Coney: “Miami is Recruiting Me the Hardest”

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2015 Palm Beach Gardens (Fla.) linebacker Tevon Coney was a name that wasn’t very popular on the recruiting radar prior to the spring. Now that schools have caught a glimpse of his highlights, he’s one of the most sought after recruits in the nation.

“It’s very impressive and I’m excited about it and I’m thankful. I’m just enjoying the recruiting right now and just continue to stay focus and stay humble and hope for plenty more to come.”

Coney is currently working out with the track team during the spring and is focusing mainly on getting faster and stronger.

“As of right now I’m just working out doing track. I’m running the 100 and 200 and as of right now I’m just putting on size and getting faster.”

When asked to describe what type of linebacker he is, the 6’3 220 pound linebacker said, “I play aggressive. I see myself running sideline to sideline and shedding blocks. I’ll get back in pass coverage if I have to, but I like to hit a lot that’s my main thing.”

The Palm Beach Gardens product is being tracked by over a dozen schools, but is keeping a level head to the recruiting process.

“No schools are sticking out right now, my recruitment is open right now and I’m just enjoying it. I’m probably gonna take a couple visits, but as of right now everything is open.”

While Coney refused to name any leaders, he did admit one school is recruiting him the hardest.

“Miami is recruiting me the hardest. I like Miami, it’s a great academic school. It’s a private school, which means the class size is low, so you can learn more things individually. As a school they have a great coaching staff and they’re trying to rebuild it and keep a couple guys down from Florida to try and bring a national championship back down south. Miami is a great school football wise and academic wise, it’s just one of those schools you can’t go wrong.”

One thing that will be key to Coney’s stance on Miami this year is their defensive performance and his evaluation of the use of their linebackers.

“As of right now, I can see myself playing at Miami. This year I’m going to watch their defense and do I see myself fit in there and what type of linebacker’s they use in certain positions.”

The other Florida school battling for the speedy linebacker is the Florida Gators, as they have been a long-time favorite for him.

“Florida, that’s a school I’ve watched play since I was little. I always wanted an offer from them and now that I got it I’m taking a good look at them and talking with Joker Phillips and the defensive coordinator. I’m definitely gonna go down there and take a visit, check out campus again and talk to all the coaches. It was a great offer and I’ll definitely be taking a look at Florida.”

Other schools including Ohio State and Clemson are also in the mix for visits, but nothing has been set in stone yet for the stud prospect.

Engineering is going to be very key in Coney’s decision, as it is what he wants to major in.

“The coaching staff has to show me a lot of love, I have to feel like they’re being honest with me and not telling me lies. Really, I want the coaches to make me feel home when I come there and talk to me and even when I commit to a school, just stay up on me. The other part is they have to have a great engineering program; I want to be able to have a chance to do something with that degree.”

While a final decision date has not been hammered out, he is looking to make it sometime during his senior year.

Stats: 172 tackles, 6 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1892104/tevon-coney

*Has visited Miami twice and Florida once and looks to visit UF again soon

Advertisement
Goon of the highest order. I always heard it was just a matter of time before he was GATA. Hope I was misinformed.

Goon of the highest order. I always heard it was just a matter of time before he was GATA. Hope I was misinformed.

I like him and the Ferrell kid out of Ga . I'd be thrilled with both of them.

“It’s very impressive and I’m excited about it and I’m thankful. I’m just enjoying the recruiting right now and just continue to stay focus and stay humble and hope for plenty more to come.”

Not something we've been hearing lately. Really hope the staff can bring him in.

“The coaching staff has to show me a lot of love, I have to feel like they’re being honest with me and not telling me lies. Really, I want the coaches to make me feel home when I come there and talk to me and even when I commit to a school, just stay up on me.

This is something that it seems like our staff does well.

Keep in contact with recruits even if they are committed, talk to them as people (and not just football players) and give off a family-feel.

Advertisement
UF bound. Next

32.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love that he's going to be an engineering. I can tell you one thing, I'm going to respect the **** outta him no matter where he goes.

UF bound. Next

Another 4-8 season or even 5-7 or 6-6 and he might be anywhere but UF bound.
would love to see the Gayturds crash and burn again this season. Keep Muschamp there as long as possible lol.
any of those records and Muschamp wont be the coach in 2015

I only see 6 wins tops on that schedule next year:

Idaho (lolz)
Eastern Michigan
Kentucky
Vandy (iffy)
USCe (still a toss up)
Eastern Kentucky (wow)

However, looking at your offensive roster.....you guys will drop a couple of those and lose to everyone else.

Advertisement
UF bound. Next

would love to see the Gayturds crash and burn again this season. Keep Muschamp there as long as possible lol.
any of those records and Muschamp wont be the coach in 2015

I only see 6 wins tops on that schedule next year:

Idaho (lolz)
Eastern Michigan
Kentucky
Vandy (iffy)
USCe (still a toss up)
Eastern Kentucky (wow)

However, looking at your offensive roster.....you guys will drop a couple of those and lose to everyone else.

so 4-8 again? Muschamp wont last the season. Miami should continue to recruit all UF commits and targets heard.

UF bound. Next

Not to be for-Gaytors but I'd be surprised if they have less than 7 wins this year. Pretty talented team still.

Don't they have some insanely difficult schedule this coming season?

Bama, UT, LSU, Missouri, UGA, Vandy, USCe, and FSU all in a row......... well EKU in between USCe and FSU but lets be real that can be 8 of the last 9 lost and that UK game isn't a gimme either

Bama, UT, LSU, Missouri, UGA, Vandy, USCe, and FSU all in a row......... well EKU in between USCe and FSU but lets be real that can be 8 of the last 9 lost and that UK game isn't a gimme either

Bama - L
UT - Toss up
LSU - L
Mizz - L
UGA- Toss up
Vandy - W
USCe - L
FSU -L

Advertisement
Back