Covid update

For_The_U

All ACC
By no means am I posting this as if it's The Word of Jesus, but it's refreshing (and I believe important) to consume thinking from all sides, not just those who believe this will reach DEFCON 1:

Go Canes!!

All ACC

Poptimus

Senior

jkaz1

Senior
I read an article this morning that quoted a doctor from Bergamo (near the white hot center of the outbreak in northern Italy) saying that at least 60% of the locals were infected.

4200 new cases in Italy. Wow.

jkaz1

Senior
I only scanned the article.

From the little bit I know about influenzas, temperature (and humidity) greatly affect the time that a virus can stay alive.

I would find it hard to believe 2-3 days in a hot environment, but who knows?

This could be unique even compared to MERS & SARS.

Isnt that short lived?

crossover22[]_[]

[]_[] already know!
I only scanned the article.

From the little bit I know about influenzas, temperature (and humidity) greatly affect the time that a virus can stay alive.

I would find it hard to believe 2-3 days in a hot environment, but who knows?

This could be unique even compared to MERS & SARS.
Here in north Carolina its supposed to be near 80 this weekend and they are saying its a good thing.

4200 new cases in Italy. Wow.

Influenza yearly cases worldwide total about 3-5 million per year.

No idea how this spreads compared to influenza because this is a novel virus. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that it might spread like influenza. So far, there’s only 200,000 cases worldwide.

Do the math.

At the same time, the world can’t come to a halt either as that will result in more deaths, many more deaths. A worldwide economic depression might kill tens of millions.

Go Canes!!

All ACC
Influenza yearly cases worldwide total about 3-5 million per year.

No idea how this spreads compared to influenza because this is a novel virus. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that it might spread like influenza. So far, there’s only 200,000 cases worldwide.

Do the math.

At the same time, the world can’t come to a halt either as that will result in more deaths, many more deaths. A worldwide economic depression might kill tens of millions.

I point out Italy because of their individual situation. They are already being forced to make unimaginable decisions about prioritizing treatment based on age. It's horrible for those poor people.

I point out Italy because of their individual situation. They are already being forced to make unimaginable decisions about prioritizing treatment based on age. It's horrible for those poor people.
Their health care system is a mess.

Interestingly enough, prior to this the WHO had them ranked as the #2 healthcare system in the world.

You don’t ever want to be sick and be in Italy if it’s anything serious.

They have universal healthcare, and thereby a two-tiered system. Most people go through the government plan, and get a very basic level of care. But there’s a “black market“ healthcare system and that only people with money participate in. Pay cash for their doctors, the best doctors gravitate to Cash only practices and patients, and cash patients have their own clinics and even hospitals.

Italy has slid by because their people are unbelievably healthy, maybe to due the Mediterranean diet. But they live an awfully long time. But they’re not healthy because of their healthcare system. They are healthy because of how they live their lives. But now with a higher proportion of older people and a rickety healthcare system, this is what happens.

Now it’s all falling apart.

AUcane

All-ACC
Their health care system is a mess.

Interestingly enough, prior to this the WHO had them ranked as the #2 healthcare system in the world.

You don’t ever want to be sick and be in Italy if it’s anything serious.

They have universal healthcare, and thereby a two-tiered system. Most people go through the government plan, and get a very basic level of care. But there’s a “black market“ healthcare system and that only people with money participate in. Pay cash for their doctors, the best doctors gravitate to Cash only practices and patients, and cash patients have their own clinics and even hospitals.

Italy has slid by because their people are unbelievably healthy, maybe to due the Mediterranean diet. But they live an awfully long time. But they’re not healthy because of their healthcare system. They are healthy because of how they live their lives. But now with a higher proportion of older people and a rickety healthcare system, this is what happens.

Now it’s all falling apart.
I thought Italy had a very high % of smokers?

Not saying they are better for you but their cigs have less chemicals and additives in them.
I just don’t know anything about their cigarettes. So I can’t even make an intelligent comment about it. But yes, it’s everything other than the nicotine in the cigarettes that causes most of the damage. I don’t remember the exact number, but there’s something like hundreds or thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes including tar of course

Also inhaling superheated gases into the delicate tissues of the lung for years and years can’t possibly be good for you even if those gases were inert, which they are not

crossover22[]_[]

[]_[] already know!
I just don’t know anything about their cigarettes. So I can’t even make an intelligent comment about it. But yes, it’s everything other than the nicotine in the cigarettes that causes most of the damage. I don’t remember the exact number, but there’s something like hundreds or thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes including tar of course

Also inhaling superheated gases into the delicate tissues of the lung for years and years can’t possibly be good for you even if those gases were inert, which they are not
Im a smoker and smoked whike in Italy. There was definitely a difference in their cigs.