MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

That’s the point. Just like us, here, locally haven’t 4gotten about our rivalry w/ UF, but nationally it’s long gone.
How many fans out here in SoCal care about any rivalry back East? Even with all of our transplants.

Not serious CFB fans who watch six games every Saturday, but your casual CFB fan or PAC12 fan.

Advertisement
That’s the point. Just like us, here, locally haven’t 4gotten about our rivalry w/ UF, but nationally it’s long gone.
I completely disagree with your original post and this point is why. College football is a local sport yet has become a national product. They squeezed the life out of those local passions, which were best expressed in “meaningless“ rivalry games, then leveraged that passion to a national audience. Unfortunately that local passion is hanging on by its fingernails in the new national era, where nothing is sacred and only the playoff matters.

“No one” gives a crap about UM-FSU unless both teams are dominant. Same with UM-UF. However we all care deeply, even if we are both down.

Mich-OSU doesn’t matter to me if they aren’t both good. To them however, it always matters.

UF-FSU is the same. ND-Mich, UT-TAMU, OU-Okie State, Iowa-Iowa State, Ole Miss-MSU, on and on.

Go down the line, every single rivalry is “meaningless” nationally unless both teams are relevant. Is anyone putting aside time for the Iron Bowl if Auburn is limping in at 5-6? nah, not outside of their footprint. So those games get discarded because “we can create the perfect CFB specimen if we just build better conferences”. It’s Jurassic Park all over again.

CFB was better, imo, when it was closer to high school football than it was the NFL. Realignment AND conferences increasing their internal schedule have made the sport choose the product over tradition. Some people love the new era, they want an NFL lite and that’s fine. It is different than it used to be, for better or for worse.

Respect you and your opinion. I completely disagree that certain rivalries are still sacred or have value to everyone, or that the larger changes haven’t effected those games. Because they don’t have value nationally, CFB has decided they don’t have value at all. And it blows, imo.

Pitt and PSU did stop because of realignment. Just not when you said. Pitt joined big east in 1991 and PSU joined big ten in 1993. They played their remaining scheduled games off and on till 2000. Then they couldnt get scheduling right for 16 years and didnt play. Their 2016-2019 games were just a 4 game series after 16 year hiatus.
Couldn't get scheduling right? That's a load of ****. Pitt asked those kiddie diddlers to play every **** year. JoePa demanded a 2 for 1 on home games. THAT'S why they stopped playing.

I completely disagree with your original post and this point is why. College football is a local sport yet has become a national product. They squeezed the life out of those local passions, which were best expressed in “meaningless“ rivalry games, then leveraged that passion to a national audience. Unfortunately that local passion is hanging on by its fingernails in the new national era, where nothing is sacred and only the playoff matters.

“No one” gives a crap about UM-FSU unless both teams are dominant. Same with UM-UF. However we all care deeply, even if we are both down.

Mich-OSU doesn’t matter to me if they aren’t both good. To them however, it always matters.

UF-FSU is the same. ND-Mich, UT-TAMU, OU-Okie State, Iowa-Iowa State, Ole Miss-MSU, on and on.

Go down the line, every single rivalry is “meaningless” nationally unless both teams are relevant. Is anyone putting aside time for the Iron Bowl if Auburn is limping in at 5-6? nah, not outside of their footprint. So those games get discarded because “we can create the perfect CFB specimen if we just build better conferences”. It’s Jurassic Park all over again.

CFB was better, imo, when it was closer to high school football than it was the NFL. Realignment AND conferences increasing their internal schedule have made the sport choose the product over tradition. Some people love the new era, they want an NFL lite and that’s fine. It is different than it used to be, for better or for worse.

Respect you and your opinion. I completely disagree that certain rivalries are still sacred or have value to everyone, or that the larger changes haven’t effected those games. Because they don’t have value nationally, CFB has decided they don’t have value at all. And it blows, imo.
CFB used to be closer to High School football but now it's more like the NFL.

Sums it up nicely.

It's not just conference realignment but also the Portal, NIL, etc. Basically NFL Minor League.

Advertisement
ND cancelled the Miami series, or didn’t extend it, because the games were too intense. I’m exaggerating a bit, but thats my recollection. And BTW, ND leads the series 17-8-1.

