Gnomes & pucks: this thread sucks

Advertisement
Seems like Gino has gotten the money to start flowing, but I’ll believe covered seats when I first see a reliable scoreboard radar gun and field microphone that doesn’t regularly short out during the national anthem.

Advertisement
I remember when Mark Light was one of the premiere stadiums, now it's merely average. Some of the new parks that have been and will be built are unreal.

I remember when Mark Light was one of the premiere stadiums, now it's merely average. Some of the new parks that have been and will be built are unreal.

It definitely is not average. Definitely top 30 and most probably top 20. They need a new Ron Fraser building, batting cages down the right field line, and they should also convert the aluminum stands into permanent seating. They also need "chairbacks" in all seating located in the main stand.

It definitely is not average. Definitely top 30 and most probably top 20. They need a new Ron Fraser building, batting cages down the right field line, and they should also convert the aluminum stands into permanent seating. They also need "chairbacks" in all seating located in the main stand.

You have not seen what is going on around the country if you think we have a top 20 stadium.

Watching game with my wife today and she said, “that field doesn’t look very good. I’m surprised Miami plays at a place like that.”

Alex Rodriguez is still nice, but it’s not elite. I say again, it always shocks me that Missouri State baseball plays in a nicer park than Miami.

Advertisement
Watching game with my wife today and she said, “that field doesn’t look very good. I’m surprised Miami plays at a place like that.”

Alex Rodriguez is still nice, but it’s not elite. I say again, it always shocks me that Missouri State baseball plays in a nicer park than Miami.

My wife and I attended a UK/UL game a couple of years ago (and this was in their old stadium), and they had an area out behind the right field fence w concessions, open areas/platforms for viewing the game and visiting w other fans, etc. It seemed to be a student friendly area that helped get current students interested in the program while enjoying a nice spring evening outdoors.

I wonder if we'd consider doing something like that, in addition to the other issues already pointed out around seating and indoor cages.

It's amazing that Miami fans, who won't spend money for the other revenue sports, consistently expects the school to spend money like it has a shelf life. Alex Rodriguez Park is **** good, and unlike a school like Missouri State, who barely spends money on their other two revenue sports, the Miami baseball program doesn't get first dibs when the revenue pie is split.

Could there be upgrades? Of course, but let's stop acting like this program is playing in some dump that a good little league team would be ashamed to play in. Lots of good has happened in the facilities field in Coral Gables over the last decade, and while work remains to be done, let's stop it with the constant "Why don't we have XYZ" garbage. If you want Miami to spend money, START WRITING SOME **** CHECKS. That's something you rarely see from the "Fanbase". It's a cheap, frontrunner group of people that expect the school to spend money that isn't there.

It's amazing that Miami fans, who won't spend money for the other revenue sports, consistently expects the school to spend money like it has a shelf life. Alex Rodriguez Park is **** good, and unlike a school like Missouri State, who barely spends money on their other two revenue sports, the Miami baseball program doesn't get first dibs when the revenue pie is split.

Could there be upgrades? Of course, but let's stop acting like this program is playing in some dump that a good little league team would be ashamed to play in. Lots of good has happened in the facilities field in Coral Gables over the last decade, and while work remains to be done, let's stop it with the constant "Why don't we have XYZ" garbage. If you want Miami to spend money, START WRITING SOME **** CHECKS. That's something you rarely see from the "Fanbase". It's a cheap, frontrunner group of people that expect the school to spend money that isn't there.

How do you know a bunch haven't?

Advertisement
Alex Rodriguez Park is **** good, and unlike a school like Missouri State, who barely spends money on their other two revenue sports, the Miami baseball program doesn't get first dibs when the revenue pie is split.

It was meant as a simple observation from someone who lives in Springfield, MO and knows full well how little relevance Missouri State on anything in the sports world, that they’d have better baseball facilities.

What you wrote above is not true though. It’s a basketball school. Plain and simple. Baseball is as much an afterthought sports there as it is at Miami. I am simply relaying an outsider’s point of view that I would’ve expected a school getting the revenues they do to have much better facilities than Missouri State and it’s only true in football.

Covered seating is a must. There is a reason you always see people jammed in the left field corner under the trees.

It was meant as a simple observation from someone who lives in Springfield, MO and knows full well how little relevance Missouri State on anything in the sports world, that they’d have better baseball facilities.

What you wrote above is not true though. It’s a basketball school. Plain and simple. Baseball is as much an afterthought sports there as it is at Miami. I am simply relaying an outsider’s point of view that I would’ve expected a school getting the revenues they do to have much better facilities than Missouri State and it’s only true in football.

View attachment 80664View attachment 80665View attachment 80666

Nice job failing to note that Missouri State plays in a baseball stadium paid for by a MINOR LEAGUE FRANCHISE. In other words, the school didn't have to spend much, if anything for their field. Compare that to Miami, who can't go to any city council, can't go to any state legislature, no one. Miami has to fund construction through private donations, Miami has to build and do ON THEIR OWN. Let's see how nice Missouri State's crap would be if they weren't in bumble**k, and they didn't happen to be in a place where minor league baseball was a legit attraction.

