scane

Redshirt Freshman
MLB Draft
June 10 Round 1 - Comp A 7pm ESPN, MLBN
June 11 Rounds 2-5 5pm ESPN2, MLBN

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cliff notes version of an article in The Athletic tonight:
-Teams have asked players for permission to cancel or modify the draft.
-Cancellation is unlikely due to possible effect on next year’s free agency of a draft “super class” and desire to get the national spotlight after the NFL draft.
-Players are likely to be agreeable to a modification. A possible two to three round draft was suggested.

A two or three round draft would likely see at worst McMahon, Toral, Cecconi, and Zamora leave. I wouldn’t be stunned to see Cecconi and Zamora slip far enough to return in such a diminished draft.

Cliff notes version of an article in The Athletic tonight:
-Teams have asked players for permission to cancel or modify the draft.
-Cancellation is unlikely due to possible effect on next year’s free agency of a draft “super class” and desire to get the national spotlight after the NFL draft.
-Players are likely to be agreeable to a modification. A possible two to three round draft was suggested.

A two or three round draft would likely see at worst McMahon, Toral, Cecconi, and Zamora leave. I wouldn’t be stunned to see Cecconi and Zamora slip far enough to return in such a diminished draft.
You really think Zamora will be drafted early enough to leave? He has a major knee injury and is awful in the field. There will be some questions. Slade has shown great potential but the results haven’t been there. I feel both will come back. I think McMahon leaves and Toral is 50/50.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if Toral goes in the 1st 3 rounds. Saw he's ranked something like 279 on Perfect Game's draft board. His power is legit but I don't think he's much better of a prospect than someone like Willie Abreu.

In a 3 round draft I'd think you'd see teams go all out for the best talent, since they probably wouldn't have to worry about saving $ for a draft pool. So I agree we'd probably lose those other 3, plus the top 3 recruits and maybe 1 more.

IMO, from a MLB perspective a 5 round draft is probably best. They'd still get most of the legitimate prospects, but teams wouldn't have to deal with adding 30+ other prospects to their orgs in a year when there almost certainly won't be any minor league baseball

Toral has so much more power than Abreu and is a much better hitter and prospect. He unfortunately is gonna go in the Top 3 rounds.

CMac is gone, Slade should come back and so should Zamora.

Our roster next year should be legit again, would be nice for some young bats to step up.

Toral has so much more power than Abreu and is a much better hitter and prospect. He unfortunately is gonna go in the Top 3 rounds.

Our roster next year should be legit again, would be nice for some young bats to step up.
I think it would be a win for us if Slade and Zamora come back. Toral coming back would be extra. I think he was going to hit at least 20 again this year.

It feels likely, given the preexisting desire to contract the minor leagues, that we’ve seen our last 40 round draft. Beyond saving bonus money, a ten round draft feels like a good predicate not to keep the short season minors next year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You really think Zamora will be drafted early enough to leave? He has a major knee injury and is awful in the field. There will be some questions. Slade has shown great potential but the results haven’t been there. I feel both will come back. I think McMahon leaves and Toral is 50/50.
I had heard on one of the BA podcasts that this is a weak SS draft, and Zamora really did seem to have improved a lot before his injury. I guess we’ll see. Maybe he’ll decide to take a chance on returning as a RS Junior anyway to try and improve his stock.

Agree that Slade needs another year, but I’m not sure a team doesn’t take him high enough based on potential for him to leave. The big question on him is ability to get deep into games, and project as a starter long term. The more I’ve watched him, the more I think he’ll profile as a reliever in pro ball.

I'd be surprised if Toral goes in the 1st 3 rounds. Saw he's ranked something like 279 on Perfect Game's draft board. His power is legit but I don't think he's much better of a prospect than someone like Willie Abreu.

In a 3 round draft I'd think you'd see teams go all out for the best talent, since they probably wouldn't have to worry about saving $ for a draft pool. So I agree we'd probably lose those other 3, plus the top 3 recruits and maybe 1 more.

IMO, from a MLB perspective a 5 round draft is probably best. They'd still get most of the legitimate prospects, but teams wouldn't have to deal with adding 30+ other prospects to their orgs in a year when there almost certainly won't be any minor league baseball
Do you happen to know where (or if) they have Gil? I’m curious as to how much effect his poor start to the season had.

I had heard on one of the BA podcasts that this is a weak SS draft, and Zamora really did seem to have improved a lot before his injury. I guess we’ll see. Maybe he’ll decide to take a chance on returning as a RS Junior anyway to try and improve his stock.

Agree that Slade needs another year, but I’m not sure a team doesn’t take him high enough based on potential for him to leave. The big question on him is ability to get deep into games, and project as a starter long term. The more I’ve watched him, the more I think he’ll profile as a reliever in pro ball.
I do think if Slade and Zamora come back and have solid years, they will be drafted first two rounds easily. I'm not sure if teams will take a chance early on a guy coming off a major injury. I agree with him becoming a reliever in his professional career. He will have a successful career if he comes in gives you 2-4 innings especially with teams going more towards the "opener" scenario like the Rays for example.

