Covid-19 Poses Virtually No Health Risks to Athletes

pacusmc

Freshman
Facts.
But someone will pull up some article about some dude somewhere that almost died. In medicine, just like life, there is no such thing as never or always.
But the probability of an extremely fit 18-24 year old getting very sick is extremely low. Problem isn’t the players but the family coaches and staff.
Catch rona from some girl they smashed and player might not get sick but nana ends up in the icu.

You also have to think like a parent that has no medical knowledge and their son or daughter is far from home. it’s not as easy as hey look the stats don’t lie. Mama bears think way different.

KevinCaneFace

Senior
Freelance writer from Bama. As far as where he got his information he quotes his peer-reviewed sources:

“At least based on my sports-page research, I am inclined to believe the higher estimates are a better reflection of reality. Of the stories I have found that identify the number of “positive” athletes who were asymptomatic, I’d estimate at least 90 percent of these athletes were “asymptomatic.”

1LuvCane

All ACC
Freelance writer from Bama. As far as where he got his information he quotes his peer-reviewed sources:

“At least based on my sports-page research, I am inclined to believe the higher estimates are a better reflection of reality. Of the stories I have found that identify the number of “positive” athletes who were asymptomatic, I’d estimate at least 90 percent of these athletes were “asymptomatic.”
Mope..

It is absurd to think thay athletes have some special traits that keep them from getting ill with this disease. Two MLB players have already gotten seriously ill from Covid 19. This is dellusuinal nonsense.
Nothing delusional about it. The data doesn’t lie.

But of course, you can always find agenda-driven porsters that want to convince you that a thousand college football players could die. But the reality is, based on preliminary data, this has a lower death rate in the young (less than 25 or so) when compared to yearly influenza.

The facts speak from themselves.

As far as older people that come in contact....they shouldn’t. Older people need to keep their distance from young people that are “out and about” and younger people need to be caring enough to keep away from older people, especially if the younger person is frequently coming into contact with others.

NDE

Sophomore
It is absurd to think thay athletes have some special traits that keep them from getting ill with this disease. Two MLB players have already gotten seriously ill from Covid 19. This is dellusuinal nonsense.
Some more of the Trump misinformation campaign similar to the MD who talked about Alien Sperm and Sex with Demons. All a bunch of right wing BS

AUcane

All-ACC
Too bad they're not only going to come in contact with other 18-22 year olds
not only that - I’d be real curious to see what the football cases have been and whether or not they involve 300 pounders. Any COVID medical expert will tell you that 300+ football players with an obese BMI should tread carefully with this.

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Facts.
But someone will pull up some article about some dude somewhere that almost died. In medicine, just like life, there is no such thing as never or always.
But the probability of an extremely fit 18-24 year old getting very sick is extremely low. Problem isn’t the players but the family coaches and staff.
Catch rona from some girl they smashed and player might not get sick but nana ends up in the icu.

You also have to think like a parent that has no medical knowledge and their son or daughter is far from home. it’s not as easy as hey look the stats don’t lie. Mama bears think way different.
Players won’t stop catching COVID if there’s no football. In fact, they’ll probably put themselves in more COVID-rich situations with no football, and they’ll definitely be more likely to infect their families, as they’ll be living with them instead of being isolated with teammates.

If you’re part of a team, you need to make a concerted effort to stay away from granny during the 3 measly months the season lasts. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal to stay away from granny for a few months.

CashMoneyCane

Mahoney 7
Facts.

Statistically unlikely =/= never
Statistically likely =/= always

Saying "never," "no chance" or "impossible" about things that can happen but are statistically improbable ESPECIALLY when discussing a highly communicable, potentially fatal disease is wildly irresponsible.

rustywalkedaway

Sophomore
I offer no opinion on this article, but it is interesting that we learn this at the end:

Bill Rice, Jr. is a freelance writer in Troy, Alabama. He can be reached by email at wjricejunior@gmail.com

What we never learn, including by clicking his name at the beginning, is any background or expertise.
Players won’t stop catching COVID if there’s no football. In fact, they’ll probably put themselves in more COVID-rich situations with no football, and they’ll definitely be more likely to infect their families, as they’ll be living with them instead of being isolated with teammates.

If you’re part of a team, you need to make a concerted effort to stay away from granny during the 3 measly months the season lasts. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal to stay away from granny for a few months.
The whole point would be that, as football players, you would then interact with multiple other teams in multiple other locations. And that includes administrative staff, coaches, transportation, maybe lodging, etc.... Of course they would spread the virus. If your analysis boils down to stay home with X number of people versus play ball with Y number of people, Y is empirically greater.