Final Bowl Ban Thread

View as article
Advertisement
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The University of Miami has made the decision to withhold the football team from bowl consideration for the 2012 postseason. The decision was made in response to the ongoing NCAA inquiry and the University has informed both the NCAA and the Atlantic Coast Conference of its decision. The decision also means that should the Miami football team qualify for the ACC Championship Game, it will not be eligible to participate.
Interim Director of Athletics Blake James informed the team of the decision this morning, two days after the Hurricanes became bowl eligible with their sixth victory of the season.

The unprecedented decision to voluntarily withhold the football team from a second consecutive postseason was made by University leadership, including President Shalala, the Office of the General Counsel and Department of Athletics leaders. Considerable deliberation and discussion based on the status of the NCAA inquiry went into the decision-making process and, while acknowledging the impact that the decision will have on current student-athletes, coaches, alumni and fans, a determination was made that voluntarily withholding the football team from a second postseason was not only a prudent step for the University to take but will also allow for the football program and University to move forward in the most expedited manner possible.

The University and President Shalala have been clear from the start of the inquiry that Miami will cooperate fully and will seek the truth, no matter where the path might lead and that the institution will be stronger because of it. The University has already taken proactive measures to ensure more strict compliance with NCAA rules and continues to evaluate further steps.

No other self-imposed penalties have been issued at this time and to continue to protect the integrity of the inquiry, the University will have no further comment.

Advertisement
Don't understand the timing mostly.

The Duke game now reeks of BC potential.

It will take a lot, IMO, to get us up for this game. Hopefully Duke Johnson and some of the younger guys can step up big time.

Last edited:
Welp

ACC will just make sure that Duke wins on Saturday

Expect Ron Cherry to giveus the business

I hope that the NCAA was considering a one year ban, and this one serves to mitigate other sanctions. If the NCAA was going to impose a multi-year ban, then that's OK too. At least we will get credit for time served.

Advertisement
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami officials said Monday that the university is making what it called an "unprecedented decision" to self-impose a postseason ban for the second straight year, ending any chance of the Hurricanes playing in either the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game or a bowl.

Just like last year, Miami's decision was made with regard to the status of the ongoing NCAA investigation into the school's compliance practices. The inquiry began in 2011 after a former booster went public with allegations that he provided dozens of athletes and recruits with extra benefits such as cash and gifts.

By sitting out again, Miami -- which still has not been presented with its notice of allegations from the NCAA -- is hoping to lessen the hit of any looming sanctions that could be handed down when the investigation ends. Schools often self-impose penalties with hope that the NCAA takes those measures into account when doling out punishment.

Miami clearly hopes that a pair of postseason bans, especially when the Hurricanes still had a chance at a Bowl Championship Series berth this year, helps its cause with the NCAA. Whenever the process ends, sanctions against the football and men's basketball programs are expected, with penalties likely to include probation terms and scholarship reductions.

The university said interim athletic director Blake James informed the team of the decision Monday morning. University President Donna Shalala and the school's legal counsel were also involved in the decision.

"Considerable deliberation and discussion based on the status of the NCAA inquiry went into the decision-making process and, while acknowledging the impact that the decision will have on current student-athletes, coaches, alumni and fans, a determination was made that voluntarily withholding the football team from a second postseason was not only a prudent step for the University to take but will also allow for the football program and University to move forward in the most expedited manner possible," said the university's statement.

It continued, "The University and President Shalala have been clear from the start of the inquiry that Miami will cooperate fully and will seek the truth, no matter where the path might lead and that the institution will be stronger because of it. The University has already taken proactive measures to ensure more strict compliance with NCAA rules and continues to evaluate further steps."

On Saturday, after the Hurricanes (6-5) became bowl-eligible with a 40-9 win over South Florida, Miami coach Al Golden raved about how his team handled what has seemed like a never-ending amount of adversity.

"Come at me. Bury me all you want. Attack me all you want," Golden said. "These kids who have stuck it out, who have stayed here, who have never gotten one week in two years without hearing about all this nonsense, don't blame them. And I appreciate all those kids that not only stayed here, but those guys that answered the bell, that answered the call to come here and fix this. And we will get it fixed."

It's the first time since the 1981 and 1982 seasons that Miami will go consecutive years without a bowl trip. In 1983, the Hurricanes won the school's first of five national championships.

