MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Hate to say this, but this will be a forgotten rivalry like all other Big 8/12 rivalries. That conference saw the loss of OU v. Nebraska and UT v. A&M. Ppl quickly forgot about it. This will be one of those “ahh yeah” moments, but give it a year or two & it will be quickly forgotten.
I already forgot about it…

Advertisement
Not by those in that state or other rivalries in other states, which is where it matters.

It would be akin to us not playing FSU yearly. Maybe we'd play them occasionally like we do UF, but it would suck for those who grew up in whatever state and went to various state schools. It's about bragging rights amongst former teammates friends, family, etc.

Take FSU off the schedule, what's our schedule look like? Oh boy, I can't wait to play VT, UNC, etc. Clemson is our biggest team on the schedule, but what matters more as fans?

The real loser is OkState. OU had the Nebraska and Texas thing, but that game still mattered to then in state. It's good to be big bro and little bro always wants to beat you.

I get both sides, but every bit of tradition that's dismantled hurts the sport.
It would look like a Big 10 or SEC schedule with new games to get mad or excited about and go the way of the Florida rivalry…

Hate to say this, but this will be a forgotten rivalry like all other Big 8/12 rivalries. That conference saw the loss of OU v. Nebraska and UT v. A&M. Ppl quickly forgot about it. This will be one of those “ahh yeah” moments, but give it a year or two & it will be quickly forgotten.
Exactly right. The only rivalry game there that has national relevance is Texas/Oklahoma. It sucks for locals and their fans, but they'll get over it pretty quickly.

I seem to recall we had a rivalry with FU at one point and even had a canoe for the trophy. Strange how it didn't really die even though they *****ed out of playing us every year.

Advertisement
Agree with you on most thing but disagree here. Rivalries are what make CFB great. You can’t keep quitting 100 year old rivalries and think it’s fine or people will forget.

I 100% miss Texas v Nebraska, Nebraska v Oklahoma, Kansas v Missouri (border war- I’ll give you not as important in football), Texas A&M v Texas or Oklahoma.

We didn’t forget about our rivalry with UF once they were “forced” to drop us.

But thanks to TV and we are going to get classics like Texas v Vanderbilt, Nebraska v Northwestern, USC v Illinois and dozens of other games a year that have no history or meaning.

My opinion is the sport is better with the OU vs OSU games.

Agree with you on most thing but disagree here. Rivalries are what make CFB great. You can’t keep quitting 100 year old rivalries and think it’s fine or people will forget.

I 100% miss Texas v Nebraska, Nebraska v Oklahoma, Kansas v Missouri (border war- I’ll give you not as important in football), Texas A&M v Texas or Oklahoma.

But thanks to TV and we are going to get classics like Texas v Vanderbilt, Nebraska v Northwestern, USC v Illinois and dozens of other games a year that have no history or meaning.

I’ll also add that it’s my opinion that large in state schools should play every year. Miami, FSU, UF - Washington v Washington St - Texas v Texas A&M etc.

Nothing replaces that kind of rivalry and hate. It fuels the sport.

i wouldnt call it iconic as OU has dominated that rivalry since forever. ****, Ok State has only won it 5 times since 2000. Still sucks to see rivalries going by the wayside.
The game is a big deal in Oklahoma. Iconic doesn’t imply the entire nation focused on the game.

Last edited:
Not by those in that state or other rivalries in other states, which is where it matters.

It would be akin to us not playing FSU yearly. Maybe we'd play them occasionally like we do UF, but it would suck for those who grew up in whatever state and went to various state schools. It's about bragging rights amongst former teammates friends, family, etc.

Take FSU off the schedule, what's our schedule look like? Oh boy, I can't wait to play VT, UNC, etc. Clemson is our biggest team on the schedule, but what matters more as fans?

The real loser is OkState. OU had the Nebraska and Texas thing, but that game still mattered to then in state. It's good to be big bro and little bro always wants to beat you.

I get both sides, but every bit of tradition that's dismantled hurts the sport.
Many or most Canes fans still want UF on the schedule annually.

Advertisement

I wasn’t saying that bro; of course that’s what makes CFB great. I’m saying in todays climate, ppl move on so quick. I think if this was OU no longer playing UT it would be a much bigger deal. But, I definitely agree that the conference realignment has f’d up tradition which makes CFB great.

Texas and Oklahoma will continue to play annually, I assume. The $EC would be dumb to not continue that rivalry. Cancelling would be like canceling Alabama-Auburn or Florida-Georgia.

Hate to see it go.

10 of the last 22 bedlam have been decided by by 7 or less points.

The game is payed late in the season and much of the time has some implications in the national picture.

Advertisement
Hate to see it go.

10 of the last 22 bedlam have been decided by by 7 or less points.

The game is payed late in the season and much of the time has some implications in the national picture.

They've had some real shootouts for sure that were entertaining unless you're a defensive guy.

Texas and Oklahoma will continue to play annually, I assume. The $EC would be dumb to not continue that rivalry. Cancelling would be like canceling Alabama-Auburn or Florida-Georgia.

There’s a lot of rivalries that’s been cancelled over the yrs prior to the conference realignment, but I feel it’s the hot topic & therefore, it’s the low hanging fruit to attack.

As an example:

UofM v. ND: once upon a time a staple in CFB. Neighbors from different conferences, battling either in Ann Arbor or South Bend. Brutal back & forth rivalry w/ UofM holding a 24-17 series lead. Yet, it just stopped.

OU v. Nebraska: Here was a rivalry that centered around CFB. Two powerhouse programs who jockeyed for position in the landscape of competing for National Titles. Ppl assume & think this rivalry stopped b/c Nebraska moved to the B1G, but in reality, when the Big 8 expanded to 12, this stopped becoming a rivalry. Since 1996, they sporadically & barely played each other. The move to the B1G was the assumed reason, but it happened b4 then, & became an afterthought.

