DT Quentez Johnson caught off guard by Miami offer

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami fans have lamented over the defensive tackle position over the past few recruiting cycles, but after a solid haul in 2014, things seems to be looking up. Interior line talent does not look to be a strength in South Florida this year, so Miami will be looking out of area for the 2015 cycle.

Last week, Jethro Franklin offered Quentez Johnson (6-3, 310) from Cedar Grove High School in Georgia.

“The defensive line coach followed me on Twitter and coaches follow me everyday so I didn’t think anything of it, but then he DM’d me and said they wanted me to be a Hurricane and I was like ‘whoa’. Then the Head Coach Al Golden came right in behind him,” said Johnson.

Two days after the Miami offer, Johnson tweeted, “So far this #Miami offer was my happiest one lol like bro its Miami.” The Georgia product explained what he meant by the message.

“It’s just that it's Miami. I don’t know, it’s just the Hurricanes. It was a big offer to me and it came out of nowhere. I’ve been getting offers, but not prestigious ones with history like Miami.”

How would Johnson describe himself as a player?

“I have good hands, which is what coaches love about me and I just do what I’m told and make plays. I’m great stopping the run, but I’d say I have better pass rushing ability than most defensive tackles.”

The recruiting process has picked up quicker than he had expected.

“I knew it was going to come sooner or later, but not this soon. I was thinking sometime in the spring, but not during winter break.”

Johnson mentions Alabama, Clemson, and South Carolina as other schools he has high interest in, but says that he is willing to move away from the South.

“It’s just going to be about who wants me the most. Distance won’t be a factor for me and I want to meet new people anyways.”

The versatile defensive tackle says he won’t be hung up on scheme when choosing a school.

“I’m a smart player so I can adjust. It really doesn’t matter.”

Johnson added that he will “of course” be seriously considering Miami and he is planning to visit over the summer. He also cited “academics, playing time, and loyalty of coaches” as factors that will play a part in his decision.

Advertisement
Good stuff Pete! I like how the staff Is going out of state for some DT prospects, its a down year in south Florida and the state as a whole for them...do u see anybody locally in Florida the staff is really after???

Interesting the comment about scheme. Wonder if that was in response to what our guys discussed with him as a defensive thing or is the word out there.

Advertisement
[video]http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1509815/highlights/72183375[/video]

Kid is tough. He has Miss St, NC St. and Michigan St. offers.

The state of Georgia seems to put out some good DT prospects every year. I would love to land this kid and one more.

Advertisement
“It’s just going to be about who wants me the most.”

I'm curious how kids are able to determine this, I mean, can we just tell him "Hey, nobody wants you more than we do!" or what else exactly(besides cash) do we have to do to convince some of these guys to sign up here???

Advertisement
Offer every decent recruit in the country at DT

Bingo! Offer every decent DT recruit from Miami to Hawaii to Alaska. Anywhere in the civilized or uncivilized world. Treat our DT position like NCAA staffs go after big men from the bush in Africa...........I DON'T CARE WHERE HE COMES FROM! Get some DTs who hungry and angry and ready to show it!

I'm curious how kids are able to determine this, I mean, can we just tell him "Hey, nobody wants you more than we do!" or what else exactly(besides cash) do we have to do to convince some of these guys to sign up here???

Talk to him more than every other school

Talk to him more than every other school

But... but then you become annoying and show too much attention or maybe that only applies to SoFla kids.

Advertisement
I must admit that I love the way our coaches stay proactive through social media outlets.

We follow defensive lineman on Twitter like this...

323.gif

Advertisement
Back