Schools that do not self-impose things like bowl bans when facing NCAA investigations often regret that decision. Most recently, Ohio State -- still unbeaten -- chose not to ban itself from a bowl last season, before the NCAA handed down punishments for the memorabilia-for-tattoos scandal. Instead of being in the mix for a BCS berth, and possibly a shot at the national title, the Buckeyes' season will end this weekend.

Miami's move, which was not unexpected, denies Miami the chance of playing in its first ACC title game -- the Hurricanes almost certainly would have gotten there if they beat Duke -- and also ends any chance that the team finishes its season playing what would amount to a home game at Sun Life Stadium, the site of the Orange Bowl.

The ACC champion goes to the Orange Bowl, and Miami's decision effectively ends the Coastal race. Georgia Tech will play Atlantic Division winner Florida State in Charlotte, N.C., on Dec. 1 for the conference title and automatic BCS spot.

Miami, however, still has a championship game of sorts waiting. If the Hurricanes beat Duke, they will finish tied for first in the Coastal. And for a program that's has been starting over in many respects, that alone would provide a boost heading into 2013.

"It's critical," Golden said. "It's critical for our seniors, for them to have weathered what they will have weathered and be able to have an opportunity to go out like that. And if you just look at it all the way down the line, if you're a freshman and you're playing for that your freshman year, now you become accustomed. You changed the culture. They start to understand what it means."

The rogue booster who sparked the investigation, convicted and jailed Ponzi scheme architect Nevin Shapiro, pleaded guilty to charges that he orchestrated a $930 million scam in September 2010 -- three months before Golden arrived in Coral Gables.

"I've never been in a kids' home recruiting where I didn't have to answer those questions," Golden said. "And I can't wait for that day. I thank the parents and the players that stayed here to fight through this."

Miami's decision will add to the ACC's bowl dilemma this season.

The ACC has affiliations with eight bowl games, but this year, it will be unable to fill those spots. North Carolina is ineligible because of NCAA sanctions, Miami is choosing to be ineligible, and Maryland, Boston College and Virginia have already lost too many games to be bowl-qualified -- so at most, seven teams will be going to the postseason. Wake Forest (5-6) and Virginia Tech (5-6) could merit bowl invitations if they win this coming weekend.

The ACC pools its bowl revenue and shares it among all 12 of its member schools, but it's unclear how that process will be affected -- if at all -- since the league will not receive payouts from the usual number of postseason matchups.

I hope that the NCAA was considering a one year ban, and this one serves to mitigate other sanctions. If the NCAA was going to impose a multi-year ban, then that's OK too. At least we will get credit for time served.

There are no printed sentencing guidelines, so it's up to the NCAA.

I don't know if they consider a

2 year bowl ban = 10 scholarship losses

or

1 Extra Bowl Ban = 5 Less Scholarship Losses

Advertisement

There are no printed sentencing guidelines, so it's up to the NCAA.

I don't know if they consider a

2 year bowl ban = 10 scholarship losses

or

1 Extra Bowl Ban = 5 Less Scholarship Losses

Doesn't even matter. What matters is that with 2 self imposed bowl bans under our belt the chances are pretty fair that when the penalties do get formally announced...we won't be missing any more bowls after this year. The scholarship reductions were coming no matter what......what kids want to hear when Golden is sitting in their living rooms is that they'll get an opportunity to go to a bowl all 4 years they are on campus.

This is a good decision.. The correct decision. The prudent decision. We may finally start to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Advertisement
Man this really sucks. Feel terrible for Mike James. Your last game played is at Duke. Not cool

As opposed to playing in the Sedano's toilet bowl on Dec 9th?

Since when has this program been about going to 3rd rate bowls and losing 5 games a year? Would you rather tell Mike James and a relatively small senior class they are going to miss their bowl or have to tell a larger senior class next year or even 2 years from now that THEY won't get to go to a bowl?

It sucks no matter what...but it 's the right move to take the lumps now.

Man this really sucks. Feel terrible for Mike James. Your last game played is at Duke. Not cool

As opposed to playing in the Sedano's toilet bowl on Dec 9th?

Since when has this program been about going to 3rd rate bowls and losing 5 games a year? Would you rather tell Mike James and a relatively small senior class they are going to miss their bowl or have to tell a larger senior class next year or even 2 years from now that THEY won't get to go to a bowl?

It sucks no matter what...but it 's the right move to take the lumps now.

What? Im talking ACCCG. The first time we make it and we can't go. I understand and support the decision. Still doesnt change my post

Advertisement
Back