UF blamed $EC expansion for dropping Miami. The additional conference game required the Gators to schedule all OOC games except @FSU at home. For financial reasons. The series was 5-3 Miami from 1980-87, 10-8 UF since 1970. It feels good to say the Gators were scared to play but Gators wanted an easy home game they would sell out. With the season expansion to 12 games in 2002 we were able to get in a pair of home-and-homes, and another coming soon.

Penn State and Pittsburgh stopped after Penn State joined the BIG 10 in 1992. They played one four-game series 97-2000, and another four-game series 2016-2019. Yes, one could say they could have kept playing but PSU wanted that easy home game, like UF did.

UT vs anyone. One reason Nebraska left for the BIG 10 was UT’s political dominance of the Big 12. OU felt the same, except they waited until the $EC opportunity came. The Sooners were rumored to bolt from the Big 12 for quite awhile before.

I agree rivalries can end up forgotten, but not so easily by the fans of those teams.

What OOC game would most Cane fans most look forward to?

Florida and Notre Dame.

Not so easily forgotten.
This is a very interesting topic. In Florida, it’s impossible to forget rivals, such as Florida because we see each other on a daily. Miami vs Florida means much more in Florida than outside the state.

For example, to the casual fan, for a long time, Miami vs ND was forgotten because we stopped playing each other and we do not ever come across each other as fans. With the Gators, not so much because we talk mad **** to each other on a daily. The hardcore Cane understands the hatred and history vs. ND.

Pitt and PSU did stop because of realignment. Just not when you said. Pitt joined big east in 1991 and PSU joined big ten in 1993. They played their remaining scheduled games off and on till 2000. Then they couldnt get scheduling right for 16 years and didnt play. Their 2016-2019 games were just a 4 game series after 16 year hiatus.
I’m well aware of that, but they stopped in 2000 after the realignment occurred. I also know they had a 4 yr joint more recently. Regardless, OOC scheduling allows for rivalries to continue, hence the current examples given. Also, over time, ppl forgot this b/c Pitt declined tremendously after the 70’s early 80’s, so it wasn’t much of rivalry after a period of time.

And the games in Stillwater feel like bedlam. The crowd is usually jacked up, wearing the same color like orange or black out on top of the field. It’s a good atmosphere.
Agreed. Have been to two Bedlam matchups in Stillwater. Highly recommend it.
Also went to a Bedlam wrestling meet @ a sold out Gallagher-Iba. Really cool experience.

This is a very interesting topic. In Florida, it’s impossible to forget rivals, such as Florida because we see each other on a daily. Miami vs Florida means much more in Florida than outside the state.

For example, to the casual fan, for a long time, Miami vs ND was forgotten because we stopped playing each other and we do not ever come across each other as fans. With the Gators, not so much because we talk mad **** to each other on a daily. The hardcore Cane understands the hatred and history vs. ND.
oddly enough, UF doesn't consider us a rival but we all know thats bull****

Advertisement

Respect you and your opinion. I completely disagree that certain rivalries are still sacred or have value to everyone, or that the larger changes haven’t effected those games. Because they don’t have value nationally, CFB has decided they don’t have value at all. And it blows, imo.put

Whooooooo, child. Lol. Slow down (in my Officer Ricky voice)

I have literally no idea why u chose to respond to me w/ this post, b/c I didn’t say anything remotely to this. If imma be honest, most know I’m a traditionalist, & I’ve been the main one who’s complained about the cause & effects of what the CFP have done to the pageantry of CFB. BUT, let’s not get it twisted; Ppl forget how we got to this point. It was b/c of the bytching & whining fans were doing when everyone claimed to be a national champion back in the day, then the BCS system got on ppl’s nerves, & they clamored for a real playoff. That’s how we got to this point.

Regardless, ur problem w/ CFB is that it is no longer like a HS setting; it is big business, & it’s never been more popular. I get ur gripe, but that still have nothing to do w/ what I posted. I said ppl in today’s climate move on very quickly, so the loss of OKSt v. OU will not be felt, b/c it is regional. Ur take on Bama v. Auburn couldn’t be more off, w/ all due respect. Bama v. Auburn is no different than Yankees v. Red Sox or UNC v. Duke regarding national relevance. And if I’m going to be honest, most of the regional rivalries that died out was b/c teams of yesteryear who were powers died out.

