Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
I think you need to relax a little. We have one of the top recruiters in all of college football as the HC. We have an NIL budget that certainly puts us in the top 10 in the country.
And more importantly, if you listened to Mario’s interview at ACC media days with Leon Searcy, who I assume you know, then you would have heard Mario state that UM used spring practice to show recruits how UM’s practices and to find out which players were ready to come into a program and provide that level of effort every day. FYI he learned this at Bama. Lets the kids who won‘t work hard enough weed themselves out of your recruiting because regardless of their Ranking, we won’t win with those kids. Mario went on to say that UM has made very good progress with the kids it is targeting.

And if you were paying attention to how Mario recruits, we will not have a long list of early commitments. He waits to make sure the kids are completely committed and to make sure it is the type of person/player UM truly wants. Mario is deliberate and his recruiting style reflects his personality. There are no awards given for recruiting rankings in the Spring, as we learned over the past 10 years with de-commitments and poor evaluations.

Finally, with regards to QB’s, because no school’s NIL budget is unlimited, there will be a calculation as to whether 250-500k is worth it for an unproven high school player. OR, would that money be better spent attracting a transfer who has shown success at the college level. Understand that for those who understand the nuances available with NIL and the transfer portal, the old model of recruiting will need to be revised, and is already being revised by those coaches and programs who are ahead of the process.
I get it, I really do. I’ve only ever said that I really like Mario, I think he’s the best recruiting HC in the game. But in current offseason message board conversations, all I have to go by today are the current facts that are available. Right now, that data, and the direction our apparent targets have trended, doesn't appear great. I still whole heartedly believe there is reason for great optimism, and I’m very excited for the Mario era. But I’m just not going to sit here and convince myself that I should be excited for every unranked/low 3star we start to recruit. More often than not, that means we are missing on kids, not that we found the gold mine of hidden gems.

I get it, I really do. I’ve only ever said that I really like Mario, I think he’s the best recruiting HC in the game. But in current offseason message board conversations, all I have to go by today are the current facts that are available. Right now, that data, and the direction our apparent targets have trended, doesn't appear great. I still whole heartedly believe there is reason for great optimism, and I’m very excited for the Mario era. But I’m just not going to sit here and convince myself that I should be excited for every unranked/low 3star we start to recruit. More often than not, that means we are missing on kids, not that we found the gold mine of hidden gems.
I think some of these top tier kids aren’t committing just yet. We’re in it for some and not in it for others.

Advertisement
Finally, with regards to QB’s, because no school’s NIL budget is unlimited, there will be a calculation as to whether 250-500k is worth it for an unproven high school player. OR, would that money be better spent attracting a transfer who has shown success at the college level. Understand that for those who understand the nuances available with NIL and the transfer portal, the old model of recruiting will need to be revised, and is already being revised by those coaches and programs who are ahead of the process.

I agree with what you said, but wanted to discuss this portion. You couldn't be more correct the old model is dead and will get your *** fired quickly! I don't love the idea of poaching kids off other teams. I also happen to think that the transfer rule pre NIL was antiquated and arbitrary. I love the grad transfer rule currently. It seems right and fair along with equitable.

Should football be different from other sports? I tend to lean yes. Lets be equitable, but lets not put our heads in the sand. Speaking of college football, it seems like a one time transfer for all kids is at the very least a fair baseline to start with. Maintaining immediate eligibility of course:) With a grad transfer option that is 2 transfers available to every kid. Is it in the players' or schools' best interest to see players move around more than twice in a 4-5 year period? If a kid leaves a school and transfers to a juco that should be outside the transfer rules and not use their one time transfer.

Because NIL is brand new the kinks will get ironed out, I hope. Five years from now if we have freshmen all Americans transferring to comparable schools, it reeks of tampering. I get it now. Its new and everyone is kind of in the dark trying to find their own way. If Bryce Young had been drafted this year and Bama was interested in TVD . . . doesn't sit right with me. I don't like the poaching/tampering.

Mario wants visits before accepting commitments.

Btw I told y’all right when his name popped up the staff loves him, getting him down here on a visit so fast shows you he’s a priority.
Cribby, the question here is...

Does his commitment stop our reruitment
Of the other QBs, or will the goal be to take 2 QBs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with what you said, but wanted to discuss this portion. You couldn't be more correct the old model is dead and will get your *** fired quickly! I don't love the idea of poaching kids off other teams. I also happen to think that the transfer rule pre NIL was antiquated and arbitrary. I love the grad transfer rule currently. It seems right and fair along with equitable.

Should football be different from other sports? I tend to lean yes. Lets be equitable, but lets not put our heads in the sand. Speaking of college football, it seems like a one time transfer for all kids is at the very least a fair baseline to start with. Maintaining immediate eligibility of course:) With a grad transfer option that is 2 transfers available to every kid. Is it in the players' or schools' best interest to see players move around more than twice in a 4-5 year period? If a kid leaves a school and transfers to a juco that should be outside the transfer rules and not use their one time transfer.

Because NIL is brand new the kinks will get ironed out, I hope. Five years from now if we have freshmen all Americans transferring to comparable schools, it reeks of tampering. I get it now. Its new and everyone is kind of in the dark trying to find their own way. If Bryce Young had been drafted this year and Bama was interested in TVD . . . doesn't sit right with me. I don't like the poaching/tampering.
I agree 100% that the fair thing to do with the Transfer rule is give every player a “free” one-time transfer meaning immediate eligibility. There may be some provision for a free 2nd transfer if a head coach leaves, but that is more questionable. More importantly, you are correct that NIL and transfers will get ironed out over the next few years. Some of it will happen when the free market comes to realize that giving a high school QB millions of dollars won’t always result in useful marketing for the company paying the NIL money. A few 5 star flame outs like JT Daniels will hopefully impact the market in a sensible way.

Hoping the NCAA makes sensible amendments to the NIL rule, while still not prohibiting NIL such that courts are constantly involved, maybe more challenging because I don’t believe the NCAA has the necessary talent to walk that line. And I believe the NCAA is too influenced by the conference commissioners who many/may not have the best interests of the sport in mind, as opposed to protecting their own conference.

Tampering is really kind of silly in the sense that once it is a known fact that if players have success on the field/court at school A, they are rewarded with great NIL deals, school A should not have to reach out to a player under scholarship. The players and their agents will likely reach out to school A. That has to be allowed to happen because players have a right to try and maximize the value of their NIL. but this too is a fine line.

You point about unranked or lower ranked players is valid. We should not automatically assume that the recruitment of a lower ranked player means we have found a diamond in the rough, no matter which of our coaches likes the player. And we have been thru that enough at UM to be wary of the hidden gems since outside of Rousseau and hopefully Zion, they haven’t really panned out.
My only point was that if we are still discussing recruiting unheralded players in November, then I am with you with concern. But everything I have read or listended to, or what we all know about Mario, tells me that recruiting will not be the problem area. Mario has always recruited well. His shortcomings have been as a game day coach but hopefully having Gattis and Steele and an amazing staff addresses the game day coaching issues.

Advertisement
It’s very gaytor-esque to root for a 4th star to like a take. That said, I think they’re having a hard time getting a top tier QB. With TBD, Garcia and Jacurri, they probably don’t want to pay the top money for a freshman coming in for a variety of reasons.
I don't know what the reasons may be, but Garcia and Jacurri have accomplished exactly nothing. Stack chips!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back