Correcting under-reported COVID-19 case numbers (China)

brcane1

Sophomore

Correcting under-reported COVID-19 case numbers: "In the case of China, it is estimated that more than 700.000 cases of COVID-19 actually occurred instead of the confirmed 80,932 cases as of 3/13/2020."

jkaz1

Senior
There was an article in the paper this morning stating that the South China Daily News paper (from Hong Kong, I think) got data from the Chinese govt showing that there was a case as early as Nov 17 of last year.

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
Damn, @brcane1, I have to say I'm impressed you brought something non-political to the party.

It will be at least a year before we can get a good estimate of how widespread this really was, but 10 times the reported numbers in China wouldn't surprise me.

I also now question their demographic numbers. I'm curious if they pushed their fatality rate instead of infection rate to lull younger people into thinking they were invulnerable to get them to ignore warnings and spread it wider.

Hanlon's Razor says I'm just paranoid, but I'm not certain.

Liberty City El

Dejazmach

China has/had A LOT more cases than whatever number they reported, there are some in China who believe it could be in the millions & the CCP are covering up mass deaths. Idk if that's true, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but my initial thoughts about the whole outbreak was this was a designed Biochemical weapon unleashed on the world by the Chinese government, I moved off that thought over time, but I'm seriously skeptical about how the world became contaminated in matter of 2-3 months.

This whole thing is just weird, very weird.

China has/had A LOT more cases than whatever number they reported, there are some in China who believe it could be in the millions & the CCP are covering up mass deaths. Idk if that's true, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but my initial thoughts about the whole outbreak was this was a designed Biochemical weapon unleashed on the world by the Chinese government, I moved off that thought over time, but I'm seriously skeptical about how the world became contaminated in matter of 2-3 months.

Ho Lee Fuk

Liberty City El

Dejazmach
Ho Lee Fuk
Shìts crazy.

What the CCP is reporting versus what the actual citizens on the ground are saying is happening is two totally different things. I don't believe millions of people have died from it (at least I hope not), but I definitely think the CCP has confiscated millions of people's cellphones to combat real information being leaked by their citizens.

I honestly don't know what to believe about all this anymore, but the more & more I read into & about this pandemic the less it adds up. Idk what, but whatever TF is going on right now ain't right.

Shìts crazy.

What the CCP is reporting versus what the actual citizens on the ground are saying is happening is two totally different things. I don't believe millions of people have died from it (at least I hope not), but I definitely think the CCP has confiscated millions of people's cellphones to combat real information being leaked by their citizens.

I honestly don't know what to believe about all this anymore, but the more & more I read into & about this pandemic the less it adds up. Idk what, but whatever TF is going on right now ain't right.
I mean anything that comes out of China, if you take it at face value, check your back pocket

RemainMack

Sophomore

Yep. The denominator went up. But guess what: the numerator is waaaaaay higher than they reported. Corrupt. Corrupt. Corrupt.

RemainMack

Sophomore
Shìts crazy.

I agree based on this and based on what Chinese friends with family all over in China told me. The numerator is way underreported.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Shìts crazy.

And this is partly why I've avoided basing any numbers or projections on what random **** that country provides as data. It's why I've said let's take a look at our numbers and try to predict from there. I'm watching NYC as close as can be. Hopefully, the mortality rate tracks down there as tests increase.

brcane1

Sophomore
And this is partly why I've avoided basing any numbers or projections on what random **** that country provides as data. It's why I've said let's take a look at our numbers and try to predict from there. I'm watching NYC as close as can be. Hopefully, the mortality rate tracks down there as tests increase.
I can at least confirm from first hand sources that the reported way they fought this thing matches the WSJ article up top, but no one will ever know for sure the case and death counts.

Maddog71

Freshman

China has about four times the population of the US. Even with all the people they have employed, it's still a lot of older folks to take care of. In a communist society there's not much value in being a person who no longer contributes. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried a bit of population thinning and it got out of control.