Fast-rising 2022 4-star OT Shor begins building bond with Justice

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Two weeks back, 2022 Denmark (GA) 4-star OT Dayne Shor earned an offer from Garin Justice and the Miami Hurricanes after speaking to the UM offensive line coach for nearly 45 minutes over the phone.

“It was pretty cool, we had a pretty good conversation,” Shor said. “[Justice] thinks that I can really help out, he thinks I’m a good fit for his coaching style and how he likes to play.”

With the UM offer in hand, the 6-6 295 pound lineman says his interest in Miami couldn’t be much higher with new OC Rhett Lashlee directing the offense.

“Miami is a really good university in a beautiful area,” Shor said. “They’re building up the new offensive staff, I think [Lashlee] is a really good addition to their staff. I definitely can’t wait to see how their new offense turns out, I think it’s going to be great.”

The Canes now join a race for Shor that has been heating up recently, as the Denmark star has been one of the most popular players in the country with 13 Power 5 offers in the past month, including from top programs like Georgia, Florida, LSU, Penn State, and Oregon.

“I’ve been having a really good time with all the opportunities I’m getting,” Shor said. “It is a bit of a downside in that I’m not able to visit the schools that I want to go see, but during these times, I know you have to remain safe and I know the universities want to keep their facilities clean, I understand that 100%. In this time, I’ve been building good relationships with coaches and seeing what their school can offer me, and seeing if that’s where I want to go. I’ve developed some really good relationships, I’ve met some really unbelievable coaches.”

In the past, Shor has visited schools such as Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, and FSU, and he has offers from each, but one SEC school in particular is expected to be a major player in his recruitment.

“I’ve been to Auburn a few times now, I like it,” Shor said. “I have a lot of family ties to Auburn – my grandpa played basketball there and a lot of my family went to Auburn as well. I was a little sad that coach (JB) Grimes left, but of course I’m looking forward to establishing a relationship with coach (Jack) Bicknell and seeing what he’s all about.”

With a rapidly expanding list of offers, Shor admits that making the right choice won’t be easy. As of now, Shor’s current plan is to narrow down his options next spring and make a decision by next summer so he can start the process of early enrolling in his school of choice.

“It’s going to be a really tough decision that’s for sure,” Shor said. “I do want to commit by sometime next summer, but if I find something I really like and I know for sure where I want to go, I might commit earlier. There’s no telling when I’ll commit, I guess just when it feels right.”

What does Shor anticipate being the main criteria he will look for in a school?

“First and foremost is academics - Is the university going to give me the right education to prepare me for the rest of my life?” Shor said. “I plan on doing engineering, and I actually have an opportunity to go some of the best engineering schools in the nation – Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Auburn all have really good engineering schools. I want to make sure I can live well and make some good money after football.

“The second thing is obviously the relationship with the coaches, that right there is super important for me. Me personally, I’m a big family guy, so that goes a long way with me because if you have a good relationship with the coaches, that establishes a good family environment between you, the coaches, and the other players. If you have a good relationship with the coaches, they’re going to work you harder and make you a lot better. The other thing is the campus and the facilities and if I can picture myself there for the next four years of my life. Am I going to enjoy it, am I going to have fun, is it a good area, does my family like it? I definitely want my family to enjoy the environment and the whole experience as well.”

As a sophomore in 2019, Shor protected the blind side for NC State 2021 QB commit and former Miami target Aaron McLaughlin, and he also helped lead the 7-3 Danes’ rushing attack to over 170 yards per game in 10 contests.

“I like to go fast - I have this mindset of if I go slow, then I’m not doing things right,” Shor said. “If I go fast, that’s when I feel like I’m doing things good. I come off the ball really well, and I think that my athleticism and my feet are pretty good as well.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Need him on an OV the same weekend as HBK!
shawn michaels wrestling GIF by WWE

Unfortunately , the U's engineering school is not that highly rated.

Maybe considered average at best.

Hope it doesnt deter this kid, but I think GT, Fla and FSU, Auburn all have higher rated engineering schools than the U.

I guess it depends on what type of engineer you want to be but the only school of the ones he’s talked about that truly sticks out is GT. If he legit cares about engineering prowess then he’ll go there.

There’s really not much of a difference between the mid tier schools which is exactly what Auburn, ASU, UF, etc are. My guess is he just wants a school with a decent program which most of these have.

Advertisement
See, this is the ridiculous bullsh!te that you have to slog through with "Canes fans"...

Miami's College of Engineering is good, not great. Just like with some of the "football stats experts" on this board, you will find dipsh!tes who can "quote academic stats", but have no idea of the quality of the professors, facilities, or programs. The primary problems that UM has with our CoE is that the main Engineering building is VERY old (we are working on that) and that many of our students are foreign students, thus we do not place as many UM grads into US-based companies.

But it is not a situation where all the GaTech Engineering graduates get jobs, and all the UM Engineering grads are unemployed and homeless.

The kid is a football player and is interested in an Engineering degree. If his sole goal was "best Engineering program possible", then he would have put Stanford and half of the schools in California on his list of top schools, and not Auburn and Arizona State. If he wants "best football program where I will have an engineering degree to fall back on in 10 years", then he can be like Chud and pick UM.

Oh, and let's not forget about Myron Rolle, who was very interested in academics and med school, but he picked F$U, which has one of the worst (and newest) med schools in the country. He also became a Rhodes Scholar and is doing his neurosurgery residency at Harvard.

I don't know if we will sign this kid, but I'm tired of "Canes fans" that ****e-talk our chances because they googled UM's College of Engineering ranking. Have some pride.

I am stating a fact, Miami has a mid tier Engineering School.

It's not some online rating service, although these services do confirm this.

Its reality! Ask a top tier academic/engineer who knows how to assess a university curriculum, facilities, faculty etc. and you will receive the answer.

I hope Shor comes to Miami and most importantly, I want Miami to win and win big.

I love my school, and support it in every way I can.

But, The reality is not every school is right for the recruit. And Miami has a lot to offer any potential student athlete. But to say Miami has a top tier engineering comparable with Georgia Tech, Florida, and surprisingly Auburn and ASU (all considered top 50 engineering schools) is just not accurate.

I am stating a fact, Miami has a mid tier Engineering School.

It's not some online rating service, although these services do confirm this.

Its reality! Ask a top tier academic/engineer who knows how to assess a university curriculum, facilities, faculty etc. and you will receive the answer.

I hope Shor comes to Miami and most importantly, I want Miami to win and win big.

I love my school, and support it in every way I can.

But, The reality is not every school is right for the recruit. And Miami has a lot to offer any potential student athlete. But to say Miami has a top tier engineering comparable with Georgia Tech, Florida, and surprisingly Auburn and ASU (all considered top 50 engineering schools) is just not accurate.

Who said that Miami has a top tier College of Engineering? Because I did not see that on this thread, at all.

I'm tired of exaggerations and false comparisons. I'm also tired of EVERY ******* RECRUITING THREAD being filled with "he's never coming here" bullcrap, even if it's "he's never coming here for academic reasons" bullcrap.

Where did you see, me state he is he is not coming here. All I stated was miami is not a top engineering school and unfortunately, not on the level of the other schools that he seems interested in.

The bullcrap is your initial response.

Q

Advertisement
Back