Coley Offensive Coordinator Grade Thread

CaneSB

Freshman
There have been many regimes at Miami in the recent past where I have said to myself "That is really ******* stupid!" Since Golden has taken over, I have said he could have done that better, not sure I agree, time will tell....but the one thing I have never said about ANY decisions Golden has made "That is really ******* stupid!" We all now know that Golden is a prepared and thoughtful guy with a lot of resources to draw upon and experiences as a HC. We all questioned Fisch's hire and that worked out pretty well in the long run. Anyone who sits here and judges Coley after 1 game against FAU with a full ACC schedule ahead and the Gators coming to town the following week is ******* idiot.

We have a tremendous amount of experience and talent on offense. Do you really think we saw any of our playbook? We put up 500 yards mostly through three quarters and although there were a few questionable calls, take away a few drops and it is possibly 21 nothing with 3 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. All of which had nothing to do with Coley and his play calling or any other coaching decisions.

Lets save the *****ing and moaning about who gets the ball on a bubble screen for when it really matters.

My overarching point is you learned nothing about Coley as an OC last week and you will learn everything you need to know about him this coming weekend.

So lets save the criticism until it really matter because anything else is "really ******* stupid!"

2013 Grade after FAU = N/A

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need to get 5-6 games in before throwing out some mid term reports!! Kinda like preseason and 1st week polls. They are completely meaningless.

he was defiantly working on some areas like quick passes to slow down UFs pass rush, and play action..

You will see some so called long hand offs this week...that is why it was so important for Wrs to get in the running game..that lil 63 yard scant by Herb just added a wrinkle to UFs game plan on shutting down Duke....

I gave it a b-

I think we got the base level offense with a few wrinkles here and there. I dunno this weekend will be extraordinarily different from what we saw last week. Different formations definitely. The question is can we sustain their four man rush and effectively run/pass with that front forcing them to have to change their defense and drop more in the box. If we can make that happen, I love our chances on offense. Either way, its waaaaay too early to have any type of notion of what Coley will bring to the table. We did run a whole lot of WR Screens and Florida will definitely be keying on that. I wonder if we were setting them up for some pump and goes since they like to run man and are pretty aggressive from the CB position. They defense is good but they might also be over confident and that really could bode well for us and we take advantage of them being overzealous.

Advertisement
Why you will learn everything about Coley this coming weekend against UF?

1. Most Talented Offense for Hurricanes in many year.
2. Most experienced Offense for Hurricanes in many years.
3. Coley has coached against UF's defense many times.
4. No meaningful injuries
5. 2nd game of season

He has the talent and experience as players and the experience has a coach. Healthy group with a game in the pocket to work out the kinks.

This game will tell us everything we need to know about Coley as a strategist and play caller.

One thing I did notice is he was definitely setting up UF with numerous looks but don't think that the UF staff is amateurs or doesn't know Coley as well.

I expect a ton of 1 back sets with a variation of TE and WR groupings and a fast/no-huddle tempo.

I think we got the base level offense with a few wrinkles here and there. I dunno this weekend will be extraordinarily different from what we saw last week. Different formations definitely. The question is can we sustain their four man rush and effectively run/pass with that front forcing them to have to change their defense and drop more in the box. If we can make that happen, I love our chances on offense. Either way, its waaaaay too early to have any type of notion of what Coley will bring to the table. We did run a whole lot of WR Screens and Florida will definitely be keying on that. I wonder if we were setting them up for some pump and goes since they like to run man and are pretty aggressive from the CB position. They defense is good but they might also be over confident and that really could bode well for us and we take advantage of them being overzealous.

If we saw the most complex route combinations we'll see, we're completely screwed. I refuse to believe that's all we have in the ****nal.

If we saw the most complex route combinations we'll see, we're completely screwed. I refuse to believe that's all we have in the ****nal.

Exactly the reason why you can't judge Coley on that game. I would be scared if this was the Shannon/Coker regime but like i stated, I have never seen Golden do anything that is just plain stupid. There ain't NO way he hired an idiot for an OC with the talent we have this year to work with.

Advertisement
Why are we even having this discussion? It was Coley's FIRST game calling plays in years. His FIRST game as OC here at UM. And it was a warm up game for a BIG opponent, against, essentially a glorified scrimmage. Since WHEN would a team show their better plays from the playbook?

While I DONT expect Coley to be TOO sophisitcated this year, being as its a new system and new team for him, I expect MUCH more than we saw against FAU. I mean that is a no brainer. Its also silly to try to analyze anything this early. We need a few games to really get a feel for his playcalling and how he's fitting in.

James Coley = Josephy Yearby so he gets an A for that.

Having a recruiter as a OC is nice, but having an OC that is fluent in x's and o's is even nicer.

Clearly, but sometimes you can get an OC that gets TOO complicated and outsmarts himself and the team. See Whipple. A good OC knows how far and how much he can expect his players to understand and execute.

He gave UF almost nothing to work with, save a few cute plays like the reverse and the flea flicker to open.

Gonna get negged, but the first few series looked a whole **** of a lot like FSU with the bubble screens. I like that Coley is giving them nothing to really prepare for and that we will have a slight edge in the surprise department.

I think running about a dozen plays over and over again doesn't justify a grade though.

Advertisement
coley get's a C..

I just pray that was done to throw Florida's DC off his game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree with your main point, and I agree that we'll know more about Coley after this weekend, but we will learn even more about him as we go through the season. He'll make mistakes, and it'll be interesting to see what changes/adjustments he makes between uf and fsu.

Why you will learn everything about Coley this coming weekend against UF?

1. Most Talented Offense for Hurricanes in many year.
2. Most experienced Offense for Hurricanes in many years.
3. Coley has coached against UF's defense many times.
4. No meaningful injuries
5. 2nd game of season

He has the talent and experience as players and the experience has a coach. Healthy group with a game in the pocket to work out the kinks.

This game will tell us everything we need to know about Coley as a strategist and play caller.

One thing I did notice is he was definitely setting up UF with numerous looks but don't think that the UF staff is amateurs or doesn't know Coley as well.

I expect a ton of 1 back sets with a variation of TE and WR groupings and a fast/no-huddle tempo.

I hope vs. UF we see the TE's getting more involved. Morris can throw it 65-70 yards, but with that UF line/pass rush, and uncertainty around how the OL is going to perform, he likely isn't going to have time to take those deep drops. Having a couple big sure handed TE's he can target or check down to for 10-15 yards at a time to keep the sticks moving consistently will do more to win the game than a couple of bombs will IMO. And TE's commanding attention will only help the WR's on the outside.

Off the top of my head I don't recall any completions to WR's over the middle, the rare pass that wasn't a quick out seemed to be towards the sideline. There should have been two to Coley, and there were two long incompletions. But other than that I think that was about it. And not to be too TE centric, but working the middle of the field with the WR's will open up the TE's underneath.

Because Coley doesn't really have a playcalling history to review, it's hard to know if we didn't see that vs. FAU due to secrecy for UF, or it just doesn't feature in his scheme. Hopefully it's the former.

Advertisement
Back