MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I was on my lunch break just now and was bored so I started working on some possible realignment scenarios. Once you start looking at the teams, I do not see how the ACC makes it out of this alive (which is well known). As well, Power 3 makes more sense than Power 4. At some point the Pac 10 and Big 12 are going to need to join up. I ran four possible scenarios. Obviously they are not perfect as I spent maybe 30 minutes, if that, on them. Teams highlighted in yellow are from G5

Scenario #1 "Power 5" - Conservative: Expansion stops due to high buyouts, ND holding things up etc.
View attachment 196222

Scenario #2 "Power 3" - Scenario I see most likely happening. Could easily sub Memphis and SMU for San Diego St and UNLV. I put in UNLV and San Diego St because they both are in attractive TV markets and play in new stadiums.
View attachment 196224

Scenario #3 "Power 4"
View attachment 196225

Scenario # 4 "Power 3 #2" - Notre Dame remains independent and schools in the same state are forced to move conferences together like Oregon and Oregon State which has been rumored as a possible hiccup.

View attachment 196228

I think Power 3 happens with ND staying Independent but with 24 teams in each

Advertisement
I think Power 3 happens with ND staying Independent but with 24 teams in each
There aren't 72 good enough programs to justify power 3 . It would be B1G, SEC, and one surviving league, but probably at sizes of 20, 20, and 14ish. If the B1G and SEC get to 24 each, there is no 3rd conference worth a ****.

The goal is not size. The goal is higher revenue share. Higher revenue share comes from removing the Vandys of the world and replacing them with the OU, USCs, and Texas'

Last edited:
There aren't 72 good enough programs to justify power 3 . It would be B1G, SEC, and one surviving league, but probably at sizes of 20, 20, and 14ish. If the B1G and SEC get to 24 each, there is no 3rd conference worth a ****.

The goal is not size. The goal is higher revenue share. Higher revenue share comes from removing the Vandys of the world and replacing them with the OU, USCs, and Texas'
they're not gonna kick out the oldest member of the SEC

Advertisement
they're not gonna kick out the oldest member of the SEC
I'm not saying they're actually going to kick out Vandy. What I am saying is that they're not going to grow for the sake of it. Size is not the goal, it's making each school more money.

Change my comment to "Vandy level programs" if it makes you happier

I'm not saying they're actually going to kick out Vandy. What I am saying is that they're not going to grow for the sake of it. Size is not the goal, it's making each school more money.

Change my comment to "Vandy level programs" if it makes you happier

I really believe B1G already has a figure in mind if they expand to 20 schools and it would be same amount per school as it is now at over $70 million each or so

Big question is, do they know if they have support by the TV companies to expand to 24??

Advertisement
If B1G expands to 24 and added more West schools which it seems likely will happen, I have read ESPN could bid on late games to make up the difference of adding more teams. Say $300 million per year..

Advertisement
I really believe B1G already has a figure in mind if they expand to 20 schools and it would be same amount per school as it is now at over $70 million each or so

Big question is, do they know if they have support by the TV companies to expand to 24??
Don't believe the conferences are acting in a vacuum ... conference sizes are ... I believe ... part and parcel a major part of the 'conference realignment' with the goal of 2 super conferences for optimal high quality game programming and broadcasting.

Yes the new deal has escalator clauses for expansion, the interesting part is there are different numbers for different teams. So someone out there knows how much more money each potential expansion candidate is worth to the deal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back