But hey, u can see fit urself the most popular rivalries & see if I was bull chitting on my take. See if u find OKSt v. OU on the list.

I have literally no idea why u chose to respond to me w/ this post, b/c I didn’t say anything remotely to this. If imma be honest, most know I’m a traditionalist, & I’ve been the main one who’s complained about the cause & effects of what the CFP have done to the pageantry of CFB. BUT, let’s not get it twisted; Ppl forget how we got to this point. It was b/c of the bytching & whining fans were doing when everyone claimed to be a national champion back in the day, then the BCS system got on ppl’s nerves, & they clamored for a real playoff. That’s how we got to this point.

Regardless, ur problem w/ CFB is that it is no longer like a HS setting; it is big business, & it’s never been more popular. I get ur gripe, but that still have nothing to do w/ what I posted. I said ppl in today’s climate move on very quickly, so the loss of OKSt v. OU will not be felt, b/c it is regional. Ur take on Bama v. Auburn couldn’t be more off, w/ all due respect. Bama v. Auburn is no different than Yankees v. Red Sox or UNC v. Duke regarding national relevance. And if I’m going to be honest, most of the regional rivalries that died out was b/c teams of yesteryear who were powers died out.

But hey, u can see fit urself the most popular rivalries & see if I was bull chitting on my take. See if u find OKSt v. OU on the list.

its funny w conference realignments - the SEC looking to be only regional whereas B10 is looking to be more national.

the sport itself is national but the rivalries are all regional. not a lot of people outside of florida care about FSU Miami anymore. I think youre correct. people just tend to watch the big games now (look at the ratings, the highest ranked matchups ended up dominating the tv market). you a few national teams in there (Michigan, ND) but like in week 2 - UF and UK were in the top 3 4 ratings from the weekend when no one gave 2 ***** about UK before. its bc they're ranked and so was UF. nationally, people flock to the biggest game not the rivalries. if we enter FSU week unranked, no one will give two ***** outside of florida and game day wont be close

completely agree with this. realignment has spawn matchup football instead of rivalries. OSU vs Oregon?? Do you think anyone in Columbus could find Oregon on a map? No shot.. but pinning two national brands together does get ratings. Take our craptastic game last week.

Rivalries are only relevant if the teams are good.

Advertisement
completely agree with this. realignment has spawn matchup football instead of rivalries. OSU vs Oregon?? Do you think anyone in Columbus could find Oregon on a map? No shot.. but pinning two national brands together does get ratings. Take our craptastic game last week.

Rivalries are only relevant if the teams are good.
also, lets be honest. a lot of UM-FSU game watchers that aren't in the fanbases spawned bc both teams were nationally relevant for so long and the stakes of that game meant a diff between either team winning a title or playing for one. same w UF-FSU. if it was just a rivalry (take ORegon-Oregon State) where the stakes are low, no outside of these fanbases care.

Advertisement

UNC leadership discussed ACC forming a super conference with Pac-12​

Corey Long | 4 hours ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...d-acc-forming-a-super-conference-with-pac-12/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...ed+ACC+forming+a+super+conference+with+Pac-12

North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham discussed the potential of the ACC joining with the Pac-12 to form a combined super conference, according to a report from Andrew Carter of the News & Observer.
Carter reports that the inquiry began at the end of June when word got out that USC and UCLA were leaving the Pac-12 to join the Big Ten.

With the ACC severely lagging behind the SEC and Big Ten in TV dollars, the conference is exploring every opportunity to close that gap. Guskiewicz seemed like he was on board with Cunningham’s thinking.

Guskiewicz was intrigued: “We could have a super conference both athletically and academically,” he responded. “Probably would need to be called the Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference (APAC). Maybe that’s crazy, but if it would get us a better TV deal, it may be worth considering.”

I missed your point then. My bad. I thought you were saying those games don’t matter so who cares, not that most people don’t think they matter, hence why it’s easy to move on.

I meant what I said, but yeah it doesn’t apply to your point. All good man!

Advertisement
Back