Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
Holy **** bro, are you serious. Do you think we just started talking about TVD when he committed? People's opinions changed when we became a composited 4 star around the time he committed. He coincided with ESPN severely bumping him up.

Nothing I've said has been wrong.

Read the **** post. I literally said... More hopped on board when he became a 4 star when he committed. You replied...."He was a 4 star the entire time". Holy ****
Everything is in context or Emory Williams. First you tried to compare him to ***** which was a bad comparison as I outlined. Next you said people freaked out when he committed and the very thread you referenced had only 1 negative comment. Then another poster showed a bigger thread that had tons of love for him. In terms of your latest point. TVD committed early in the process, right around this time last year. He was 4 star the entire cycle and no, people weren’t really talking TVD much earlier as we just finished the 2019 cycle. When Emory came on our radar he was and still is a much lower ranked player.

Bottom line is that none of your comparisons hit, they just didn’t.

Everything is in context or Emory Williams. First you tried to compare him to ***** which was a bad comparison as I outlined. Next you said people freaked out when he committed and the very thread you referenced had only 1 negative comment. Then another poster showed a bigger thread that had tons of love for him. In terms of your latest point. TVD committed early in the process, right around this time last year. He was 4 star the entire cycle and no, people weren’t really talking TVD much earlier as we just finished the 2019 cycle. When Emory came on our radar he was and still is a much lower ranked player.

Bottom line is that none of your comparisons hit, they just didn’t.
Bud, you're taking what I've said and skewing it.

1. I said many on this board **** on TVD, in the sense that people are ****ting on Emory. People did **** on TVD.

2. I said people were hesitant on TVD due to sitkowski, someone literally quoted it right before your latest reply, which is facts. There's a 10 page thread on TVD and half the pages talk about Sitkowski.

3. We were talking TVD before he committed, just like we were talking about Garcia when TVD committed. **** some even said he can be the qb2 behind Garcia once he got here. Other said TVD would be the best QB in the room when he got here.

4. Tyler was a 3 star until April 2019, when he committed. There's post of people astonished a Miami target/commit got a bump. I alluded to his bump, as this board is fascinated with stars, simply a fact.

My main point in this is....this boards ability to evaluate QBs isn't the best outside of a few posters. Many wrote TVD off before he committed and definitely wrote him off once Garcia committed. This is facts. Emory will probably become better known and get bumped to a four star. You will then see some guys feel better about it.

Now please, just move along. This **** does nothing for the thread. All I was trying to say is rating QBs based on highlight tapes is a fickle thing and this board has had some historically bad takes. At the end of the day, it is a board and we should voice our opinions. It makes it fun.

You for some reason, just keep arguing for no reason.

And the funniest part in all this......I'm not even a fan of Emory. I'm just a guy who's been here a decade with less than 100 posts a year. I just come here and read the threads.

Last edited:
Had to go back and make sure I wasn't in Gator Tears with how some of y'all sound. Between all of the star whores, talent evaluators that somehow didn't quite make it to CFL, and all of the opinions masquerading around as "facts", there seems to be an avalanche of Gator-like activity happening here. Be better Cane fans, be better.

I remember the days when almost all of this board said TVD didn't deserve an offer. Fun times.

People pointed to his stats, lack of athleticism in his film, and playing super inferior talent. There were a few that like him, but not many.

Same crowd who **** on berrios when he came out of NC.

One thing I know for sure, if he's not 4/5 stars, the majority of this board will complain. ****, most of this board complained when we were a perennial 6 win team and we weren't pulling in 5 stars with Al Golden.

I'll trust the staff. I prefer some big name like rashada and I'm sure the staff does as well, but it looks like they've gotten comfortable with a QB in case others fall through. You always take a QB in today's age
I have my share of misses but I was all in on Tvd.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have my share of missing but I was all in on Tvd.
Some were and some weren't. Some liked jarren Williams and motocha. Some said the OSU guy was our solution.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about it, just saying QB evals are fickle. Let's see how his senior year goes before we write him off. (And as of right now I am not a huge fan of him, but I'm willing to trust the staff until proven otherwise either by his senior season or when the guy enrolls)

5* QBs from the last few years.

Quinn Ewers 2021- Composite #1 committed to ohio taint played one game and then transferred to Texas.

Caleb Williams 2021 - Instant success in his freshman year after replacing Rattler midway through the season. Followed his coach to USC.

Sam Huard 2021 - Redshirted true freshman season expcted to be third string in 2022 after struggling during spring.

Brock Vandergriff 2021 - Couldn't beat out a walkon and is expected to be third string again this season behind Bennett and Beck.

JJ McCarthy 2021 - played garbage time during freshman season, expected back up in 2022 but is currently hurt.

Kyle McCord 2021 - Won't play much until his third year unless starter and heisman finalist CJ Stroud gets hurt.

Bryce Young 2020 - Composite #1 backed up heisman winner during freshman year. Started and won heisman himself in true sophomore year, instant success.

DJ Uiagalelei 2020 - Has the size and arm of an NFL and showed flashes during true freshman year backing up Trevor Lawrence. Became starter in true sophomore year after Lawrence left for the NFL. Took a step backwards and didn't play like a top QB. After spring game reports are that he's on a short leash and his struggles continue.

Spencer Rattler 2019 - Composite #1 Redshirted freshman year, became starter during sophomore year. Lost starting job during junior year to true freshman Williams. Transferred to the other USC.

