Columbus vs Northwestern Post Game Analysis

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
The Explorers looked like they were going to win a tight one until Miami Northwestern broke their hearts with a minute left. The bulls won 10 to 7.

-Notes

-Artie Burns is without a doubt in my mind the most complete defensive player I have seen this year behind Matthew Thomas. The kid has it all: Size, Strength, Speed and Smarts. Burns was locked off on Jesus Wilson and Wilson only had three catches the entire night and no TD's. Burns also has a bad *** Demeanor: talks trash and plays dirty, something I know a lot of Miami fans want to see. As far as his position. Burns has safety like Size, but I truly believe he is a corner and will be one of the top corners at Miami if he played that there. I like him at safety a lot as well, but this kid it too good to not allow him to lock off on someone.

-I was originally a big fan of JoJo Robinson, but I have come to realize that he is very overrated. He has a small size at 5'11 and almost went without a catch the entire night. I think if Miami wants him they can get him, but I don't think Miami sees anything in him.

-Chestnut didn't have a good game as the run game was shut down. He did break two huge runs that helped put Columbus in place to score but had no touchdowns.

-Calvin Brewton had a solid game as he helped hold the Northwestern offense most of the game. Brewton contributed to three interceptions that were thrown by Miami Northwestern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Funny how Jojo has this much hype and then anyone who actually sees him play is wondering where the **** it comes from. Typical NW hype, decent player but at any other school wouldnt even be on anyones radar.

Thought this was the year Columbus would beat NW, they arent well coached and lack playmakers. Columbus still cant get over that hump I guess, lets see come playoff time.

I like Artie at corner also, good to hear he held his own against jesus

bush and burns both starting with tracy howard, that would be nice and jamal carter in the mix

Advertisement
skyman if NW is not well coached and lack playmakers what does that say about Columbus ?? Not knocking their staff just asking what you think about Columbus

Advertisement
I can honestly say being a big explorer fan. Merritt play call has been under question for a while.

Advertisement
Lulz who would be a better choice for head coach at CCHS than Merritt? Before Merritt, CCHS used to struggle to win district championships. In '98 they got blown out by southwest, and went 5-5 LMAO. Don't say that talent started coming in with Merritt, or that they didn't have decent coaches.

Most people don't realize the huge disadvantages that CCHS has at the offensive/defensive lines. Other than 2008, when have they ever had a talented defensive line? Same for the O-line in 2007. That 2008 defense held Lamar Miller to 29yds on 19 carries. He rushed for over 100 against every other team that he played against. The avg size of their O-line is usually 5-10 230lbs, and most of them can't even bench 2 plates for more than a few reps. Yeah, they have a few good skill players, but they're at a huge disadvantage when they're going against Central/NW's line's.

Also, the administration isn't very friendly when considering transfers. They don't allow senior transfers. They didn't admit Lamarcus Joyner because the AD at SW sent a statement to CCHS claiming disciplinary issues and poor study habits. He had over 3.0 at STA lol. Must be nice when you can admit anyone and get players from OOS.

Last edited:
Lulz who would be a better choice for head coach at CCHS than Merritt? Before Merritt, CCHS used to struggle to win district championships. In '98 they got blown out by southwest, and went 5-5 LMAO. Don't say that talent started coming in with Merritt, or that they didn't have decent coaches.

Most people don't realize the huge disadvantages that CCHS has at the offensive/defensive lines. Other than 2008, when have they ever had a talented defensive line? Same for the O-line in 2007. That 2008 defense held Lamar Miller to 29yds on 19 carries. He rushed for over 100 against every other team that he played against. The avg size of their O-line is usually 5-10 230lbs, and most of them can't even bench 2 plates for more than a few reps. Yeah, they have a few good skill players, but they're at a huge disadvantage when they're going against Central/NW's line's.

Also, the administration isn't very friendly when considering transfers. They don't allow senior transfers. They didn't admit Lamarcus Joyner because the AD at SW sent a statement to CCHS claiming disciplinary issues and poor study habits. He had over 3.0 at STA lol. Must be nice when you can admit anyone and get players from OOS.

I will give you that he has brought up the program from what it was, but I'm not the only one who says this. Also Columbus' D-Line had two All dade last year in Javier Pagliery and Joseph Quintanna. Also they had a tremendous O-line including four out of the five of them playing college ball.

He is a great head coach. But his playcall is questionable. He runs wr screens with Wide receivers excluding Jesus Wilson. Also he runs the ball in situations that dont make sense. The other night he ran with 3rd and ten. Also ran a fullback run on third and six. I think he has great coaching ability but sometimes i scratch my head

I will give you that he has brought up the program from what it was, but I'm not the only one who says this. Also Columbus' D-Line had two All dade last year in Javier Pagliery and Joseph Quintanna. Also they had a tremendous O-line including four out of the five of them playing college ball.

He is a great head coach. But his playcall is questionable. He runs wr screens with Wide receivers excluding Jesus Wilson. Also he runs the ball in situations that dont make sense. The other night he ran with 3rd and ten. Also ran a fullback run on third and six. I think he has great coaching ability but sometimes i scratch my head

How many of those lineman are playing D-1 football? How many of those all-dade kids were recruited by D-1 schools? They're good hs players, but they look average when they're playing against defenses that have athletic D-1 talent. You saw how Central looked when they played against teams that are well coached and that have decent d-1 talent (Grayson). Quintanna was alright, but he wasn't near as good as Rabasa or Cesar Rodriguez.

That being said, I do agree that his play-calling can be questionable. He definitely has and still underuses Wilson. Their problem seems to be that they stay too structured with their play-calling. Central played them in cover 0 for maybe 40% of the game, but they rarely tried to get the ball to Wilson on a 9 or slant smh.

Advertisement
I hope we have the luxury to play Burns at CB, would have been nice to see Bush at CB as well, but Bush has been a much better S than I was expecting so I'm not upset with him at S anymore.

Lol at Columbus having issues with transfers. Btw, since when don't they allow seniors to transfer in? Sure seem to have a senior transfer in at need positions every year, couple years ago it was QB, 5-6 years ago it was the RB from Palmetto.....

I actually don't remember the last senior transfer. What always happens is kids will transfer in during the 2nd semester of their junior year

Lol at Columbus having issues with transfers. Btw, since when don't they allow seniors to transfer in? Sure seem to have a senior transfer in at need positions every year, couple years ago it was QB, 5-6 years ago it was the RB from Palmetto.....

QB Dan Parker, and RB John Mosure. They both transferred during the spring of their junior year.

Advertisement
Back