D$'s Top 25 Prospects in Dade/Broward- #20-16

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Over the past two years, I’ve been lucky enough to see Dade and Broward’s best compete on the gridiron, at camps and at 7-on-7s. The list below is my personal opinion, and I don’t speak for Peter, Tito, Cam or Nash. All forty times are verified by SPARQ.

20. Michael Smith, OLB/DE, Northwestern (6’2, 196, 4.86)- Relentless pass rusher who put up 73 tackles and 18 sacks on a loaded Northwestern defense. After spending 2012 as a down lineman, Smith will be playing linebacker in 2013 in preparation for his Hurricane career. Struggled a bit in coverage at the Al Golden Camp but possesses the athleticism and work ethic to improve in this area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIrpDD7HgE

19. Tyrek Cole, CB, Miramar (5’11, 165)- Classic Miramar player- intelligent, athletic and confident. Cole will remind many of former Patriot Tracy Howard with his aggressiveness and polished game. As a member of the South Florida Express, Cole has faced elite competition and is one of the most battle-tested junior cornerbacks in the nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eNyiPsbVKw

18. Chris Lammons, CB, Plantation (5’9.5, 171, 4.72)- Like former ‘Cane Brandon McGee, Lammons plays quarterback for the Colonels but projects as a cornerback at the next level. Although he does not have McGee’s size or speed, Lammons is a quick and balanced athlete who gained experience at cornerback on the South Florida Express 7-on-7 team. Plays bigger than his size due to his long arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKmyKcHduKg

17. Quincy Wilson, CB/S, University (6’1, 196, 4.6)- One of the most focused and determined competitors I saw during the off-season circuit. Nobody took more reps than Wilson at the Miami NFTC, and he challenged every top receiver in attendance. Very physical at the LOS and uses his size to bully receivers. The only question: does he have the transition skills to remain at corner or is safety in his future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGrOeHRRS0

16. Jaquan Johnson, ATH, Killian (5’10, 169, 4.68)- Dynamic RB/S who carried an undersized and overachieving Killian squad to the regional finals. The 2015 prospect is still growing into his body (his brother is 6’2) and projects as a safety at the next level. The key for Johnson will be how he bounces back from a back injury that kept him out of spring practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc249aNTJ7M

The list so far:

25. Trayone "Chocolate" Gray
24. A'lique Terry
23. Sam Bruce
22. Nigel Bethel II
21. Brandon Powell
20. Mike Smith
19. Tyrek Cole
18. Chris Lammons
17. Quincy Wilson
16. Jaquan Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
wow quincy over lammons and cole?

I like the size and speed package Wilson brings to the table, and he really impressed me as a competitor during the off-season. He seems to be a football junkie. The negative is that he's a tweener, but I think he ends up as a versatile safety.

Lammons is a very good athlete but his size (5'9, skinny) and speed (4.6) worry me. Tracy Howard has had some issues with bigger, faster players, and he was much more polished than Lammons. Cole will probably end up as the best of the three by the time the post-season list comes out.

Advertisement
Good stuff man. I really liked Jaquan's film. He is a playmaker on both sides of the ball. I hope we get him in 2015.

Thought Jaquan Johnson would be top 10 at a minimum.

I think he is a baller but nothing really wows me athletically. I want to see how he physically develops over the next year.

Definition of a football player: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

See: Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin...Tim Tebow (college version...I can't believe I just typed that....going to go do 80000 pushups while I watch CaneFreak vids)

I think he is a baller but nothing really wows me athletically. I want to see how he physically develops over the next year.

Definition of a football player: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

See: Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin...Tim Tebow (college version...I can't believe I just typed that....going to go do 80000 pushups while I watch CaneFreak vids)

In all fairness, all of those guys bring something special to the table physically. Ed Reed has good size (Reed is rock solid despite being made of glass at this point) and is a very good athlete in terms of speed and agility. Boldin, while not a burner, is elite in terms of physicality and has the body to back up the mindset. Tebow is a freak athlete as well. It may not be what made him special but he's a grade A athlete for size and speed at the position.

