2020 Draft Thread

The lack of any defensive skills will hurt Toral. Agree on the Cape Cod comment.
If he was a CF or SS you would almost have a point , but MLB teams will throw almost anyone at 1B if they can mash. He fielded like .990, he is not terrible like Gil. He will be drafted to hit the ball hard, not for defense.

Advertisement
The Latest:

The amount of deferral is really insane. Assuming the deferrals don’t carry over to next years draft, I wonder if a kid like Slade with another leverage year and functionally a full scholarship might not decide to wait for an upfront bonus next year.

If the NCAA doesn’t grant everyone an additional year, that undrafted cap of 10K would be awful for kids like Rivera, Jenkins, and Federman who would have gotten 50K-125K in the 10-25 round range in a normal year.

Yeah if that happens, assuming my understanding is right, why would Slade sign given those deferments? Next year is a weaker draft for pitchers, he'll still have leverage, and with a full season almost certainly be a 1st round pick, and then he'll be able to collect an upfront bonus.

I think it's pretty unlikely teams will even sign undrafted FA. Sounds like that bonus limit is basically an unwritten rule from Manfred for teams to only take 10 guys and not game the system

The Latest:

The amount of deferral is really insane. Assuming the deferrals don’t carry over to next years draft, I wonder if a kid like Slade with another leverage year and functionally a full scholarship might not decide to wait for an upfront bonus next year.

If the NCAA doesn’t grant everyone an additional year, that undrafted cap of 10K would be awful for kids like Rivera, Jenkins, and Federman who would have gotten 50K-125K in the 10-25 round range in a normal year.

I thought it had been decided they would be granted another year?

Advertisement
Players give MLB the right to shorten to 5 rounds in ’20 and 20 rounds in ’21.

Hard to imagine it goes back beyond 20 rounds when the new CBA is negotiated for 2022, and even harder to believe the short season minors survive the next two years (which MLB wanted anyway...).

Players give MLB the right to shorten to 5 rounds in ’20 and 20 rounds in ’21.

Hard to imagine it goes back beyond 20 rounds when the new CBA is negotiated for 2022, and even harder to believe the short season minors survive the next two years (which MLB wanted anyway...).

Got to be good news for us in regards of people like Toral, Zamora, and Slade. McMahon is gone for sure.

We are going to have a lot of our recruits come here with a lot of seniors on our team. We should be loaded next year.

Advertisement
Curious to see how many higher end recruits that don’t go in the top five rounds decide to go JUCO to get back in next year, especially if teams put a premium on college players this year.

Sounds like a chaotic Wild West scenario for college coaches if the draft is later in July.

So we have 19 high school recruits and 6 are ranked in the top 100. How many do you all think will actually make it to campus?

So we have 19 high school recruits and 6 are ranked in the top 100. How many do you all think will actually make it to campus?

Probably 2 of the top 6, maybe 3. Rosario, Mederos, and Morales are all top-2 round picks. Sammy Infante isn't far behind them either, though I believe he'll be eligible again as a Soph so going to school and coming out in a normal draft year might be a pretty good decision for him. Carlos Rodriguez is the other one we could potentially lose, though probably not if the draft is just 5 rounds.

From what I can tell the best recruits who are very likely to make it here are Carlos Perez, Chad Born, CJ Kayfus, Jamar Fairweather, Giuseppe Ferraro, and Jose Izarra. We also have two pretty good Juco recruits in Adam Frank and Michael Rosario who we won't lose to the draft, but who knows what will happen there if there's a crunch for roster spots.

Advertisement
Probably 2 of the top 6, maybe 3. Rosario, Mederos, and Morales are all top-2 round picks. Sammy Infante isn't far behind them either, though I believe he'll be eligible again as a Soph so going to school and coming out in a normal draft year might be a pretty good decision for him. Carlos Rodriguez is the other one we could potentially lose, though probably not if the draft is just 5 rounds.

From what I can tell the best recruits who are very likely to make it here are Carlos Perez, Chad Born, CJ Kayfus, Jamar Fairweather, Giuseppe Ferraro, and Jose Izarra. We also have two pretty good Juco recruits in Adam Frank and Michael Rosario who we won't lose to the draft, but who knows what will happen there if there's a crunch for roster spots.
Well I know is that Tyler Paige needs to go. Should be one of the first guys to say it would be best for you to transfer.

Will the players and incoming recruits. Parents have the money to send them to UM after the economic collapse?

Advertisement
Given that Div I, II and JUCO's have already granted an extra year of eligibility, hard to believe DI won't follow suit (especially w a watered-down draft). I suspect they grant it, expand rosters and provide some financial relief and allow schools to decide if and how to use it in 2021 only.

I feel bad for draft eligible Jr.'s outside of 5th round talent. It seems to me they can either go pro now for pocket change, or stay another year and also have no negotiating leverage having run out of eligibility. Am I missing something?

Given that Div I, II and JUCO's have already granted an extra year of eligibility, hard to believe DI won't follow suit (especially w a watered-down draft). I suspect they grant it, expand rosters and provide some financial relief and allow schools to decide if and how to use it in 2021 only.

If they grant another year of eligibility, that creates a whole other set of roster issues. Lots of players will be forced out. College baseball teams don't need 40 man rosters.

@BP Joe ask and you shall receive. MLB.com heard you and put out a new Top 150
29 McMahon (+10 from December)
31 Cecconi (+5)
72 Rosario (-7)
100 Mederos (-41)
101 Zamora (-53)
132 Morales
150 Infante (NR)

I have become more convinced that Slade is about as gone as McMahon

Some excerpts
On Slade: He’s convinced many he can maintain his stuff to start, but there is the chance he ends up in a bullpen one day, where that fastball-slider combination would play up.

On Freddy: He can play with a low motor at times, but with his overall skill set, and he’ll now have to answer questions about his makeup (re: the 6 game suspension), but he has the tools to be a top three-round talent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back