Manny & the Recruiting Process (formerly Earl Little Jr 1.0)

Sure, okay. For anyone who thinks it’s inconceivable that Manny is less engaged in recruiting than top head coaches like Saban, you still have the unavoidable fact here that you can’t change. Maybe he learned and changed. Maybe he’s only focused when he’s desperate. Maybe he likes the quick return of portal more than the long term relationship building grind of high school recruiting. Who knows. What we have confirmation of is that Manny was recently, as DC, hands off on a top top local kid at a critical position that we all blame Rumph for not filling. Maybe Rumph got no help from his DC?

“Uninformed fans trying to sound smart claiming...”

Advertisement
Sure, okay. For anyone who thinks it’s inconceivable that Manny is less engaged in recruiting than top head coaches like Saban, you still have the unavoidable fact here that you can’t change. Maybe he learned and changed. Maybe he’s only focused when he’s desperate. Maybe he likes the quick return of portal more than the long term relationship building grind of high school recruiting. Who knows. What we have confirmation of is that Manny was recently, as DC, hands off on a top top local kid at a critical position that we all blame Rumph for not filling. Maybe Rumph got no help from his DC?

I just thought I would finish that quote for you because that part was equally as important.

I remember when he was DC we didn’t hear mannys name come up in a lot of recruiting battles, I thought it definitely was one of his flaws when he became HC here. I don’t think manny is Nick saban, and will never be Nick saban. I definitely think as HC he has made improvements to becoming a lot better at recruiting and he will continue to get better at that, just like he will improve as a HC the more he is one. He definitely has a bit to go as far as recruiting but he was involved with some key players in this years class and helped reel them in.

We all blamed Rumph for a lot of his flaws, but we saw rumph under 2 different HC’s fail at recruiting battles. Even if he didn’t get to choose his own players and recruits he needs to take responsibility because the ones he was supposed to recruit and reel in he didn’t.

The ironic part of all this is people are making judgements based off hearsay. We're taking Earl Sr. at his word about Manny as if it were verified fact. Is it not possible that he wants his son to go to Bama and he's trying to soften the blow by blaming a guy already under scrutiny?

Now I'm not saying that he's lying, it could very well be true, but does this play into your confirmation bias if you already dislike Manny?

Let's see how this plays out.

The ironic part of all this is people are making judgements based off hearsay. We're taking Earl Sr. at his word about Manny as if it were verified fact. Is it not possible that he wants his son to go to Bama and he's trying to soften the blow by blaming a guy already under scrutiny?

Now I'm not saying that he's lying, it could very well be true, but does this play into your confirmation bias if you already dislike Manny?

I might be wrong here, but both of these things can be true: Earl Little telling the truth about Manny and he wants his son to go to Bama.

Advertisement
I just thought I would finish that quote for you because that part was equally as important.

I remember when he was DC we didn’t hear mannys name come up in a lot of recruiting battles, I thought it definitely was one of his flaws when he became HC here. I don’t think manny is Nick saban, and will never be Nick saban. I definitely think as HC he has made improvements to becoming a lot better at recruiting and he will continue to get better at that, just like he will improve as a HC the more he is one. He definitely has a bit to go as far as recruiting but he was involved with some key players in this years class and helped reel them in.

We all blamed Rumph for a lot of his flaws, but we saw rumph under 2 different HC’s fail at recruiting battles. Even if he didn’t get to choose his own players and recruits he needs to take responsibility because the ones he was supposed to recruit and reel in he didn’t.
Maybe. We here a lot of reflexive defensiveness of Manny (can see it in this thread). I'm pointing out an objective fact from the horse's mouth pointing out that Manny as a recruiter wasn't hands on.

My concern, however, consistently expressed around here, is that he doesn't get recruiting as a process matter. I had hoped he did, but see no evidence he does. I don't doubt he's a bit more engaged as a reactive matter. But he's the head coach. He has to set the tone, the culture ... and the processes for the program. Being on the phone a bit more isn't the step-up I'm looking for. I want to see that he's gotten a recruiting approach and process built that improves decisionmaking in all areas: target identification, funnel building, triage, prioritization, communications, evaluations and selling. Because make no mistake, that's what good looks like in CFB. Saban may call kids more often, but it's what's behind and around Saban that makes their recruiting so effective. And it's not ten former NFL head coaches like his QC has. Aspects of recruiting can be supported by staff and data analytics as much as anything. I can't tell you definitively Manny hasn't done that but I don't see a reason to believe he has.