I agree with your premise but I think all of those guys do bring something special to the table physically. A good example to me might be a guy like emmitt smith, maybe? He didn't have much going physically but had the vision and other intangibles.

Ed Reed is, at the end of the day, 5'11", 200 lbs (or whatever) and probably would run a 4.5 40 when in his prime...almost all football players are built like a rock and that is pretty standard speed for an NFL safety. In fact, he almost slid out of the 1st round of the draft BECAUSE teams thought he didn't have anything that made him stand out physically. The reason he is so good is because he has the AMAZING ability to gamble correctly...like he has a 6th sense for the ball. He is constantly out of position, but makes plays where others wouldn't because his combination of instincts and film study. Again, none of that is "physical"...it is just will.

Boldin ran a 4.7 40, but his route running and pure determination made him a bull in a China shop at the NFL level. He is big and strong, but so was Mike Williams...the difference between the two is that Boldin just gets it, to borrow terminology.

Tebow in college was the same thing...he was big and strong, but so are SEC defenses. He obviously didn't have a great arm, and from what you hear out of NFL camps, doesn't have a great mind for the game. He got the big yard when he needed the big yard mostly through sheer will. I hate the ******* guy but there is no denying that in terms of pure football player, he is one of the best of a generation at the college level.

Advertisement

1. Negged for loitering on a Miami site with your pestilential gator stench.

2. Please enlighten me as to what traits allow you to be wowed by athletic prowess.

3. Jaquan contributes at RB, WR, S, CB, and STs. The kid scores on offense and intercepts passes on defense. Seems athletic to me.

Ed Reed is, at the end of the day, 5'11", 200 lbs (or whatever) and probably would run a 4.5 40 when in his prime...almost all football players are built like a rock and that is pretty standard speed for an NFL safety. In fact, he almost slid out of the 1st round of the draft BECAUSE teams thought he didn't have anything that made him stand out physically. The reason he is so good is because he has the AMAZING ability to gamble correctly...like he has a 6th sense for the ball. He is constantly out of position, but makes plays where others wouldn't because his combination of instincts and film study. Again, none of that is "physical"...it is just will.

Boldin ran a 4.7 40, but his route running and pure determination made him a bull in a China shop at the NFL level. He is big and strong, but so was Mike Williams...the difference between the two is that Boldin just gets it, to borrow terminology.

Tebow in college was the same thing...he was big and strong, but so are SEC defenses. He obviously didn't have a great arm, and from what you hear out of NFL camps, doesn't have a great mind for the game. He got the big yard when he needed the big yard mostly through sheer will. I hate the ****ing guy but there is no denying that in terms of pure football player, he is one of the best of a generation at the college level.

We're still agreeing to an extent. I think his issue with Johnson is that he's tiny and probably tests below average ( I don't know so don't crucify me). He doesn't seem to have elite physicality, size, speed, lateral quickness or anything that makes kids that young big time prospects. He has it all upstairs, seemingly. That's how I took the comment anyway

Advertisement
lol @ Quincy Wilson playing off covg. His whole entire highlight tape, and the thoughts that he only can play press.

Just watching that tape reminds me of why kid would make a solid to good safety prospect.

He and Marcus Gayot back there would be a deadly combo.

Tebow in college was the same thing...he was big and strong, but so are SEC defenses. He obviously didn't have a great arm, and from what you hear out of NFL camps, doesn't have a great mind for the game. He got the big yard when he needed the big yard mostly through sheer will. I hate the ****ing guy but there is no denying that in terms of pure football player, he is one of the best of a generation at the college level.

We're still agreeing to an extent. I think his issue with Johnson is that he's tiny and probably tests below average ( I don't know so don't crucify me). He doesn't seem to have elite physicality, size, speed, lateral quickness or anything that makes kids that young big time prospects. He has it all upstairs, seemingly. That's how I took the comment anyway

We are agreeing (note to board: this is how conversations are supposed to take place) but my point is that we spend too much time labeling prospects as elite or not elite based on combine stuff and too much time discounting if they can actually play. Johnson is a great example. Personally he is already my favorite recruit for next cycle, even though I am sure Brewton and McFadden (whom I also want) will test WAY better than he does.

