Deerfield Beach - Monarch observations

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
It was a great atmosphere tonight at Coconut Creek High School for Monarch's homecoming game. There was a lot of hype leading into this one, and it didn't disappoint. It was essentially the district championship game, as both teams were undefeated before tonight. Deerfield Beach fell behind 14-0 early before they fought back and scored 21 unanswered to take the lead late in the 3rd. Monarch tied it in the 4th and then blocked a 20-yard FG attempt to send it into overtime, where Brandon Powell's 2-yard TD run won the game. This was a great game to watch with two well-coached teams.

Deerfield Beach

**Miami commit Brandon Powell is just a great football player. He is easily a top 3 player in South Florida out of all classes, not just 2014. Versatility is his calling card and that was on display tonight as he played cornerback (covering Shawn Burgess-Becker and Calvin Ridley), receiver, running back, punt/kick return, and he was even the team's holder on field goals. At receiver, he was getting open with ease but dropped two passes that would have been big plays. He was picking up positive yardage all night until he finally hit the big one with 11 seconds in the 3rd quarter remaining. He was hit 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage, broke the tackle, reversed field, and turned on the jets down the sideline for a 51-yard touchdown. He had a number of tough runs late in the game and then scored the team's game-winning touchdown in overtime from two yards out. There's no doubt he could play corner at Miami too. He was covering Burgess-Becker for most of the night and held him in check for the most part, which was impressive considering Burgess-Becker's size and strength advantage. The bottom line is that Miami got a great football player in Powell and he is a Golden type recruit. All of Monarch's top players went up to Powell after the game, which shows the amount of respect he has from his peers.

**CB Jamie Pierre is a prospect to keep an eye on. Pierre is a 2015 kid who has great size (6-1) and speed. He was hitting all night and also had an interception with a nice return added on. He will be a big-time prospect.

**QB Danarius Graham (2014) is a very intriguing prospect. He is a very exciting athlete, but I think he has a chance to play quarterback at the next level. He has a live arm and moves very well in and out of the pocket. He was keeping plays alive all night for big plays downfield.

**2015 DE Jason Strowbridge was having a solid night before an apparent eye injury. Strowbridge's size is legitimate at about 6-5, 250 and it was interesting to see him being used as a stand-up end for most of the second half. He isn't afraid to get dirty in the trenches either, which is a promising sign from a young lineman. I'm excited to see how he continues to develop.

Monarch

**Shawn Burgess-Becker gets most of the hype on this team, but Calvin Ridley (2015) is every bit of a prospect as SBB. Ridley is the leading receiver in South Florida and his ability was on display tonight. He didn't put up crazy numbers, but every time he touched the ball he was electric. He has good size and explosive quickness. Ridley does a very good job of changing speeds when he's running with the ball. He was also looking very good on the defensive side of the ball, where he had an interception early in the game and was used as a blitzer up the middle on a number of plays.

**Burgess-Becker is as impressive as it gets from a physical standpoint at the high school level. SBB plays both ways and is a great tackler from the safety spot. DMoney made note of the fact that he does a great job of squaring up and wrapping up, as opposed to just recklessly throwing his body around which is rare for a safety at the high school level. He only had a few catches on offense, but the flashes were there when he touched the ball. He is a physical receiver who uses his body well and finishes runs strongly. He had a drop tonight, but he does a great job of catching the ball with his big hands. 5-star prospect.

Advertisement
It was a great atmosphere tonight at Coconut Creek High School for Monarch's homecoming game. There was a lot of hype leading into this one, and it didn't disappoint. It was essentially the district championship game, as both teams were undefeated before tonight. Deerfield Beach fell behind 14-0 early before they fought back and scored 21 unanswered to take the lead late in the 3rd. Monarch tied it in the 4th and then blocked a 20-yard FG attempt to send it into overtime, where Brandon Powell's 2-yard TD run won the game. This was a great game to watch with two well-coached teams.

Deerfield Beach

**Miami commit Brandon Powell is just a great football player. He is easily a top 3 player in South Florida out of all classes, not just 2014. Versatility is his calling card and that was on display tonight as he played cornerback (covering Shawn Burgess-Becker and Calvin Ridley), receiver, running back, punt/kick return, and he was even the team's holder on field goals. At receiver, he was getting open with ease but dropped two passes that would have been big plays. He was picking up positive yardage all night until he finally hit the big one with 11 seconds in the 3rd quarter remaining. He was hit 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage, broke the tackle, reversed field, and turned on the jets down the sideline for a 51-yard touchdown. He had a number of tough runs late in the game and then scored the team's game-winning touchdown in overtime from two yards out. There's no doubt he could play corner at Miami too. He was covering Burgess-Becker for most of the night and held him in check for the most part, which was impressive considering Burgess-Becker's size and strength advantage. The bottom line is that Miami got a great football player in Powell and he is a Golden type recruit. All of Monarch's top players went up to Powell after the game, which shows the amount of respect he has from his peers.