By the way, the Watsco Center isn't the ONLY arena in Miami, it was designed to be a medium sized arena as a result. So of course the arena isn't going to look like an NBA arena, like the JQH Arena in Springfield. Never mind the fact that I'm willing to bet that Missouri State didn't have to fight with the city to get capacity where they wanted it. UMiami eventually gave up on having the arena seat 10k, because the City of Coral Gables made it clear they wouldn't allow it, under any circumstance. By the way, what's wrong with the Watsco center? It's an intimate arena where there isn't a bad seat in the house. It's right next door to the field house(another outlay for the athletic department), a practice facility that even pros admit is **** good. Watsco doesn't have a ribbon board, who the F cares? Missouri State spent an extra 20 million dollars on their arena, Miami didn't, so of course they would have a couple of extra goodies thrown in. What could have made it possible for a school to spend an extra TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS on a facility? Oh that's right, they had ONE donor that gave 30 million dollars on his own. Miami doesn't have a sugar daddy like that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How do you know a bunch haven't?

You think Miami is hoarding piles of cash that this "Fanbase" is giving them? Really? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that historically, Miami fans barely give, they barely donate. There's a reason why Miami has significantly fewer sports that our peers, and it's because of finances, pure and simple. There's a reason that Miami had to **** near beg donors over the years to get us in the ballpark in regards to salaries, it's because the money isn't there in the aggregate. Miami had to CROWDFUND the IPF project, something that was desperately needed, with a name coach, coming off two **** good seasons. Let that settle in. That's how cheap this group is and most likely will always be.

You think Miami is hoarding piles of cash that this "Fanbase" is giving them? Really? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that historically, Miami fans barely give, they barely donate. There's a reason why Miami has significantly fewer sports that our peers, and it's because of finances, pure and simple. There's a reason that Miami had to **** near beg donors over the years to get us in the ballpark in regards to salaries, it's because the money isn't there in the aggregate. Miami had to CROWDFUND the IPF project, something that was desperately needed, with a name coach, coming off two **** good seasons. Let that settle in. That's how cheap this group is and most likely will always be.
You seem a tad high-strung, I don't see anyone trashing the stadium, merely making observations. Personally I love Mark Light, I grew up there, it's just interesting to see how so many schools have now prioritized stadiums for a sport that I'm sure very few operate in the black on.

Nice job failing to note that Missouri State plays in a baseball stadium paid for by a MINOR LEAGUE FRANCHISE. In other words, the school didn't have to spend much, if anything for their field. Compare that to Miami, who can't go to any city council, can't go to any state legislature, no one. Miami has to fund construction through private donations, Miami has to build and do ON THEIR OWN. Let's see how nice Missouri State's crap would be if they weren't in bumble**k, and they didn't happen to be in a place where minor league baseball was a legit attraction.

By the way, the Watsco Center isn't the ONLY arena in Miami, it was designed to be a medium sized arena as a result. So of course the arena isn't going to look like an NBA arena, like the JQH Arena in Springfield. Never mind the fact that I'm willing to bet that Missouri State didn't have to fight with the city to get capacity where they wanted it. UMiami eventually gave up on having the arena seat 10k, because the City of Coral Gables made it clear they wouldn't allow it, under any circumstance. By the way, what's wrong with the Watsco center? It's an intimate arena where there isn't a bad seat in the house. It's right next door to the field house(another outlay for the athletic department), a practice facility that even pros admit is **** good. Watsco doesn't have a ribbon board, who the F cares? Missouri State spent an extra 20 million dollars on their arena, Miami didn't, so of course they would have a couple of extra goodies thrown in. What could have made it possible for a school to spend an extra TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS on a facility? Oh that's right, they had ONE donor that gave 30 million dollars on his own. Miami doesn't have a sugar daddy like that.

You seem shook.

You have to view it from the lens of our "true" competitors.

UM will never lose a baseball player to a Big-10 or NOrtheast school due to the weather of those regions.

I have been to the stadiums of Stanford, Fullerton, USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, Irvine and Long Beach State. MArk Light in its current version is better than any of the California baseball stadiums. The "Dirt Bags" play in a converted minor league park, but have a terrible game-day atmosphere. They also use a high school field for practice.

South Carolina, LSU and Mississippi State have the best stadiums in all of college baseball.

UF and FSU seem to have much better stadiums as well.

Mississippi, Alabama (imagine what $43M buys you in Tuscaloosa), Arkansas and Georgia all have better stadiums as well.

In Texas, A&M and UT have much better stadiums. Rice's stadium is comparable to Mark Light.

That is why I believe that UM is a top-30 venue.

From what I heard this weekend, the batting cages are fully funded. John Jay, Yonder, Alex Rodrigues, DiMare family and a few others have agreed to donate (not sure on amounts), and they are going to try and re-build the Ron Fraser building as well.

They are hoping for a good year that will generate enthusiasm for the endeavor. The IPF hurts us due to donor fatigue....

Batting cages will be installed either way... That is what I heard today.

Advertisement
Back