Desantis on Covid-19

BisCane

Junior
Don’t get the love for DeSantis. He’s got his head up Trump’s ass and, as a result, won’t make a decision that is politically risky. So he lets the counties decide what to do...and so the virus will spread to and surge in every county before the rest go into lockdown but we will have gotten most of spring break in and allowed in a couple hundred packed flights from NY/NJ - oh, but don’t worry, DeSantis de enforcer has told them they gotta stay home or else! Brilliant! He’s Trump’s ***** and probably hoping for an admin job or, if Haley, says no, the Veep job.

Go Canes!!

All ACC
Don’t get the love for DeSantis. He’s got his head up Trump’s ass and, as a result, won’t make a decision that is politically risky. So he lets the counties decide what to do...and so the virus will spread to and surge in every county before the rest go into lockdown but we will have gotten most of spring break in and allowed in a couple hundred packed flights from NY/NJ - oh, but don’t worry, DeSantis de enforcer has told them they gotta stay home or else! Brilliant! He’s Trump’s ***** and probably hoping for an admin job or, if Haley, says no, the Veep job.

Not sure what DeSantis is supposed to do about people coming in from New York.

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Seems to me the measured approach he has taken is very politically risky if the gloom and doomers are right.

1LuvCane

Senior

brcane1

Sophomore
Banned
DeSantis has pivoted to the center effectively and been a steadying presence generally. He's going to get re-elected. Maybe if like a Val Demmings ran against him, she'd be a bad matchup with her negatives as a Police Chief or whatever largely playing well as law and order here. Basically Gillum without the thin resume, corruption investigation, and gigolos. But she's way more likely to take on Voldemort or Rubio at this point I think, they're weaker than DeSantis.

MIA42178

All-ACC
He’s done a few dumb things too.
1. closing beaches AFTER spring break. Dumb
2. Asking people not to congregate in groups of 10 and closing schools, but DMS offices with hundreds of state employees are still open? Hard to take someone serious about social distancing when he isn’t doing the same. He orders admin leave for hurricanes and should do the same for a week or two w his own employees.
3. another head scratcher. The state EOC is capable of being run almost entirely remotely. There’s a live feed of it. So why not have only a handful of necessary individuals there and tell everyone else who shows up live for briefings to GTFO?

I voted for DeSantis, but I can’t give him more than a B- right now. And no fucking way is this guy presidential material. He won’t even be the best candidate from his own state if Rick Scott runs.

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
He’s done a few dumb things too.
1. closing beaches AFTER spring break. Dumb
2. Asking people not to congregate in groups of 10 and closing schools, but DMS offices with hundreds of state employees are still open? Hard to take someone serious about social distancing when he isn’t doing the same. He orders admin leave for hurricanes and should do the same for a week or two w his own employees.
3. another head scratcher. The state EOC is capable of being run almost entirely remotely. There’s a live feed of it. So why not have only a handful of necessary individuals there and tell everyone else who shows up live for briefings to GTFO?

I voted for DeSantis, but I can’t give him more than a B- right now. And no fucking way is this guy presidential material. He won’t even be the best candidate from his own state if Rick Scott runs.
Fair criticisms, all.

BisCane

Junior
Tell them they need to quarantine for 2 weeks (exactly like he did), and hope they listen. Not much else he can do.
True. He should have been getting Trump to block flights from the metro NJ-NY area though. Now the following isn't about DeSantis, or maybe it's about the lack of DeSantis: Our Palm Beach County shutdown of non-essential businesses is really...a joke. If the virus is contained here, then keeping all retail stores open will look brilliant, but if not, the lack of an effective shutdown coming from Tally could loom large down the road.

1LuvCane

Senior
He's giving the local counties and municipalities autonomy. The big gov't people just wants him to run roughshod over the state. Local politicians need to take the baton and run their areas appropriately. IMO

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
True. He should have been getting Trump to block flights from the metro NJ-NY area though. Now the following isn't about DeSantis, or maybe it's about the lack of DeSantis: Our Palm Beach County shutdown of non-essential businesses is really...a joke. If the virus is contained here, then keeping all retail stores open will look brilliant, but if not, the lack of an effective shutdown coming from Tally could loom large down the road.
The federal government stepping in to essentially block interstate commerce by banning flights is an extraordinary step.

SWFLSWAGG17

SW Florida Dawg
As long as the dems in the state house won't get on board with school of choice they will not win the Governor's race. Too many left leaning single mothers want their kids to go to schools that actually give their kid a chance at the American dream. DeSanits would have to totally step on his Diick to blow it otherwise.

JD08

He's giving the local counties and municipalities autonomy. The big gov't people just wants him to run roughshod over the state. Local politicians need to take the baton and run their areas appropriately. IMO
Exactly. Here in PBC they allowed parks to stay open until they started getting crowded. They left boat ramps open until people started gathering on the sandbars. It's a minority of stupid people who think it won't happen to them that cause people to want oppressive measures.

1LuvCane

Senior
Exactly. Here in PBC they allowed parks to stay open until they started getting crowded. They left boat ramps open until people started gathering on the sandbars. It's a minority of stupid people who think it won't happen to them that cause people to want oppressive measures.
Like the porster on here who keeps insisting on shutting down the state.

1LuvCane

Senior
@JD08
The same clowns who are running and hiding would be the first ones cowering if they had to defend their property. If this is a war against this virus? We need to get up and fight...

JD08

@JD08
The same clowns who are running and hiding would be the first ones cowering if they had to defend their property. If this is a war against this virus? We need to get up and fight...
There is a sane middle ground between "screw it, I'm gonna party" and "Ermagerd! I'm locking myself in my house. I need more toilet paper!"