**CB Jamie Pierre is a prospect to keep an eye on. Pierre is a 2015 kid who has great size (6-1) and speed. He was hitting all night and also had an interception with a nice return added on. He will be a big-time prospect.

**QB Danarius Graham (2014) is a very intriguing prospect. He is a very exciting athlete, but I think he has a chance to play quarterback at the next level. He has a live arm and moves very well in and out of the pocket. He was keeping plays alive all night for big plays downfield.

**2015 DE Jason Strowbridge was having a solid night before an apparent eye injury. Strowbridge's size is legitimate at about 6-5, 250 and it was interesting to see him being used as a stand-up end for most of the second half. He isn't afraid to get dirty in the trenches either, which is a promising sign from a young lineman. I'm excited to see how he continues to develop.

Monarch

**Shawn Burgess-Becker gets most of the hype on this team, but Calvin Ridley (2015) is every bit of a prospect as SBB. Ridley is the leading receiver in South Florida and his ability was on display tonight. He didn't put up crazy numbers, but every time he touched the ball he was electric. He has good size and explosive quickness. Ridley does a very good job of changing speeds when he's running with the ball. He was also looking very good on the defensive side of the ball, where he had an interception early in the game and was used as a blitzer up the middle on a number of plays.

**Burgess-Becker is as impressive as it gets from a physical standpoint at the high school level. SBB plays both ways and is a great tackler from the safety spot. DMoney made note of the fact that he does a great job of squaring up and wrapping up, as opposed to just recklessly throwing his body around which is rare for a safety at the high school level. He only had a few catches on offense, but the flashes were there when he touched the ball. He is a physical receiver who uses his body well and finishes runs strongly. He had a drop tonight, but he does a great job of catching the ball with his big hands. 5-star prospect.

:eekeyes:

Pete kills it. Tito as well. Very happy with all the work you guys do to keep us informed, especially out of towners like myself.

I do not take him calling Brandon Powell a top 3 player in So Fla lightly at all. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Corn Elder. Anybody else get that vibe? I love Corn, love his highlights on the basketball court too, and think that guys like him and Powell are just winners and they have that extra something that makes guys play better than the measurables.

Powell actually reminds me a lot of Dallas as well but he is a good tick faster and probably has the frame to max out a little bigger too. Very exciting.

[video=youtube;Xliz8A4bn1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xliz8A4bn1o&feature=share&list=UU5g6Qe1PtUKxRrd3IAGTLwg[/video]

Advertisement
Did you see the Deerfield QB just relax and move around within the pocket? Nice to see given what we are dealing with in Coral Gables.

A friend of mine works at Deerfield. He told me the Powell is a really great kid. Sounds like a classic Golden player. Everyone can complain all they want about the RBs we didn't get for 2014, but I think we got the two best ones down here. I can't wait to see Brandon, Yearby, DC and Duke next year.

Anyone who doesn't think that what is in a kid's heart matters, think about this week. We play horrible but team grits it out and wins on the road. Loserville plays good, gets way ahead but loses at home. It is great to be a Miami Hurricane.

Pete covered most of my thoughts, but I may as well chime in as well.

- This was a really entertaining and well-played game. I'd never seen Monarch play, and I was very impressed. They remind me a bit of University School. They have a lot of talent outside of the two big names.

- When Pete says Brandon Powell is a top 3 player in South Florida, he means player and not necessarily prospect (although Powell is a great prospect, too). It's hard to understate how much he means to this Deerfield Beach team. You could easily spot him after the game, because his jersey was so much dirtier than everyone else's. Even on running plays where he doesn't the ball, he is looking to make a block. It was fitting he scored the game-winner. Special competitor.

I still don't know where to play him. He has the quickness and toughness to play corner. He got outstanding separation as a receiver all night, even though he dropped a couple. And of course he is the most productive runner in Broward County. I do worry about his lower-body, though. It's not as stout as you'd like to see for a 5'8 runner. However, Powell is very tough and is by no means afraid of contact.

