Fall Practice Summary - Day 2

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
QB play

This is where I spent the majority of my time on Saturday. Here is how I saw it. We did not see the start of practice, so I did not see who took the first reps.

Martell was throwing on time, and with purpose and at his best, he was the top QB. The biggest question with Martell is consistency, and that is still a question mark for him. It should be noted that most of Martell’s struggles came when he was working with the walk-ons. I can not talk about Martell without highlighting the connection he has with KJ Osborn. Every time the two are lined up together, good things happen.

Jarren Williams also had a good day and was the most consistent of the three. Williams’ best trait has to be his accuracy, especially on crossing routes. His pinpoint accuracy allows the receiver to catch the ball and not slow down at all. Even on incompletions, Williams’ always keeps the ball away from the defenders.

N’Kosi Perry was the most inconsistent of the three, and his accuracy varies based on what route he is throwing. Perry’s best throw by far was the intermediate outside passes. Both the comeback route and the out route were money for Perry all night. Perry’s struggles came on the deep routes. When Perry threw the fly route, his passes sailed toward the sideline and out of the receivers reach. This was a consistent issue for him.

Other Notes

One of the top plays of the day was a one-handed catch from Will Mallory. He is extremely smooth as a route runner, and his catch radius is next level.

Something fun for the players is that everyone’s speed is being tracked. Coach David Feeley has to do ten push-ups every time a player eclipses 20 MPH. Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborn, Gilbert Frierson, Mike Harley, and Te’Cory Couch all hit the 20 MPH mark. Dee Wiggins just missed the mark clocking in at 19 MPH. Harley has the team record at 23 MPH, but that came during conditioning drills, not practice.

Some 1v1 results

Jeff Thomas beat Al Blades

Mark Pope beat Nigel Bethel

KJ Osborn beat Gilbert Frierson

Advertisement
Something fun for the players is that everyone’s speed is being tracked. Coach David Feeley has to do ten push-ups every time a player eclipses 20 MPH. Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborn, Gilbert Frierson, Mike Harley, and Te’Cory Couch all hit the 20 MPH mark. Dee Wiggins just missed the mark clocking in at 19 MPH. Harley has the team record at 23 MPH, but that came during conditioning drills, not practice.
fits in with manny's focus on competition. those dudes will be bookin it all day just to see feeley drop and give em 10 lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
QB play:

This is where I spent the majority of my time on Saturday. Here is how I saw it. We did not see the start of practice, so I did not see who took the first reps.

Martell was throwing on time, and with purpose and at his best, he was the top QB. The biggest question with Martell is consistency, and that is still a question mark for him. It should be noted that most of Martell’s struggles came when he was working with the walk-ons. I can not talk about Martell without highlighting the connection he has with KJ Osborn. Every time the two are lined up together, good things happen.

Jarren Williams also had a good day and was the most consistent of the three. Williams’ best trait has to be his accuracy, especially on crossing routes. His pinpoint accuracy allows the receiver to catch the ball and not slow down at all. Even on incompletions, Williams’ always keeps the ball away from the defenders.

N’Kosi Perry was the most inconsistent of the three, and his accuracy varies based on what route he is throwing. Perry’s best throw by far was the intermediate outside passes. Both the comeback route and the out route were money for Perry all night. Perry’s struggles came on the deep routes. When Perry threw the fly route, his passes sailed toward the sideline and out of the receivers reach. This was a consistent issue for him.

Other Notes:

One of the top plays of the day was a one-handed catch from Will Mallory. He is extremely smooth as a route runner, and his catch radius is next level.

Some 1v1 results:

Feeley is really growing on me.

Could he be as important a hire as Enos?

It’s probably those vest that look like sports bras. The have gps trackers in them. It allows you to use data to track players speed and fatigue I believe which in turn allows you to better take care of your players health.

Nice, I like this more than 40 times. Would be cool to see them use this for certain prospects at paradise camp next year to gauge their 'game speed' (although I know this staff is against using some of the combine metrics as stated by Manny at Paradise)

Advertisement
QB play:

Other Notes:

Some 1v1 results:

Williams the most consistent but Martell is the top QB? You lost me right there bro

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back