2020 Draft Thread

MLB.com has expanded to a Top 200 with Toral ranked 186. With comp picks there are 160 picks in the draft. Factoring in high school players with signability issues or any college players with special circumstances that might roll the dice on next year’s draft (Freddy?), that leaves Toral on the cusp of getting selected.

They have Slade going 24th to the Rays and McMahon slipping out of the first round in their mock
This is mind boggling to me. The kid (at the moment) does not have it.

Advertisement
Slade is all about potential and a great arm. He does not know hot to "pitch" like a BVB. But the MLB guys know you can teach a kid to pitch, but you can't take a kid that throws 89 and make him throw 96. I hope Slade returns but it looks unlikely.

Last edited:
Slade is all about potential and a great arm. He does not know hot to "pitch" live a BVB. But the MLB guys know you can teach a kid to pitch, but you can't take a kid that throws 89 and make him throw 96. I hope Slade returns but it looks unlikely.
I just don't get how scouts see him as a first rounder now when his numbers haven't been good. If we lose him and McMahon and a couple recruits then that's probably the best outcome for us. Some bench guys have already hit the portal so I'm sure the incoming guys will take their spots. Hopefully Paige leaves soon.

I just don't get how scouts see him as a first rounder now when his numbers haven't been good. If we lose him and McMahon and a couple recruits then that's probably the best outcome for us. Some bench guys have already hit the portal so I'm sure the incoming guys will take their spots. Hopefully Paige leaves soon.

Physical potential is why he will go early. He has not been great here (like a 4+ ERA) but like I said they can work on that aspect of his game, they fall in love with big hard throwing kids. If he gets a Rd 1-2 grade I'm assuming he is gone.

This Covid crap really hurt the best rotation we have had in years, and we could have to replace all 3

Advertisement
Physical potential is why he will go early. He has not been great here (like a 4+ ERA) but like I said they can work on that aspect of his game, they fall in love with big hard throwing kids. If he gets a Rd 1-2 grade I'm assuming he is gone.

This Covid crap really hurt the best rotation we have had in years, and we could have to replace all 3
Yea I was really excited to see what this team would do this year. I know after the Florida sweep people weren't happy but I felt they'd get better as the season went on. We will see what happens come draft time.

No kidding. Even with our offensive struggles at times, our rotation alone could have taken us to a super at least, and 3 solid starters usually bodes well in Omaha also.

No kidding. Even with our offensive struggles at times, our rotation alone could have taken us to a super at least, and 3 solid starters usually bodes well in Omaha also.

we just can't catch a break. without more scholarships for baseball, and without some changes to the draft process, we are just running in sand

ESPN has Cecconi going 19th to the Mets and McMahon going 37th to the Rays in their latest mock draft

MLB.com’s newest mock has Slade up to the 22nd pick with Washington. I’m honestly curious as to whether he’s rising more without a season than he would have risen with one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
ESPN has Cecconi going 19th to the Mets and McMahon going 37th to the Rays in their latest mock draft

MLB.com’s newest mock has Slade up to the 22nd pick with Washington. I’m honestly curious as to whether he’s rising more without a season than he would have risen with one.

Obviously, they think he has a high ceiling. And he is a big kid with a big lower half, which I suspect a lot of scouts look for in pitchers. Best of luck to him - sorry we didn't get to see more of what he could have done in meaningful post-season games.

Slade was nearly killed when he took a line drive to the face against Towson. They had him pretty hard that day as I recall. I don't get it either but there must be big potential in the eyes of scouts. He's an imposing dude who flashes nasty stuff but to see him get tagged again and again in 2020 makes this weird.

Advertisement
Before Slade pitched his first ever game with Miami, I told my brother he would go first round. Turns out I might be right.

ESPN will televise the draft in its entirety with the first round on ESPN and rounds 2-5 on ESPN2.

MLB.com has McMahon going 25th to Atlanta and Cecconi dropping to the Dodgers at 29th

ESPN has Slade going 24th to Tampa and McMahon dropping past the Comp Round.

The Athletic has both dropping out of the first round.

Advertisement
Slade is a first round pick. He has a change up and fastball you can't teach.
He is but given his leverage he should be demanding big money to sign. He has 2 years of eligibility left and he could come back and perform and be a top 5-10 pick in 21. I’d be demanding a big contract to sign this year. Hope he gets it.

Slade is going to be one featured players on draft night. So he’s either gone or in for some very awkward camera shots at the end of the night.

Advertisement
Back