Fall Practice Summary- Day 4

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
QB play:

Tate Martell had a better day than he did yesterday but is still dealing with inconsistencies. In 11v11, Tate was sharp when he had a clean pocket. When the pocket did break down, Martell used his athleticism to get out of trouble but didn't throw on the run much. Martell looked good throwing the endzone fade route and also got the team into field goal range in the two-minute drill.

Jarren Williams continues to be the most consistently accurate quarterback, but his accuracy faded during 11v11. Williams excelled when throwing the endzone fade route. One area where Williams did shine during 11v11 is scrambling. When a hole opened up, Williams exploded through and showed his speed.

N’Kosi Perry had a better day today than he had Saturday or Sunday. One area where he did struggle was his ball placement on the endzone fade. On Perry’s first 11v11 reps, he drove the team down the field and looked comfortable and confident in the pocket. When Perry ran 11v11 later in practice, he did not play as well.

Other Notes:

Keontra Smith continues to impress in coverage. He showed off his range by coming down and breaking up a pass intended for the tight end in 7v7 play.

Redshirt freshman DT Jordan Miller has slimmed down, and the difference in play is noticeable. He was a problem with his power and his quickness off the ball.

Brevin Jordan did not get any 11v11 reps today, but he did have his helmet and was on the field the entire practice.

Jeff Thomas left practice about halfway through but later returned and was seen stretching with Coach Feeley.

Trevon Hill played both with his hand in the dirt and standing up.

There were a few drops today. I spotted one from Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, Brian Hightower, and Mike Harley.

DeeJay Dallas fumbled on the first play of 11v11.

Nigel Bethel, Mark Pope, Al Blades, and DJ Ivey all hit 20 MPH

Big Cane Drill:

John Campbell vs Scott Patchan ended in a stalemate.
Dee Wiggins vs Trajan Bandy ended in a stalemate.
DeeJay Dallas and Zach McCloud went twice, and both ended in a stalemate.
Tate Martell beat N’Kosi Perry.
Chigozie Nnoruka beat Ousman Traore twice.

Some 1v1 results:

Mike Harley beat Derrick Smith.
Jeff Thomas beat Al Blades.
Dee Wiggins beat DJ Ivey.
Marshall Few beat Gurvan Hall.
Mark Pope beat Nigel Bethel.
Jeremiah Payton beat Christian Williams.
KJ Osborn beat Keontra Smith.
Te’Cory Couch beat Brian Hightower.
Al Blades beat Mark Pope.
Dee Wiggins beat Trajan Bandy via pass interference.
Marshall Few beat Amari Carter via pass interference.
Jeff Thomas beat Nigel Bethel.
Jeremiah Payton beat DJ Ivey.

Advertisement
Big Cane Drill--"Deejay Dallas and Zach McCloud went twice, and both ended in a stalemate. "
DJ has some power for a CB

Advertisement
Redshirt freshman DT Jordan Miller has slimmed down, and the difference in play is noticeable. He was a problem with his power and his quickness off the ball.
giphy.gif

The stuff about jordan miller is getting me hype. Seems like bethel is really taking his lumps in practice. And man feeley is gonna be yoked by the end of camp. The 20 mph stuff is fun to read about
Yep. Of all the news, hearing about him making plays and looking the part is probably the most exciting. Slimmed down, but still massive, and very strong and quick. I've said it since I first saw his tape. His first step is elite. Even more impressive considering his **** size.

Advertisement
Oh man Drops, and look who it was. Other than Pope all the same guys. It was a pretty big issue last year. I mean not as bad as the punting obviously, but the drops sure hurt us a lot.

I am starting to feel like we just dont have a QB1 on the roster. In that scenario, I like the consistency from JW. And to be honest I had written him off. It looks like the work he has put in is paying off. I guess we will see. Obviously what we see on the twitter sphere is not all that is happening, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Were they in pads today or not yet?
Helmet/pads from the looks of the pics on Twitter.

