MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

FWIW, Dan Patrick on his show yesterday said he thinks the NBC will make a play for ND and the B1G, and basically attempt create the NFL of college football (I think he means it will be watched across the country coast to coast). Sec will counter with Clemson, UM, FSU. So basically will be a regional conference with most of the top football programs against a national conference with top academics. I'm partial to the latter, but happy just to have a seat at the table.
Just know if this happens NBC is going to waaaay overpay to make it happen. A bidding war between NBC and Fox for this new Big 10/Big Ten Network that includes ND will blow away current estimates.

Advertisement
Just know if this happens NBC is going to waaaay overpay to make it happen. A bidding war between NBC and Fox for this new Big 10/Big Ten Network that includes ND will blow away current estimates.
What I have heard is that NBC was trying to focus on a Saturday Night Game of the week similar to their Sunday Night Football professional slot.
So FOX would still focus on the noon and 2:30 games and some Night games so it would not be a war but more a collaborative thing.

What I have heard is that NBC was trying to focus on a Saturday Night Game of the week similar to their Sunday Night Football professional slot.
So FOX would still focus on the noon and 2:30 games and some Night games so it would not be a war but more a collaborative thing.
Fox is not going to pay a ton and not get a prime time slot. Not sure what you heard but I guarantee that’s wrong.

FWIW, Dan Patrick on his show yesterday said he thinks the NBC will make a play for ND and the B1G, and basically attempt create the NFL of college football (I think he means it will be watched across the country coast to coast). Sec will counter with Clemson, UM, FSU. So basically will be a regional conference with most of the top football programs against a national conference with top academics. I'm partial to the latter, but happy just to have a seat at the table.
If I'm NBC I just refuse to give Notre Dame any significant amount of money to enable their continued independence which would effectively drive them to the B1G.

I just use all that money to go get the rights to the B1G and then I end up with Notre Dame anyway and a lower cost than having had to kiss their *** and do two deals.

If I'm the B1G I collude with NBC starting now to achieve this endpoint as it'll mean more money and strength for their conference.

Let's just stop enabling these Irish f*cks now. They're not deserving of it and they only remain powerful if they're kowtowed to based upon their mythology.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would guess you end up having 2 super conferences of 24 teams. Each conference may have 4 pods of 6 teams. There are still enough good schools (either brands and/or football traditions) out there for each conference to add to get to 24 without adding watered down teams to get to 24.

Sorry if already posted, but if the SEC and Big 10 each go 24 schools or bigger, what happens to the bowls? Do you get to the point where 90% of bowls are Big 10 vs SEC? Or even where the 3rd place Big Ten Pacific NW team plays the 3rd place Big Ten SE team since there will be so many schools that will not play each other in-conference?

Fox is not going to pay a ton and not get a prime time slot. Not sure what you heard but I guarantee that’s wrong.
You cannot guarantee it is wrong. It was just what I heard the B1G was trying to do initially in negotiations. Spread their product amongst two networks.

Things may be different now but initially that is what I heard.

If I'm NBC I just refuse to give Notre Dame any significant amount of money to enable their continued independence which would effectively drive them to the B1G.

I just use all that money to go get the rights to the B1G and then I end up with Notre
You cannot guarantee it is wrong. It was just what I heard the B1G was trying to do initially in negotiations. Spread their product amongst two networks.

Things may be different now but initially that is what I heard.
I guarantee it’s wrong- not that they won’t want two networks but that fox wouldn’t want a prime time slot for that kind of cash

Advertisement
I guarantee it’s wrong- not that they won’t want two networks but that fox wouldn’t want a prime time slot for that kind of cash
If you read my post I said some night games will still go to FOX.

Remember when you have two Los Angeles Market teams there can be more than one night game that can be split amongst two networks.
Even one that can start at 9 or 10 EST if they choose to do so.

If you read my post I said some night games will still go to FOX.

Remember when you have two Los Angeles Market teams there can be more than one night game that can be split amongst two networks.
Even one that can start at 9 or 10 EST if they choose to do so.
I actually initially thought the same as @Ispyin too. But I think you're probably right when you consider the amount of product they'll have/will potentially have in every time zone as a national conference- especially so if the endpoint is 24 teams and the likely addition of more West Coast programs/markets.

According to Dan Patrick ... the STRATEGY is to have BACK TO BACK BIG 10 AND NFL GAMES ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY nights. "This would make the BIG 10 the NFL of college football". So you know then that ESPN would be countering with a similar broadcast strategy with the SECNetwork.

According to Dan Patrick ... the STRATEGY is to have BACK TO BACK BIG 10 AND NFL GAMES ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY nights. "This would make the BIG 10 the NFL of college football". So you know then that ESPN would be countering with a similar broadcast strategy with the SECNetwork.
Yup.

Advertisement
Are we talking a combo of pro and college games on BOTH Sat & Sun nights or are we talking back to back college games on Sat night and then back to back pro games on Sunday night?

I suspect it's the former but I personally have no desire for NFL games on my college Saturdays or CFB games on my NFL Sundays.

Are we talking a combo of pro and college games on BOTH Sat & Sun nights or are we talking back to back college games on Sat night and then back to back pro games on Sunday night?

I suspect it's the former but I personally have no desire for NFL games on my college Saturdays or CFB games on my NFL Sundays.
The way Patrick described it was back to back nights with a Big 10 game (Sat and Sun) followed by an NFL game.

Advertisement
Screenshot_20220809-133620_Chrome.jpg

Advertisement
Back