Bo Nix 2020 - Starter first three season including true freshman year. Average results transferred to Oregon for senior season.

You be the judge but being a five star does not guarantee success at the college level.

Advertisement

Quinn Ewers 2021- Composite #1 committed to ohio taint played one game and then transferred to Texas.

Caleb Williams 2021 - Instant success in his freshman year after replacing Rattler midway through the season. Followed his coach to USC.

Sam Huard 2021 - Redshirted true freshman season expcted to be third string in 2022 after struggling during spring.

Brock Vandergriff 2021 - Couldn't beat out a walkon and is expected to be third string again this season behind Bennett and Beck.

JJ McCarthy 2021 - played garbage time during freshman season, expected back up in 2022 but is currently hurt.

Kyle McCord 2021 - Won't play much until his third year unless starter and heisman finalist CJ Stroud gets hurt.

Bryce Young 2020 - Composite #1 backed up heisman winner during freshman year. Started and won heisman himself in true sophomore year, instant success.

DJ Uiagalelei 2020 - Has the size and arm of an NFL and showed flashes during true freshman year backing up Trevor Lawrence. Became starter in true sophomore year after Lawrence left for the NFL. Took a step backwards and didn't play like a top QB. After spring game reports are that he's on a short leash and his struggles continue.

Spencer Rattler 2019 - Composite #1 Redshirted freshman year, became starter during sophomore year. Lost starting job during junior year to true freshman Williams. Transferred to the other USC.

Bo Nix 2020 - Starter first three season including true freshman year. Average results transferred to Oregon for senior season.

You be the judge but being a five star does not guarantee success at the college level.
Quick now do every 3* 🙄

Good stuff, except I think Young backed up Jones while Devonta Smith won the Heisman

Lets look at the strong possibility that Moore and Rashada are going elsewhere. There are NO guarantees these two QB's will be stars in college football or can't miss candidates. Also, it looks like they will be getting big wads of cash especially Rashada. With that being said why are several people so down on Emory Williams ? Nobody right now can say with any certainty that he will be a bust or flourish in the college game. He certainly has some qualities coaches like in a QB and if he is very coachable we could have ourselves a real good QB for the future. I'm for one not in favor of getting Rashada and paying massive amounts of money for an unproven QB. There is also the strong possibility by committing to UM Rashada could chase the existing QB room away. I hope Williams commits to UM.

Advertisement
@01Canes Make no mistake, I want Rashada. He is a stud talent. But it’s not my money, and I can see how some feel the investment would be risky.

The good news is that Rashada hasn’t gotten the deal yet and collectives are crashing. The smart play for him is to go to the best football situation for good money, become a star and then make the real NIL money.

Advertisement
Terrible take.

Congrats on family they must take after mom 😉.

****-will-smith.gif

Yes. But he was on a very talented team with a great OC and got benched by a freshman and transferred. Not a lot of takers for him either and ended up at South Carolina.

To be fair if your worst evaluation is still a P5 QB....who was beat out by another 5 star

And I'm not a huge Rattler fan

@01Canes Make no mistake, I want Rashada. He is a stud talent. But it’s not my money, and I can see how some feel the investment would be risky.

The good news is that Rashada hasn’t gotten the deal yet and collectives are crashing. The smart play for him is to go to the best football situation for good money, become a star and then make the real NIL money.

That's completely fair. I view it to be risky not to invest in a premier talent at QB in favor of a far lower-tier, more cost-effective alternative that could theoretically bolster the available funds in other recruitments. But it's not my money either and I think there's validity to both viewpoints.

I think a lot of posters are looking at 2023 QB recruiting in a vacuum whereas I'm coming at it from a different perspective. The insiders would know a heck of a lot more than I could venture to assume in this regard, but I'd imagine landing a Rashada-level QB would help immensely with the rest of the class. Especially at WR (a glaring current weakness) with a local class that many have pointed to for years as being loaded with elite difference makers. Ballers want to play with ballers. Not to mention that Mario's looking to restore legitimate Miami-level competition across the board at Greentree and another blue-chip arm could only help, not hinder, the team in '23 and beyond.

By the time our 2023 QB commit(s) arrive on campus, we'll likely have 3 scholarship signal-callers on the roster assuming TVD goes pro (Garcia, Brown, and possibly Emory Williams based on recent developments). Garcia played in one game last year and suffered an injury that sidelined him for over a month. TVD had long cemented his QB1 status by the time Garcia recovered, of course, but your position group is not as strong as many here seem to think it is if you're one injury away from relying entirely on the development of just one other gifted but raw prospect (Brown) in 2023.

I've seen some mention looking to the portal in the future as a superior option. But we saw that the NIL market for a pair of 5* QBs in Caleb Williams (started for half a season) and Quinn Ewers (didn't see the field as a freshman at OSU) was easily at the seven-figure level. Likely comparable to the current market for Rashada. I'd imagine no one wants us to be stuck looking at lower-tier options comparable to the likes of Bo Nix or Anthony Brown in the future because we were too conservative in the QB market.

Last edited:
Some of These High profile QBs in the 2023 class are not going to want to come here and possibly sit for 2 years which they might have to do here. I know Jake is doing that now but that’s sort of rarity in todays world of QB. Still recruit Rashada and Moore and don’t settle for Williams but it’s in the back of these coaches/ boosters mind that are we willing to break the bank for a kid who could transfer in a year. We not playing with unlimited money so they are going to want to spend it wisely.

Advertisement
Back