Crow - whatcha think

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of taking him.

However, but but but, I can't think of a kid who'd make a better emergency 3rd string qb. He'll probably know the playbook better than the starters. He unquestionably always says the right things. He seems like the type that would accept his role, lead in the weight room, and not whine about not getting enough reps. If the unthinkable happened and 2 guys in front of him go down in the 4th quarter of a big game, he doesn't strike me as the type who would go out there unprepared, leaving our OC hamstrung with 1/8th of a playbook.

I could be getting an overly optimistic read on the kid, all of these things might change if/once he shows up and isn't "the guy" or even backing up "the guy", but I have to admit, on the surface he makes an ideal #3 (not that I'd be in the business of taking "ideal #3" kids at QB on an 85 man roster, but I'm finding a silver lining here.... he does bring some positives).

All of this said, obviously I hope he comes here and tears **** up and leads us to 4 NCs. Not trying to be negative.

Advertisement
I think if you can redshirt him then why not? Kid is huge, cannon arm, good height, etc..

I mean, if this staff can turn Jacory into a top 10 passer.............

Kid has an awesome attitude, great fundamentals, and a strong arm. He's been to nearly every Golden camp this summer.

This kid is going to have 3-4 years to reach his potential. I like the idea of having a QB come in and not have to play his first couple of years. The kid seems to have no problem with that so its a great get!

Advertisement
It is a worry. Even Dewey and Williams are far from cant miss guys and Golden never really found a QB at Temple. College coaches are extremely dependent on being able to find QBs regardless of what else they do well

He won't be asked to play anytime soon. I hope Crow and Dewey can redshirt and learn the college game. I would say Dewey is ahead of Crow by quite a bit, but I feel like we are bringing in 2 kids that will work hard and learn the system.

It is a worry. Even Dewey and Williams are far from cant miss guys and Golden never really found a QB at Temple. College coaches are extremely dependent on being able to find QBs regardless of what else they do well

It was Fisch that signed off on both guys and I like what he has done with Jacory so far. He's bringing in 2 kids that will be behind a Jr. and a Rs Soph so they will not be asked to start from day 1 IMO. That will give him time to coach them up and also sign a blue chipper like Kevin Olsen.

Ummmmmmmmmm huh?

Elite 11 QB + UA selection QB + ESPN 150 QB + offers from every school in Texas + Corched by NFL Pro QB and former Heisman QB Ty Detmer

DERP? What am I missing here?

Kid must suck if you say so

Advertisement
Only thing I really question about the Crow commitment is the timing. One thing I really didnt like about Randy was his project players that he took way too early in the recruiting cycle.

We have almost nothing at QB next year, nothing that should scare recruits anyway. Morris is ok, got some talent, but probably shouldn't be a starter here. It wouldn't surprise me if Dewey beat him out actually.

I know people are infatuated with Williams but his scout team performances aren't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on. I know he has some tools, but obviously much remains to be seen.

Taking such an early commitment from a project QB just seemed strange to me, when you could have waited and seen how the senior seasons were playing out.

I like him as a back-up guy. Its really hard to get 2 top-tier guys in the same class. Who knows how he'll develop but I'm ok with taking one stud and one project guy. Under Blandy, we would have had Crow and thats it

Advertisement
Not really a fan. IMO Dewey and Thompson are better than him. Reminds me a lot of Jeff Driskel and that's not a good thing.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of taking him.

However, but but but, I can't think of a kid who'd make a better emergency 3rd string qb. He'll probably know the playbook better than the starters. He unquestionably always says the right things. He seems like the type that would accept his role, lead in the weight room, and not whine about not getting enough reps. If the unthinkable happened and 2 guys in front of him go down in the 4th quarter of a big game, he doesn't strike me as the type who would go out there unprepared, leaving our OC hamstrung with 1/8th of a playbook.

I could be getting an overly optimistic read on the kid, all of these things might change if/once he shows up and isn't "the guy" or even backing up "the guy", but I have to admit, on the surface he makes an ideal #3 (not that I'd be in the business of taking "ideal #3" kids at QB on an 85 man roster, but I'm finding a silver lining here.... he does bring some positives).

All of this said, obviously I hope he comes here and tears **** up and leads us to 4 NCs. Not trying to be negative.

This is the part that will be interesting. As someone else stated, he was at almost every Golden camp, etc., and can apparently come off as over eager in a pretty annoying way. From what I heard some of the local WRs didn't take too kindly to his "leadership."

It will be interesting to see how he develops. I can't decide if he'll transfer out within a year...figure out how to use his tools...or just sit and wear the U and be Swagger's #3 QB kinda guy.

Ummmmmmmmmm huh?

Elite 11 QB + UA selection QB + ESPN 150 QB + offers from every school in Texas + Corched by NFL Pro QB and former Heisman QB Ty Detmer

5ringz is spot on

Advertisement

Ummmmmmmmmm huh?

Kirby Freeman?

He's a developmental quarterback. That's what I think of him.

Feeling generous during this holiday season I see.

I don't know if he'll be a scrub at Miami, but he's not Cannon Smith or Spencer Whipple, that much I can guarantee. He's not a refined QB by any means, but he has some things to like...big arm, good size, looks good in a camp setting. You bring him in and maybe you develop him. There are far worse options to bring in as that kind of QB. If he comes in and works his tail off with legitimate coaching, you never know what a kid can turn into. We took him in when we absolutely needed to bring in QBs...he was always going to be the #2 QB in the class, which is often a developmental one.

He SHOWED Golden and crew what he could do.

I've seen quarterbacks who were really good, smart, and talented, but played on a sukass team and if they weren't running for their lives every play, their receivers sucked. I've also seen quarterback with great stats who just happened to play on great teams with great programs.

Gray is smart. He's accurate. He's got a good arm. He's enthusiastic. He's a leader. He's a winner. He's determined. He's well coached. And those prima donna receivers who didn't take kindly to his enthusiasm - *** 'em.

Let's just trot him out and let him run and THEN start comparing.

I say let him compete for the job, and some here just may be surprised.

Agree with all who suggest that redshirts here would be in order.

Unless he's dynamite.

Advertisement
Back