Early Commitments

cowboycane

All-ACC
Anyone else find this streak we are on at least a little funny? Kids who have committed to us during their junior year include the following: Patrick Peterson, Bruce Brown, Todd Chandler, Louis Nix, Kermit Whitfield, Alex Collins, Duke, Willie Bailey, Keith Brown, Jayron Kearse, Keith Bryant...I mean, that list would be really funny if it weren't so sad. I'm not conceding Bryant or Collins yet, but it's worth asking...how scared are you as a coach to take an early commitment here at this point?

Advertisement
They're kids they change their mind like socks.. I only care about who signs, not who doesn't.. Early commitments are heavy leans and that's it don't look to much into it and you won't feel burned.. My only feelings on Alex Collins if he signs god bless him, if he doesn't good luck and that goes for the rest of em..

:neonu:Just think its gonna be something we have to deal with, until we began dominating on the field again (year in/year out)!! We are currently running on "potential", promise, and the past! I love the U, but we are gonna drop a few heart breakers every year, until we become that "place to be" again!! And we will... Until then, I hope AG keeps upgrading the U brand with good recruiting and Wins on the field!

Pretty sure our first commit of the year has ended up elsewhere going back to 2007. Harland Gunn was our first commit in 2007.

2008: Patrick Johnson/Peterson (LSU)
2009: Bryce Brown (Tenn)
2010: Louis Nix (ND)
2011: Marcus Jackson (Tenn)
2012: Keith Brown (Louisville)
2013: Whitfield (FSU)

Streak does not bode well but hopefully Darling ends it in the 2014 class.

Advertisement
Commitments are made to the staff. Recruiting sight records are for phag pedophile stalkers.. ;-p

Harland Gunn
Micanor Regis
Duke Johnson

Those are the only 3 I recall that committed early and kept their word. I may be missing some others.

This is why I have been saying for years that it is POINTLESS to obsess over Sophmores and Juniors at this point. Guys get all spun up every year about early committments, but they dont mean sh*t. Once recruiting heats up for these kids, all bets are off, and those commitments dont mean anything. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Advertisement
Randy Boxill, anyone?

yeah, there's was another OL/DL around that time that was a mystery verbal and everyone had the "WTF" kind of recation.

Also, who was the lightly recruited CB from pahokee IIRC, several years back that was an early commit but never signed.

Advertisement
Harland Gunn
Micanor Regis
Duke Johnson

Those are the only 3 I recall that committed early and kept their word. I may be missing some others.

Kevin Olsen committed pretty early.

The way Kevin Olsen handled his commitment speaks very high on his character.

He personally called the Wisconsin and Auburn staff members to thank them for recruiting him. He than let them know it would be a complete waste of time to continue recruiting him (In the most polite way)

Give me some Baby Jesus ASAP

Advertisement
Harland Gunn
Micanor Regis
Duke Johnson

Kevin Olsen committed pretty early.

The way Kevin Olsen handled his commitment speaks very high on his character.

He personally called the Wisconsin and Auburn staff members to thank them for recruiting him. He than let them know it would be a complete waste of time to continue recruiting him (In the most polite way)

Give me some Baby Jesus ASAP

That also speaks to his maturity, which is BIG for that kind of leadership position.

Advertisement
Back