Data shows coronavirus can only be controlled if 8 out of 10 stay home

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
In three months, it will be 88 degrees here every day with an overnight low of 74. I'm sure that will have a greater effect on the spread than staying home.

Remember that Australia is in the southern hemisphere, they're going into cold and flu season whereas we're coming out.

Astcloud11

Senior
Reports show that liberals want the perception of this to be far worse than the reality.
Meanwhile, the country I'm in has a strict curfew. With a 10,000KWD (equivalent to $31,700) fine, and jail time for anyone outside between 5pm-4am. I watch my Facebook feed and I'm in disbelief on how many people are blaming Republicans/Democrats/Media for "making this out to be worse than it really is". Truth is, this thing will either spread fast and kill people because of lack of treatment with medical facilities getting stretched...or it will spread at a slow to moderate pace and be laughed and pointed at as something that "distracted us from whats really going on".

ThomasM

Senior
Meanwhile, the country I'm in has a strict curfew. With a 10,000KWD (equivalent to $31,700) fine, and jail time for anyone outside between 5pm-4am. I watch my Facebook feed and I'm in disbelief on how many people are blaming Republicans/Democrats/Media for "making this out to be worse than it really is". Truth is, this thing will either spread fast and kill people because of lack of treatment with medical facilities getting stretched...or it will spread at a slow to moderate pace and be laughed and pointed at as something that "distracted us from whats really going on".
I just don't care anymore. I'm not going to live in fear, hoarding toilet paper and praying to the rainbow unicorn princess to save me.

I am also not going to listen to a damn thing the media says about any of it. They are nothing but a propaganda machine.

brcane1

Sophomore
Had we jumped on a testing regime early instead of claiming it was hoax, we'd have the data we needed to cut through the uncertainty. Unfortunately someone was too busy playing golf and overcharging the secret service, then to lead a coordinated response.

Good article for the Federalist though, I read it earlier today. Also see this one:

The uncertainty is what is causing aggressive responses by these governments, and an apathetic American response contributed heavily to it. The World relies too much on US, but that doesn't change the fact that our government failed its citizens and the world here.

In the past you'd have expected the US to take a global leadership position here in medical research, manufacturing, and response, instead we get Trump, and more people will have died than ever had too.

Had we jumped on a testing regime early instead of claiming it was hoax, we'd have the data we needed to cut through the uncertainty. Unfortunately someone was too busy playing golf and overcharging the secret service, then to lead a coordinated response.

Good article for the Federalist though, I read it earlier today. Also see this one:

The uncertainty is what is causing aggressive responses by these governments, and an apathetic American response contributed heavily to it. The World relies too much on US, but that doesn't change the fact that our government failed its citizens and the world here.

In the past you'd have expected the US to take a global leadership position here in medical research, manufacturing, and response, instead we get Trump, and more people will have died than ever had too.
Global leadership? That’s the WHO’s job.

On a virus 7,000 miles away that both the WHO and China just a few weeks ago were saying was not transmissible between humans.

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
In three months, it will be 88 degrees here every day with an overnight low of 74. I'm sure that will have a greater effect on the spread than staying home.

Remember that Australia is in the southern hemisphere, they're going into cold and flu season whereas we're coming out.
In 2-3 weeks, Florida is going to blow up with new Covid-19 cases per MSNBC last night. The states that took aggressive action have flattened out. Florida has done very little to nothing at the state level except close some of the beaches. Only city and county governments have shut things down.

With the explosion of new cases in the next few weeks, those people are going to come in contact with family members, friends, others at the grocery store, etc. IDK how many virus cases are transmitted outdoors, but I think the weather will have little to with reducing the spread given the close contact people will have indoors.

JD08

Evidence based and data driven

Still repeating the hoax lie I see.

NC_Canes_11

Recruit
If people actually cared about containing this disease they would be calling for our government to build the wall on the southern border. Mexico isn’t doing anything to contain the virus and it will inevitably make its way back across the border to America.

And guess what? Millions of people are about to be unemployed. Sounds like a lot of folks could use a decent paying government job. Screen and test applicants immediately. Hire the capable and healthy. I would much rather my tax dollars go toward securing this countries borders and giving folks jobs, instead of sending folks checks, who are still fully employed. You know how many hotels could stay open to house the workers? How many restaurants could stay open feeding these folks? But of course it makes too much sense for it to ever happen.

This is a wake up call. It’s time to start controlling who comes in and out of our country. If you don’t agree with this, you aren’t serious about containing this virus, or the others that will come to our shores in the future.

Go Canes!!

All ACC

You are incapable of stringing multiple sentences together without breaking into tired, partisan regurge.

You have zero credibility.

tcgrad1014

All-ACC

Actually the history of the U.S. on global crises is not "to take a global leadership" role. What we do is step in and clean up the worlds' mess by bringing forth the might of the greatest industrial power that ever existed. That's exactly what's going on now.

In 2-3 weeks, Florida is going to blow up with new Covid-19 cases per MSNBC last night. The states that took aggressive action have flattened out. Florida has done very little to nothing at the state level except close some of the beaches. Only city and county governments have shut things down.

With the explosion of new cases in the next few weeks, those people are going to come in contact with family members, friends, others at the grocery store, etc. IDK how many virus cases are transmitted outdoors, but I think the weather will have little to with reducing the spread given the close contact people will have indoors.
Over 200 flights a day from the New York area is what’s going to blow up our numbers

brcane1

Sophomore
Actually the history of the U.S. on global crises is not "to take a global leadership" role. What we do is step in and clean up the worlds' mess by bringing forth the might of the greatest industrial power that ever existed. That's exactly what's going on now.
We are still the world's foremost commercial power, but China passed us an industrial power some time ago and are actually about to double us up. The US Manufacturing industry has been officially in a recession since about when Trump's trade war ramped up.

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
Over 200 flights a day from the New York area is what’s going to blow up our numbers
We all know the virus came from China. We had the same opportunity as the rest of the world to get out in front of it. We are a tourist state. This was going to happen if we didn't take action and we didn't. It's should be a surprise if we wind up like NYC or Italy.

I know a lot of my posts may sound morbid to people, but I'm just a realist. I see what's coming.