Why would anyone believe Manny is calling Little as much as Saban?

We got Stevenson in an article on this site saying Manny didn't engage much in recruiting him two years back.

Manny likes hype. Quick wins. Splashes. Stevenson says Manny recruited him better when he hit the portal. I believe it. Maybe manny just likes the portal, but portal kids are scratch-off lotto tickets ... quick feedback, no requirement of sustained effort. You're not building a relationship with them so much as selling them. Saban's been building a relationship with Little. That's the point being made by his dad. It's also a point quietly being made by program insiders around here who recognize how hard it will be to overcome that relationship for UM in recruiting Little.

Advertisement

We got Stevenson in an article on this site saying Manny didn't engage much in recruiting him two years back.

Manny likes hype. Quick wins. Splashes. Stevenson says Manny recruited him better when he hit the portal. I believe it. Maybe manny just likes the portal, but portal kids are scratch-off lotto tickets ... quick feedback, no requirement of sustained effort. You're not building a relationship with them so much as selling them. Saban's been building a relationship with Little. That's the point being made by his dad. It's also a point quietly being made by program insiders around here who recognize how hard it will be to overcome that relationship for UM in recruiting Little.
Why would anyone believe he wouldn't? We just don't know, it's all a guess unless you're Manny or Earl. They're the only two who know exactly what's going on.

Manny may not be any better with the portal guys, or maybe he is. I don't know. Perhaps Stevenson was just more receptive to Manny's recruiting efforts the second time around when he was looking to return to South Florida.

Why would anyone believe he wouldn't? We just don't know, it's all a guess unless you're Manny or Earl. They're the only two who know exactly what's going on.

That post has more conspiracy theories than the JFK investigation.

Advertisement

It could be equally possible that Manny doesn't waste his time chasing a kid that is clearly on the take. Maybe he saw Stevenson as a no doubt bag scenario, knew he was ****ing in the wind and wasn't going to waste his time.

Now once in the portal, he is a known commodity and not beholden to the bag (especially with NIL coming into play) so Manny makes an effort since there's a legit chance to land the signature.

It isn't fair to compare how bag school coaches approach recruiting. Saban, Jimbo, Day, Dabo etc all walk into these kids homes knowing they can match any offer if they really want the kid. Manny aint in that game to that level so if his approach doesn't mirror those others it isn't necessarily an indictment on his recruiting.

It could be equally possible that Manny doesn't waste his time chasing a kid that is clearly on the take. Maybe he saw Stevenson as a no doubt bag scenario, knew he was ****ing in the wind and wasn't going to waste his time.

Now once in the portal, he is a known commodity and not beholden to the bag (especially with NIL coming into play) so Manny makes an effort since there's a legit chance to land the signature.

It isn't fair to compare how bag school coaches approach recruiting. Saban, Jimbo, Day, Dabo etc all walk into these kids homes knowing they can match any offer if they really want the kid. Manny aint in that game to that level so if his approach doesn't mirror those others it isn't necessarily an indictment on his recruiting.

This is a well thought out, smart post.

Well done.

Senior just doesn’t want to become the new Choad Wilson.

Advertisement

Sounds like a big sour grapes excuse to me. How’s he going to recruit at all if he doesn’t want to talk to kids who might take a bag? And how’s he going to convince them not to if he’s trying less hard than the other coaches. If he wants to be a prude, get a different job. If he wants to compete with bag schools, he should out-work them, not mail it in.

Well, you have actual evidence that says he’s not (dad’s comments). And you have zero evidence that says he is. You can construct a theory to discredit dad, and imagine he’s doing everything saban is, but i’m not sure why you’d believe that.

Manny may not be any better with the portal guys, or maybe he is. I don't know. Perhaps Stevenson was just more receptive to Manny's recruiting efforts the second time around when he was looking to return to South Florida.
So now Stevenson it a liar too? Cause he himself said Manny was checked out on his recruitment last time around. To the slurpeds around here, all facts are interpreted to support Manny. Y’all don’t even care about the program it seems. Just the coach.

Well, you have actual evidence that says he’s not (dad’s comments). And you have zero evidence that says he is. You can construct a theory to discredit dad, and imagine he’s doing everything saban is, but i’m not sure why you’d believe that.
Yes, you have hearsay evidence from a party with a vested interest. I Let's say Sr. is being less than truthful. Manny still want Jr. to come here, he's not going to put out a press release with phone records to show Sr. is not correct.

Possibilities, we have plenty, certainties, none.

Advertisement
Back