Advertisement

I doubt it.

Toral is the #279 draft prospect according to Perfect Game.
Toral isn't in the top-300 of Baseball America's just released draft board.

That doesn't add up to a top-3 round pick, especially given what the people that cover this stuff and talk to scouting directors are saying. Any chance Toral had of going that high ended when he had a brutal summer in the Cape Cod League. He's a power hitter who couldn't hit HR with a wood bat, is a poor defender, and has never hit for average. Imo he'll go top-10 rounds but I really doubt top-3.

Slade is looking like a 2nd round pick. I'm sure he'd go higher next year but that'd be tough to pass up. Then again Suarez passed it up so maybe there's a chance. Zamora is in a similar situation.

Gil is projected to go somewhere between round 6-8 depending on where you look.

I doubt it.

Toral is the #279 draft prospect according to Perfect Game.
Toral isn't in the top-300 of Baseball America's just released draft board.

That doesn't add up to a top-3 round pick, especially given what the people that cover this stuff and talk to scouting directors are saying. Any chance Toral had of going that high ended when he had a brutal summer in the Cape Cod League. He's a power hitter who couldn't hit HR with a wood bat, is a poor defender, and has never hit for average. Imo he'll go top-10 rounds but I really doubt top-3.

Slade is looking like a 2nd round pick. I'm sure he'd go higher next year but that'd be tough to pass up. Then again Suarez passed it up so maybe there's a chance. Zamora is in a similar situation.

Gil is projected to go somewhere between round 6-8 depending on where you look.

He hit .294 with 24 HRs last season as a true Soph. Abreu hit 19 in 3 seasons. Your comparison is horrible, Toral mashes the ball, he is >>>>>>> the prospect Abreu ever could have been. I hope he doesn't leave but if it's even a 5 round draft he gone my man, zero doubt.

Also there is NO WAY Gil goes that early, he has gotten worse at the plate here and has always been a subpar defender. I expect him back 100%.

CMac = 100% gone
Toral/Zamora/Slade - 60/50/30
The rest should be back
I would have loved to have seen this season play out but we should be pretty solid next year as well. Need some young guys that can swing it, we look pretty good as far as young arms.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He hit .294 with 24 HRs last season as a true Soph my man. Abreu hit 19 in 3 seasons. Your comparison is horrible, Toral mashes the ball, he is >>>>>>> the prospect Abreu ever could have been. I hope he doesn't leave but if it's a 10 round draft he gone my man, zero doubt.

Also there is NO WAY Gil goes that early, he has gotten worse at the plate here and has always been a subpar defender. I expect him back 100%.

I literally said he'd go top-10 rounds, just not top-3.

There's no real point in arguing with you. I'm just giving you the info from Baseball America and Perfect Game, who base their rankings off talking to MLB scouts. Sorry dude but I'll trust their rankings more than yours. Toral hit 2 HR in the Cape League, he didn't mash with a wood bat. That hurts him.

And I'm not sure what you're even arguing about Gil. His slow start has hurt him. He was a projected 3rd-4th round pick before the season. MLB scouts still think he's a top-10 round talent though.

I literally said he'd go top-10 rounds, just not top-3.

There's no real point in arguing with you. I'm just giving you the info from Baseball America and Perfect Game, who base their rankings off talking to MLB scouts. Sorry dude but I'll trust their rankings more than yours. Toral hit 2 HR in the Cape League, he didn't mash with a wood bat. That hurts him.

And I'm not sure what you're even arguing about Gil. His slow start has hurt him. He was a projected 3rd-4th round pick before the season. MLB scouts still think he's a top-10 round talent though.

Your Abreu/Toral comparison was laughable my man. I have also seen mocks with Toral in late 2nd/3rd round or the record. You believe what you want as will I champ. Hope we get to play ball next year so we can talk about actual games instead of comparing Abreu to Toral :ibis-roflmao-sm3: .

My CWS tickets were already refunded, but hopefully next year I can see the Canes in Omaha again.

/Just for ***** I pulled up their Soph/Jr year stats (Torals Jr year was cut way short), Abreu hit 18 HRs in 568 ABs, Toral had 29 in 265 ABs. And Toral hit for a better average.

Last edited:
He hit .294 with 24 HRs last season as a true Soph. Abreu hit 19 in 3 seasons. Your comparison is horrible, Toral mashes the ball, he is >>>>>>> the prospect Abreu ever could have been. I hope he doesn't leave but if it's even a 5 round draft he gone my man, zero doubt.

CMac = 100% gone
Toral/Zamora/Slade - 60/50/30
The rest should be back
I would have loved to have seen this season play out but we should be pretty solid next year as well. Need some young guys that can swing it, we look pretty good as far as young arms.
If we are talking I’m numbers, I’m gonna go Toral 50%, Slade and Zamora 20%. Yes I’m optimistic lol.

Advertisement
Back