- Calvin Ridley reminds me a bit of Marquise Lee. He has outstanding acceleration and quickness, and he plays the game with so much passion. He goes 100 MPH before, during and after the snap. Ridley is extremely animated, which is a stark contrast from the more reserved Shawn Burgess-Becker. I was surprised by how good Ridley was on defense. He played in the box most of the second half and threw his body around with reckless abandon. No brainer offer for Miami.

- Jamie Pierre is an unknown 2015 kid (couldn't find anything on the internet) but he is a long-armed and athletic corner. Had a nice pick and several big tackles.

D$ and Pete...

Who are Ridley's favorites if any?
Do we have a legit Shot at SBB?

With Powell, do you see him as a Dallas Crawford type with more speed? I mean after watching Dallas against UNC he's got alot of wiggle and can start and stop on a dime (which would make for a good Slot..no?)

Advertisement
With Powell, do you see him as a Dallas Crawford type with more speed? I mean after watching Dallas against UNC he's got alot of wiggle and can start and stop on a dime (which would make for a good Slot..no?)

That's a pretty good comparison.

I think we have a very good shot at SBB and Ridley, but it's early.

Do you think Powell's position will depend on numbers at each position and which we need him at the most?

Or is this the type of kid you find his best position and put him at regardless of numbers at each position

Do you think Powell's position will depend on numbers at each position and which we need him at the most?

Or is this the type of kid you find his best position and put him at regardless of numbers at each position

We shall see. I still think Crawford should be a slot receiver but we don't have enough depth at RB.

Advertisement

That's a pretty good comparison.

I think we have a very good shot at SBB and Ridley, but it's early.

Funny, Dallas Crawford immediately came to mind. Seems like a rich mans version.

Pete kills it. Tito as well. Very happy with all the work you guys do to keep us informed, especially out of towners like myself.

I do not take him calling Brandon Powell a top 3 player in So Fla lightly at all. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Corn Elder. Anybody else get that vibe? I love Corn, love his highlights on the basketball court too, and think that guys like him and Powell are just winners and they have that extra something that makes guys play better than the measurables.

Powell actually reminds me a lot of Dallas as well but he is a good tick faster and probably has the frame to max out a little bigger too. Very exciting.

http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...-personified?p=1632511&viewfull=1#post1632511

I still don't know where to play him. He has the quickness and toughness to play corner. He got outstanding separation as a receiver all night, even though he dropped a couple. And of course he is the most productive runner in Broward County. I do worry about his lower-body, though. It's not as stout as you'd like to see for a 5'8 runner. However, Powell is very tough and is by no means afraid of contact.

As many waterbug, elite take-it-to-the-house quick guys as SoFla produces I would really like to see our coaching staff get way-outside-the-box creative and create a specific role for players like this as a staple in our offense. It kills me to see guys like Mackenzie and others get away when you know they'll be SportsCenter staples very soon for someone else. Having them play as strictly RBs, like we're doing with two smaller types in Duke/Crawford works as they're good enough athletes to make it work, but I'd love to see us find more ways to recruit this type of kid and do unique things with them. (Don't ask me for specifics, I'm not Art Briles, I don't know the answer..... I just know that SoFla produces these kids like crazy and we need to capitalize on it... let's start an offensive scheme revolution).

Advertisement

As many waterbug, elite take-it-to-the-house quick guys as SoFla produces I would really like to see our coaching staff get way-outside-the-box creative and create a specific role for players like this as a staple in our offense. It kills me to see guys like Mackenzie and others get away when you know they'll be SportsCenter staples very soon for someone else. Having them play as strictly RBs, like we're doing with two smaller types in Duke/Crawford works as they're good enough athletes to make it work, but I'd love to see us find more ways to recruit this type of kid and do unique things with them. (Don't ask me for specifics, I'm not Art Briles, I don't know the answer..... I just know that SoFla produces these kids like crazy and we need to capitalize on it... let's start an offensive scheme revolution).

The Roscoe role.

We still could use 1 more big bodied RB to get the depth there where it needs to be, and then we don't have to keep trying to put square pegs in round holes. Brandon Powell is a beast at 5'9 175. Get him to 185 or so and keep him as a shifty change of pace home run threat. That kills defenses, when they have to adjust to both big guys that dont go down and little guys you cant catch

We still could use 1 more big bodied RB to get the depth there where it needs to be, and then we don't have to keep trying to put square pegs in round holes. Brandon Powell is a beast at 5'9 175. Get him to 185 or so and keep him as a shifty change of pace home run threat. That kills defenses, when they have to adjust to both big guys that dont go down and little guys you cant catch

Kid could be lethal at 185, get him in space with a LB and it's over.

Advertisement
Back