Demetrius Jackson clears up speculation

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Yesterday was a whirlwind of a day for Booker T. Washington linebacker Demetrius Jackson. After weeks of talk whether he would stick with his Miami commitment or not, Jackson officially decommitted before committing later in the day.

“Honestly, you know I’m so new to this process, but I realize it’s a privilege to have an opportunity to play at the University of Miami. It’s done and that’s where I’m going. All other offers are closed. If I could sign early, I would, but I have to wait ‘till February,” said Jackson.

A talk with Miami linebackers coach Micheal Barrow was one of the major reasons for Jackson changing his mind back so quickly.

“He was just telling me about family and how there are seniors leaving at the position they’re recruiting me at. He talked to me about how it’s a prestigious college and I thought about how they were the first school on me when I was a 0-star recruit so I wanted to show loyalty by sticking by them and loyalty is extremely important to me. I see that the Canes family sticks by me because I saw how they went crazy when they thought they were losing me, but I’m staying.”

What kind of role did his family make in his decision to stay in Miami?

“All of my family is honestly die-hard Canes fans and they were upset when I was thinking about my decision. What if I get homesick? I can always catch the Metrorail back or they can come to campus to see me and I can see their face and hear their voices because I love my family to death. I love this Overtown community where I come from to death. After a game, I’m not one of those players who is bigheaded. I like to go and hang around my home boys and the old dudes.”

Jackson will receive an in-home visit from Barrow, Jethro Franklin, and Mark D’Onofrio tomorrow night. D’Onofrio has an idea of how he will use Jackson at Miami.

“He says I’m going to be a stand-up rusher and outside linebacker, so that’s why I need to fill out quickly once I get to the college level.”

The Tornadoes just finished off their undefeated season with a State Championship win over Jacksonville Bolles.

“It felt so great, man. I was jumping around the field, doing backflips. It felt like I was on top of the world and I still can’t believe it. We’re national champs. Little old Booker T in the heart of Overtown is national champs. That’s a blessing because back in the Spring I was a nobody and now everyone knows my name. I still have that in my mind that I’m still a low-key guy and humble. I would do it all over again the same way if I could.”

Some Miami fans are worried about his BTW teammates Chad Thomas and Nigel Bethel taking visits elsewhere. Does Jackson see the three of them at Miami together.

“I honestly think so because we have built a bond and we don’t want to break that.”

Advertisement
I said this multiple times yesterday, the kid is so new to this that he wont be perfect at this and he'll do some things he'll regret but im glad that he's learned from this and will be a Cane in the end

MAYBE DJ knew how much we hated the Arkansas fans and he just totally f_ucked with them for us... maybe?

Advertisement
I said this multiple times yesterday, the kid is so new to this that he wont be perfect at this and he'll do some things he'll regret but im glad that he's learned from this and will be a Cane in the end

No actually Pete said that. Just sayin

I just hope they don't fill him out too much to where he loses explosiveness ala Chick

Chick was overloaded to play inside and in the trenches in a 3-4. DJ is headed for OLB, he will not be swollen up to Chick size.

I just hope they don't fill him out too much to where he loses explosiveness ala Chick

Lol.. Chick and Demetrius is two different players. They have nothing in common with their type of play. Chick is doing what he's suppose to, Demetrius is a pure rushing end.

GOOD ****

Advertisement
I think Jackson will be more of a linebacker than D-End. He hasn't had to to it at BTW, but I think he's athletic enough to cover.

I said that multiple times in the 9 page long post yesterday.................. everybody knew this was his first year playing HS ball. Besides that beast work once again Pete!

Advertisement

I said that multiple times in the 9 page long post yesterday.................. everybody knew this was his first year playing HS ball. Besides that beast work once again Pete!

Not a dig just maybe I didn't read all nine pages and I def saw Pete say it

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back