Dennis Erickson

I love JJ but ... he had some crushing losses as our HC. Ths Sugar Bowl against Tennessee (cost us a NC), the Fiesta Bowl (cost us a NC), the unbelievable comeback loss in the OB to Maryland (where they erased a 31-0 halftime lead), and the Flutie game.

Advertisement
Here's the choices:

Coach 1
Six years
11-1
10-2
12-0
11-1
9-3
10-2
2 national championships in six years

Coach 2
Six years
12-0
12-1
11-2
9-3
9-3
7-6
1 national championship in six years

Since these 2 records are virtually identical I suppose half the folks here would take Coach 1 and the other half would take Coach 2?

Nope.

One of these guys was fired by the U, fyi, while the other took an NFL head coaching position. Do what you will with that info...

Dennis is that u???? We get it, u where one of our best!!!

All of our coaches ****ed up in one way or another for 20 years! We should of won at least 10 in those 20 years. Only difference between what we did and what Saban is doing is that he found his nitch, he sucked with the Dolphins and knows the NFL is not for him! We had a revolving door of guys who just wanted that big shot!!

I love JJ but ... he had some crushing losses as our HC. Ths Sugar Bowl against Tennessee (cost us a NC), the Fiesta Bowl (cost us a NC), the unbelievable comeback loss in the OB to Maryland (where they erased a 31-0 halftime lead), and the Flutie game.
The 1984 season was not a smooth ride for the coaching staff. Many were Schnelly holdovers that thought someone else should have been named HC, and were actively undermining Johnson. The bowl game losses I place the blame on Testaverde, and Johnson's inability to recognize or implement, that we should have run the ball down the throat of PSU.

All of our coaches ****ed up in one way or another for 20 years! We should of won at least 10 in those 20 years. Only difference between what we did and what Saban is doing is that he found his nitch, he sucked with the Dolphins and knows the NFL is not for him! We had a revolving door of guys who just wanted that big shot!!
Alabama is getting many second chances to play for championships, most of which did not exist during our premier years.

Advertisement
The '92 team that played in the NC was mostly Dennis recruits. The '94 team that had one of our top defenses ever (along with '92 and '03) was all Dennis' guys. He was no Jimmy, but Dennis is infinitely better than CoRker.
No....the 92 team was mostly JJ recruits....

This. You will be hard pressed to find a bigger JJ fan than me, but even the great one had a few bad games. Erickson won a lot of games while he was here and deserves to be mentioned in the same vein as Jimmy and Howard.

The 81 team should have played for NC....They beat 5 ranked teams...and lost two because of terrible calls against Texas and Ole Miss....Tony Fitzpatrick is a close friend of mine...so is Punter Greg Labelle....both were Saban kids...as was most of the 81 team....Tony told me last yr at the ND game that I attended with him and a few other former Canes, that the officiating in the Texas and Miss games was the worst in UM History...
Think it was miss state,,remember the cow
The 81 team should have played for NC....They beat 5 ranked teams...and lost two because of terrible calls against Texas and Ole Miss....Tony Fitzpatrick is a close friend of mine...so is Punter Greg Labelle....both were Saban kids...as was most of the 81 team....Tony told me last yr at the ND game that I attended with him and a few other former Canes, that the officiating in the Texas and Miss games was the worst in UM History...
MSU i believe, remember the cow bells which had become banned during SEC games.
Miami was put on probation, banned from a bowl game in 81.
One of my favorite teams..

Advertisement
Look TaterTot....Erickson and his Dumbazz system got Spanked by a far less talented team in Bama....and barely beat an even less talented team in 89....To compare Dennis to Howard or JJ is typical CIS Lunacy...

Remember against FSU in 89 we were inside the 5 he tried to run option with Gino. Of course, it got blown up. We probably win that gave if Shannon Crowell doesn't at their 1 yardline which would have put us ahead 17-14.

Lazy recruiter. He relied on the recruiting services. Horrible evaluator of talent. That's was his MO when he left Miami as well. He could win with other guy's players. Couldn't win with his.

Alabama is getting many second chances to play for championships, most of which did not exist during our premier years.

This is what I hate most about people who prop up the "Bama" dynasty. Those **** get so many second chances that other great programs never got. Just look at how many teams Saban has had that finished the season undefeated which is a joke considering the talent, coaching, and resources gap that have on everyone else.

Remember against FSU in 89 we were inside the 5 he tried to run option with Gino. Of course, it got blown up. We probably win that gave if Shannon Crowell doesn't at their 1 yardline which would have put us ahead 17-14.

Lazy recruiter. He relied on the recruiting services. Horrible evaluator of talent. That's was his MO when he left Miami as well. He could win with other guy's players. Couldn't win with his.

His personal issues were also big, but Im also told that the magnitude and pressure of that job ate him alive, too

Yeah...but QB Erickson didn't play....(fractured knuckle) that's why Frosh Torretta was even playing....Even in the NC game against Bama...there was 2 fumbles that we DID fumble...and the refs said Ground caused it...Thank God for Chudzinski's TD catch,.. and the Bad calls for us....

Advertisement
It’s not a coincidence hooligans on Kendall went out of business after he left.

That dude singlehandedly kept that place afloat.

Because he didn't accomplish anything with his full on program.

He won the Natty with Johnson's players and setup.

Furthermore, look at what he handed off.

Lastly, he has been fired from every coaching position since leaving Miami.
Really dumb comment. look at his total record fella.

Advertisement
Yes, I read your post after I wrote mine. I don’t care about your opinion. You’re an idiot.

Sapp may have not been a top recruit, and it does not matter. No one knew Sapp would end up a first ballot NFL HOF. Erickson and his staff were quick to realize his potential at DT and moved him.

Lewis was a late qualifier but I have never hear or read of his love for FSU as a teenager. Nor does it matter. Miami saw his play and offered him a scholarship. He accepted.

I do remember Erickson mentioning Holmes sacking Bryce seven times in a game. So what? Recruiting was different then. Coaches learned about in many different ways.

All three cases were a job well done.

There are plenty of other poor recruiting choices in Erickson’s history.
I’m an idiot??!!!! F#ck you moron- as for opinions- they’re like a#sholes- like you- everyone’s got one and they all stink- except yours stink worse than most- what I wrote is Fact not opinion but you’re too stupid tell the difference

Advertisement
Back