What I want to know about the QBs is are we putting them in situations to make easy completions, and they're just missing them? Are we seeing more drops, and that makes a QB look not as good since they're not completions? How are the reps being split between Tate/Kosi/Jarren as far as being against the #1 defense? There's some nuance here to take into consideration when reading the reports...and those are questions we probably won't get answered completely.

I will say this - almost always, the defense starts out ahead of the offense when camp begins. As camp goes on, you'd like to see the offense start to assert itself more, and the QBs in particular, so we should see an uptick over the next few weeks naturally. If we don't see some of that start to materialize, especially as the QB battle gets narrowed down, then it might be time to be concerned for how we'll be offensively on 8/24.

I've not been to a practice, only seen pictures and videos so far...but from what I can tell from watching those things and reading the reviews across multiple sites...we don't know anything definitively yet, other than it's still a competition. No one has made Manny's job easy in picking who QB1 is going to be up to this point.

QB play:

Tate Martell had a better day than he did yesterday but is still dealing with inconsistencies. In 11v11, Tate was sharp when he had a clean pocket. When the pocket did break down, Martell used his athleticism to get out of trouble but didn't throw on the run much. Martell looked good throwing the endzone fade route and also got the team into field goal range in the two-minute drill.

Jarren Williams continues to be the most consistently accurate quarterback, but his accuracy faded during 11v11. Williams excelled when throwing the endzone fade route. One area where Williams did shine during 11v11 is scrambling. When a hole opened up, Williams exploded through and showed his speed.

N’Kosi Perry had a better day today than he had Saturday or Sunday. One area where he did struggle was his ball placement on the endzone fade. On Perry’s first 11v11 reps, he drove the team down the field and looked comfortable and confident in the pocket. When Perry ran 11v11 later in practice, he did not play as well.

Other Notes:

Keontra Smith continues to impress in coverage. He showed off his range by coming down and breaking up a pass intended for the tight end in 7v7 play.

Brevin Jordan did not get any 11v11 reps today, but he did have his helmet and was on the field the entire practice.

Jeff Thomas left practice about halfway through but later returned and was seen stretching with Coach Feeley.

Trevon Hill played both with his hand in the dirt and standing up.

There were a few drops today. I spotted one from Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, Brian Hightower, and Mike Harley.

DeeJay Dallas fumbled on the first play of 11v11.

Nigel Bethel, Mark Pope, Al Blades, and DJ Ivey all hit 20 MPH

Big Cane Drill:

John Campbell vs Scott Patchan ended in a stalemate.
Dee Wiggins vs Trajan Bandy ended in a stalemate.
DeeJay Dallas and Zach McCloud went twice, and both ended in a stalemate.
Tate Martell beat N’Kosi Perry.
Chigozie Nnoruka beat Ousman Traore twice.

Some 1v1 results:

Mike Harley beat Derrick Smith.
Jeff Thomas beat Al Blades.
Dee Wiggins beat DJ Ivey.
Marshall Few beat Gurvan Hall.
Mark Pope beat Nigel Bethel.
Jeremiah Payton beat Christian Williams.
KJ Osborn beat Keontra Smith.
Te’Cory Couch beat Brian Hightower.
Al Blades beat Mark Pope.
Dee Wiggins beat Trajan Bandy via pass interference.
Marshall Few beat Amari Carter via pass interference.
Jeff Thomas beat Nigel Bethel.
Jeremiah Payton beat DJ Ivey.

Did our DBs have a rough day in 1v1? Or does it just look that way because the 1v1 u to posted were the random ones they lost? I know this isn't all the 1v1's because there's a twitter video of Knowles being Knowles. But.. from what you saw, they won 2 reps and lost 12 (counting knowles clip).

Did our DBs have a rough day in 1v1? Or does it just look that way because the 1v1 u to posted were the random ones they lost? I know this isn't all the 1v1's because there's a twitter video of Knowles being Knowles. But.. from what you saw, they won 2 reps and lost 12 (counting knowles clip).
I made a note of every 1v1 I could but I missed some. I will say they looked better in 7v7 and 11v11.

Advertisement
Back