Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
Miami offered 2023 QB Emory Williams yesterday per 247

ok, so i had heard this offer was very likely a couple of days ago.

had a chance to speak with someone who i trust who has some knowledge of this kid. he and i got on zoom and broke down some tape of him from last year, because he wanted my take.

after about 20-25 minutes, my opinion was pretty well formed:

TAKE THIS KID. If he wants to come, and the in-person evals confirm what's on the tape, ... (always an open question) .... then I could care less if rashada or moore are in this class. i think this kid has that kind of ceiling.

always welcome to hear @Lance Roffers weigh in with me on the QB's. (and of course, @Liberty City El or @Stevo365 if they have any insight).

Last edited:
He has gotten a bunch of offers yesterday, Pitt, Indiana, USF, Tulane, Memphis, Toledo in addition to ours. he won't be unrated for long. Looks like a good player, makes a lot of different throws with nice accuracy, looks at multiple targets, good height. I wonder why his production is relatively low for the skillset he offers, maybe they are a very run heavy team?

ok, so i had heard this offer was very likely a couple of days ago. just

had a chance to speak with someone who i trust who has some knowledge of this kid. he and i got on zoom and broke down some tape of him from last year, because he wanted my take.

after about 20-25 minutes, my opinion was pretty well formed:

TAKE THIS KID. If he wants to come, and the in-person evals confirm what's on the tape, ... (always an open question) .... then I could care less if rashada or moore are in this class. i think this kid has that kind of ceiling.

always welcome to hear @Lance Roffers weigh in with me on the QB's. (and of course, @Liberty City El if he has any insight).

I know these are highlights but you can tell this dude can sling. Early in the highlight, with the camera view behind, on the curl route ball comes off so smooth from his hands.

First reaction was whaaat the ......
Then I actually watched the tape. This kid is good.

I also like the fact that they have been looking at quite a few 3 or low 4 star type guys (who are now committing to good schools) and did not jump in with an offer. But they took their time here, evaluated and did. It wasn't some late, desperate move and its a solid plan if the price for the bid dogs get too far out of hand. We see what paying top dollar for an incoming player can do to quality guys on a current roster with the Wong situation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This kid is from Milton Florida which is the north end of Santa Rosa county. I live in the south end and have never heard of him. I can tell you 2 things. One, the competition is definitely suspect and two, Milton has traditionally been a run heavy 3 yards and a cloud of dust type program. They do have a very good running back that I coached against in little league. A lot of those highlights are against their rival, Pace, who hasn't been good in a while. That's all I got.

Good to see Mario is on to offering unranked QB's after whiffing on the suds.

C20333DE-A61E-4D13-8DD5-B64588B5C813.gif

Kid's got good size and nice accuracy and touch. You can see him completing passes to receivers who are fairly well covered so that speaks to his accuracy and confidence. Most high school kids only throw to wide open guys. Doesn't look to have the strongest arm. Competition is suspect. I have family in Milton. It's in the panhandle and pretty rural.

Definitely some upside but he's not on the level of any of the scholarship QBs we currently have on the roster.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami offered 2023 QB Emory Williams yesterday per 247

This young fella can spin it and his ball placement is on point. He climbs the pocket with his head up while looking down field. Also, he’s not afraid to take a lick in order to get the ball to his guy. New coaching staff. I think this young man can play at a high level at Miami. He’s surrounded by coaches that are developers of talent. IMO

Kyle Trask type QB#2 take, even if we get the top targets. Sometimes you really like a kid's game and he's a take.
With the transfer rule and NIL $$, the strategy moving forward is going to change. Even if we or any team lands a top QB (quite frankly any player), there's no guarantee that player will stick around waiting for playing time.

Young men with big upsides that need development will bridge the gap. These are the guys that wait 3 years to get on the field and then ball out.

It's the perfect situation for both parties. Let's say we sign Williams. Being from Florida, he likely sticks thru graduation. If he redshirts and handles himself in the classroom, he could graduate in 3 years. If he doesn't wind up the starter, he could transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining and a UM degree in his back pocket.

Not saying they have the same ability, but Matocha is an example of adding depth where he will have 2 years to play elsewhere when he graduates.

Last edited:
With the QB room as stacked as it is you can afford to take a project QB this year. Seems like Rashada is completely bag/best NIL deal chasing. Not really concerned about the other factors regarding the school he chooses. Might be why they’re setting up backup plans
If Rashada is bag chasing, there's no reason to think that any of the 2024 targets will not be doing the same thing.

Perhaps it comes down to when you want to invest the money. Perhaps 2024 is more preferable.

Advertisement
Back