**** Butkus, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor

LT changed the game you had to game plan against him I’m not sure you can say that about too many defensive players. Lewis had that drive where he just willed himself to win.
The best single game by a linebacker that I’ve seen was by Brian Urlacher. I think it was a Monday night game against the Cardinals.

Advertisement
LT changed the game you had to game plan against him I’m not sure you can say that about too many defensive players. Lewis had that drive where he just willed himself to win.
The best single game by a linebacker that I’ve seen was by Brian Urlacher. I think it was a Monday night game against the Cardinals.
Same for Ray Lewis.

For College....Watch Tiger Clarks effort against OU (filling in for Mira) in 87/88 NC
For NFL....either Morgans effort in SB (losing)...or Cornelius Bennett against Redskins in SB (losing)

Advertisement
You have absolutely no idea if that is true or not. Have him grow up in a modern defense. Eating modern diets. Taking modern supplements. Training using modern equipment and he may have been a very different player.
You have a good take. But we’re not talking hypotheticals. At least I am not. I’m saying the players back then would look way different now.

Let me tell tell you a bit about where I’m coming from. I not young but I’m not old. I grew up in Pittsburgh sports and NFL films. I saw the old cats and heard every story. So I get it. He was an excellent player. He would be similar to a combo of Clay Matthews and Sean Lee minus the speed. You can eat like LeBron and train like AB but you can’t teach speed. Game is different today.

More speed. Different offenses. More color. WAAAAAY more color.

And if you say all that then it goes both ways. Give players now a days the freedoms he had against the competition he had and it looks different.

It AIN'T about rings. Based on that argument Tommy Smith is better than Barry Sanders.

I put that rings for you young guys who may not have seen them both play, but still know the name recognition thanks to the the Chicago Press that made the myth he was better than Nitschke. I'll leave it at this:

"Because somewhere down the line, the media decided that **** Butkus was a better linebacker than Ray Nitschke. It certainly wasn't the NFL. For when both Butkus and Nitschke were playing ball, it was not Butkus who was named by the NFL as the best linebacker in the NFL's first 50 years, but Ray Nitschke."

Thank you and goodnight.

You have a good take. But we’re not talking hypotheticals. At least I am not. I’m saying the players back then would look way different now.

Let me tell tell you a bit about where I’m coming from. I not young but I’m not old. I grew up in Pittsburgh sports and NFL films. I saw the old cats and heard every story. So I get it. He was an excellent player. He would be similar to a combo of Clay Matthews and Sean Lee minus the speed. You can eat like LeBron and train like AB but you can’t teach speed. Game is different today.

More speed. Different offenses. More color. WAAAAAY more color.

And if you say all that then it goes both ways. Give players now a days the freedoms he had against the competition he had and it looks different.

Of course, but that is going to be the same thing in 80 years. The young kids are going to be saying schit like Ray Lewis is trash. Look how small and slow he is compared to our modern day LBs. You always got to compare people to the players they competed against. When talking GOAT you compare them to what they did in their day not if you dropped them into the modern era.

This is like the young dudes that say Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain are trash because they would get worked in todays game. Or the guys that say Rocky Marciano isn't the GOAT because he would get beat by the bigger modern Heavyweights. Give Bill, Wilt, and Rocky the drugs these guys take and they would be just as good in this era.

Advertisement
All I know is I used to F-ing Love watching Lambert...Russell & Ham play as a unit, even though I was a Dolphin fan....Those 3 Dudes came to F you up EVERY game....And thats if your *** was able to evade Mean Joe...LC...Dwight...and Holmes...

They all were tough guys, but Ray Lewis coming back from a pulled bicep to win a super bowl was exceptional

Advertisement
Ray Lewis is the best defensive player ever, any position. Not just because of what he did during live action, but equally or moreso because of what he did between live action. He was the best leader and motivator and at MLB led the best defense ever, no disrespect to the ‘85 Bears, who I grew up rooting for.

00 Ravens defense was good but 85 Bears was better

To me LT was the best NFL player of any position to walk the face of the earth.

I am a Giants fan though so my view is a bit tainted . but still.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Of course, but that is going to be the same thing in 80 years. The young kids are going to be saying schit like Ray Lewis is trash. Look how small and slow he is compared to our modern day LBs. You always got to compare people to the players they competed against. When talking GOAT you compare them to what they did in their day not if you dropped them into the modern era.

This is like the young dudes that say Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain are trash because they would get worked in todays game. Or the guys that say Rocky Marciano isn't the GOAT because he would get beat by the bigger modern Heavyweights. Give Bill, Wilt, and Rocky the drugs these guys take and they would be just as good in this era.

Rocky Marciano is a **** fraud. He fought in an Era when the Heavyweight division was dying with Joe Lewis and Jersey Joe Wolcott

00 Ravens defense was good but 85 Bears was better
Factually, that is not true. Baltimore gave up fewer points per game, and in an era more favorable to offenses than the ‘80s was.

The ‘85 Bears were amazing and I lived in Chicago as a kid so I’m loyal to them, and their scheme and style were more innovative, but the Ravens were more suffocating, and the results showed it.

Rocky Marciano is a **** fraud. He fought in an Era when the Heavyweight division was dying with Joe Lewis and Jersey Joe Wolcott

LMFAO. Not even close. Rocky is arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time. Go to any boxing gym in NYC and talk to real boxing fans, especially the ones that actually saw him fight live and they will tell you. Far from a fraud. Even in the "tall heavyweight eras" he would have just dropped down to Cruiserweight if he needed to.

Advertisement
Back