannon?

Advertisement
this is the second year of scheme...we see better results at uf in one year and nd in two years....there are clearly better staffs at implementing....now, everyone should have read the grantland 3/4 article so the question becomes, when will we see these zones closing...i did notice when dbs played five yards and pressed three recievers, pressure got there against duke...golden gave everyone on d a chance and got video....we essentially have to distill our two units, and incorporTe redshirts and 2013...its clear our dbs will be more active and experienced, which allows us more flexibility up front....being able to blend zone and man is key...soooo all in all, college football is becoming more o oriented...stanford gave up 400 or so to oregon, but held them to under 20....not giving up one big play gives more of a chance to make a play, something our young guys showed flashes of....interceptions from lbs and dbs, pressure from mccord...continuity at db is on its way, as the front 4...i thought this was the year for continuity at the lb position, and that hurt alot....all in all, c minus for the staff, and b plus for players like paul, tracy, bush, pierre, gunter, mccord...wash for perryman, and porter...ej, get your **** together or go...chick, will be ok but the coaches and him must be clear of his role, like jh and grimble

I'm not a bash the coaches guy, but if I see a LB covering slot receivers one more time, I think I'm going to throw something, anything, possibly another human, at the TV.

Advertisement
Back