2020 Draft Thread

With all the talent coming in, anything is possible. That said, hosting a regional is probably a realistic goal as the SEC looks even more loaded than normal and will probably constitute half of the national seeds.

Jake Smith is the key in my mind. If he can anchor the rotation and win 4 of every 5 starts, the talented freshmen/sophomore pitchers should be fine by tournament time.

Advertisement
McMahon signed for slightly above slot, and Zamora signed for roughly $250K below slot. Don’t see anything on Cecconi yet.

Infante signed for $1 million. By my count just over 2/3 of picks have now signed, including 25 of the 37 Day 1 picks. Jarvis signed with the Diamondbacks for well below slot, so I imagine Slade’s delay is negotiating for some of that above slot money.

Last edited:
Infante signed for $1 million. By my count just over 2/3 of picks have now signed, including 25 of the 37 Day 1 picks. Jarvis signed with the Diamondbacks for well below slot, so I imagine Slade’s delay is negotiating for some of that above slot money.

Here's to wishful thinking that he and the D'Backs are still far apart, although I am sure it is just that since the D'backs have lots of money available as you point out from the Jarvis below slot signing. Who knows, maybe they want to give it all to the unsigned HS kid.

Here's to wishful thinking that he and the D'Backs are still far apart, although I am sure it is just that since the D'backs have lots of money available as you point out from the Jarvis below slot signing. Who knows, maybe they want to give it all to the unsigned HS kid.
Turns out the unsigned HS kid did take most of the above slot money. They’ve got about $180K above slot left for Slade (he’s their only remaining unsigned pick) which is equivalent to 30th overall pick money. Should be a pretty quick deal now unless they decide to penny pinch with him.

Advertisement
Turns out the unsigned HS kid did take most of the above slot money. They’ve got about $180K above slot left for Slade (he’s their only remaining unsigned pick) which is equivalent to 30th overall pick money. Should be a pretty quick deal now unless they decide to penny pinch with him.

Could be a medical issue causing the delay. Last year the Dbacks cut their offer to one of their top picks (Drey Jamison) and ended up signing him way underslot because of something they didn't like in his physical.

Cecconi has a ton of leverage and would almost certainly be selected higher next year, when the college pitching class is much weaker, though so I'm not sure how much ability the Dbacks would have to re-negotiate if it actually is something medical anyways

Could be a medical issue causing the delay. Last year the Dbacks cut their offer to one of their top picks (Drey Jamison) and ended up signing him way underslot because of something they didn't like in his physical.

Cecconi has a ton of leverage and would almost certainly be selected higher next year, when the college pitching class is much weaker, though so I'm not sure how much ability the Dbacks would have to re-negotiate if it actually is something medical anyways
Could be. Seems to be a flurry of agreements today. BA hasn’t updated their database in at least a week, but based on deal reports it appears Slade is the highest remaining pick without an agreement.

Could be. Seems to be a flurry of agreements today. BA hasn’t updated their database in at least a week, but based on deal reports it appears Slade is the highest remaining pick without an agreement.
He could always come back with 2 years of eligibility left and shoot for the top 10...

Unlikely, but always possible when it has taken this long to agree to terms. Something seems to be up between the two parties. Slade has a ton of leverage.

He could always come back with 2 years of eligibility left and shoot for the top 10...

Unlikely, but always possible when it has taken this long to agree to terms. Something seems to be up between the two parties. Slade has a ton of leverage.

If my math is right, they have ~ $200k left in their pool money ($350k more if they choose to go 5% over and pay the penalty). So, maybe Slade was expecting close to $3MM or there is a health related issue as TRS mentioned.

His stuff does project to first round money, and 5 college pitchers went in the first 11 picks this year for $4.5MM - $6.7MM.

Advertisement
Seems like other draft-eligible soph pitchers really cashed in so it'll be interesting to see what happens. JT Ginn went for $2.9 million despite TJS. Cole Wilcox got $3.3 million. Tanner Burns is rumored to want around $3 million. I'd hope Slade is able to get somewhere in that range.

He'd likely be the #3 or 4 college pitching prospect if he returns. Obviously, it'd be very surprising if that happened, but hopefully at least it's some serious leverage to get him paid

Advertisement
After seeing Slade get rocked in the face by a line drive against Towson, I'm very happy for him. That's great news. Scary sight that day.

Advertisement
Back