UT vs 8&4: Ppl assume that it was b/c of 8&4’s move to the SEC that this rivalry stopped, and they would be partially correct. The fact is 8&4 didn’t want none of UT’s smoke, anymore. UT held a 76–37–5 record in this rivalry, where the greater majority of 8&4’s wins came b4 anyone of us born. 8&4 has such an inferiority complex to UT on so many levels. Texas legislators was going to pass a bill to keep this rivalry in tact and 8&4 wanted none of it.

UF v. The Good Guys: Again, this stoppage had zero to w/ conference realignment. Gators stated it was “scheduling conflicts” as to y they had to quit the rivalry, while we know it’s because they got tired of our foot being up their ****s. Regardless, this died in ‘87, w/ a game played here or there.

Pitt v. PSU: Another rivalry that just stopped in 2000, & no real reason. It had nothing to do w/ conference realignment.

Yet, a lot of these rivalries r forgotten. Ppl associate Miami w/ FSU, OU w/ UT, OSU w/ UofM. It’s not conference re-alignment; GT left the SEC yet they play UGA annually. USCe joined the SEC back in the 90’s, yet they play Clemson annually.

Sometimes rivalries die out just b/c one team keeps getting their **** kicked & want out, while others die b/c of new scheduling conflicts w/ more FBS teams than yesteryear. To squarely blame it on realignment is just easy, but again, most of these old rivalries…ppl just move on. As long as The U v. FSU, Bama v. Auburn, OU v. UT, Army v. Navy, OSU v. UofM, UCLA v. SC are still intact, the others just fall by the waste side eventually.

Advertisement

Nobody forgot about those rivalries. At least not in Texas, Nebraska or Oklahoma

There’s a lot of rivalries that’s been cancelled over the yrs prior to the conference realignment, but I feel it’s the hot topic & therefore, it’s the low hanging fruit to attack.

As an example:

UofM v. ND: once upon a time a staple in CFB. Neighbors from different conferences, battling either in Ann Arbor or South Bend. Brutal back & forth rivalry w/ UofM holding a 24-17 series lead. Yet, it just stopped.

OU v. Nebraska: Here was a rivalry that centered around CFB. Two powerhouse programs who jockeyed for position in the landscape of competing for National Titles. Ppl assume & think this rivalry stopped b/c Nebraska moved to the B1G, but in reality, when the Big 8 expanded to 12, this stopped becoming a rivalry. Since 1996, they sporadically & barely played each other. The move to the B1G was the assumed reason, but it happened b4 then, & became an afterthought.

UT vs 8&4: Ppl assume that it was b/c of 8&4’s move to the SEC that this rivalry stopped, and they would be partially correct. The fact is 8&4 didn’t want none of UT’s smoke, anymore. UT held a 76–37–5 record in this rivalry, where the greater majority of 8&4’s wins came b4 anyone of us born. 8&4 has such an inferiority complex to UT on so many levels. Texas legislators was going to pass a bill to keep this rivalry in tact and 8&4 wanted none of it.

UF v. The Good Guys: Again, this stoppage had zero to w/ conference realignment. Gators stated it was “scheduling conflicts” as to y they had to quit the rivalry, while we know it’s because they got tired of our foot being up their ****s. Regardless, this died in ‘87, w/ a game played here or there.

Pitt v. PSU: Another rivalry that just stopped in 2000, & no real reason. It had nothing to do w/ conference realignment.

Yet, a lot of these rivalries r forgotten. Ppl associate Miami w/ FSU, OU w/ UT, OSU w/ UofM. It’s not conference re-alignment; GT left the SEC yet they play UGA annually. USCe joined the SEC back in the 90’s, yet they play Clemson annually.

Sometimes rivalries die out just b/c one team keeps getting their **** kicked & want out, while others die b/c of new scheduling conflicts w/ more FBS teams than yesteryear. To squarely blame it on realignment is just easy, but again, most of these old rivalries…ppl just move on. As long as The U v. FSU, Bama v. Auburn, OU v. UT, Army v. Navy, OSU v. UofM, UCLA v. SC are still intact, the others just fall by the waste side eventually.
Pitt and PSU did stop because of realignment. Just not when you said. Pitt joined big east in 1991 and PSU joined big ten in 1993. They played their remaining scheduled games off and on till 2000. Then they couldnt get scheduling right for 16 years and didnt play. Their 2016-2019 games were just a 4 game series after 16 year hiatus.

As an example:

ND cancelled the Miami series, or didn’t extend it, because the games were too intense. I’m exaggerating a bit, but thats my recollection. And BTW, ND leads the series 17-8-1.

UF blamed $EC expansion for dropping Miami. The additional conference game required the Gators to schedule all OOC games except @FSU at home. For financial reasons. The series was 5-3 Miami from 1980-87, 10-8 UF since 1970. It feels good to say the Gators were scared to play but Gators wanted an easy home game they would sell out. With the season expansion to 12 games in 2002 we were able to get in a pair of home-and-homes, and another coming soon.

Penn State and Pittsburgh stopped after Penn State joined the BIG 10 in 1992. They played one four-game series 97-2000, and another four-game series 2016-2019. Yes, one could say they could have kept playing but PSU wanted that easy home game, like UF did.

UT vs anyone. One reason Nebraska left for the BIG 10 was UT’s political dominance of the Big 12. OU felt the same, except they waited until the $EC opportunity came. The Sooners were rumored to bolt from the Big 12 for quite awhile before.

I agree rivalries can end up forgotten, but not so easily by the fans of those teams.

What OOC game would most Cane fans most look forward to?

Florida and Notre Dame.

Not so easily forgotten.

Advertisement
Back