2. Please enlighten me as to what traits allow you to be wowed by athletic prowess.

3. Jaquan contributes at RB, WR, S, CB, and STs. The kid scores on offense and intercepts passes on defense. Seems athletic to me.
Yes he is athletic but where is he elite athletically? He is 5.10 and runs a 4.7 what would wow you about that? He doesnt have elite quickness either. I would probably have the other 3 DB's on this list about him but he is younger and hopefully has more growing to do.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nigel Bethel should be where Mike Smith is, Smith got at least 11 of his sacks cause of Marquis Blanchard flushing the Qb to him cause he was the best Dl in Dade County and best Defensive player on the West team. I'm not impressed with Smith I bet his numbers drop dramatically without Blanchard cause he was the beast on that team. Watch his film and see how many times Blanchard got after Qb and drew the sack to Smith. Ppl need to get out to these games and they will really know whats going down.

Nigel Bethel should be where Mike Smith is, Smith got at least 11 of his sacks cause of Marquis Blanchard flushing the Qb to him cause he was the best Dl in Dade County and best Defensive player on the West team. I'm not impressed with Smith I bet his numbers drop dramatically without Blanchard cause he was the beast on that team. Watch his film and see how many times Blanchard got after Qb and drew the sack to Smith. Ppl need to get out to these games and they will really know whats going down.

Mac,
I saw Northwestern live several times. CanesInSight was actually the first recruiting site to mention Marquis Blanchard. Peter and I made several posts about how he was the most underrated player in South Florida. In fact, I sent his tape to some college coaching buddies to try and get him looks.

Here are some of my posts from last year:

[Marquis Blanchard is] one of the best football players I saw all year. Dominated Homestead.

This guy is definitely BCS-caliber. He’s not that small and very athletic. Also started LT.

Don’t know why he ended up at Howard but he’s better than a lot of the DEs that Coker and Shannon signed.

http://canesinsight.com/threads/48680-Northwestern-Marquese-Blanchard!?highlight=blanchard

I'll echo what Pete said- Blanchard is a plain stud and was one of the best players out there last night [at the Dade v. Florida game]. Every time we've seen him he has balled out. He went both ways for Northwestern, too. FIU should have offered him yesterday, along with bigger schools.

http://canesinsight.com/threads/42679-Dade-vs-Florida-Game-Notes?highlight=blanchard

I like Mike Smith more than you do but I agree that this year will be big for him. It will be interesting how he does with a less experienced defense around him and at linebacker.

Whats wrong with agreeing to play Q. Wilson at CB? Point is he is a very talented defender and as good as anyone in SoFl. Lets say he get to UM, struggles at CB and realizes that Safety is where he's best suited. Whats the problem since he'll be redshirting anyway and getting bigger and faster! Point is get the best taklent on your roster and put guys where best suited!

Mac,
I saw Northwestern live several times. CanesInSight was actually the first recruiting site to mention Marquis Blanchard. Peter and I made several posts about how he was the most underrated player in South Florida. In fact, I sent his tape to some college coaching buddies to try and get him looks.

Here are some of my posts from last year:

[Marquis Blanchard is] one of the best football players I saw all year. Dominated Homestead.

This guy is definitely BCS-caliber. He’s not that small and very athletic. Also started LT.

Don’t know why he ended up at Howard but he’s better than a lot of the DEs that Coker and Shannon signed.

http://canesinsight.com/threads/48680-Northwestern-Marquese-Blanchard!?highlight=blanchard

I'll echo what Pete said- Blanchard is a plain stud and was one of the best players out there last night [at the Dade v. Florida game]. Every time we've seen him he has balled out. He went both ways for Northwestern, too. FIU should have offered him yesterday, along with bigger schools.

http://canesinsight.com/threads/42679-Dade-vs-Florida-Game-Notes?highlight=blanchard

I like Mike Smith more than you do but I agree that this year will be big for him. It will be interesting how he does with a less experienced defense around him and at linebacker.

I agree D$$ .. He has great measurables tho. Hope he pans out.

Advertisement
Back