Coach L - Matt Cross (old news) - BOY WAS I DEAD WRONG

Coach L hasn’t done a great job here honestly. The recruiting was decent for Miami basketball but he couldn’t produce. His best season was his first and that’s with players he didn’t recruit. They won the ACC but couldn’t get past the sweet 16. That was the most exciting year for Canes hoops. Still remember the players slapping the court after taking the lead against Duke at home. That’s really the only dominant team he has coached. For the most part they have under performed.
this is one of the wildest posts i've ever seen on canesinsight lmao. say what you will about the last few seasons but there's literally no historical basis for the argument that L has done anything but a great job at miami. like, none whatsoever. are we talking about the same basketball program? because i'm talking about the one that won 5 tournament games and one conference title in the 25 years before L got here.

Advertisement
More of the same. Two slashers and a point. Not a 3 or 4, I've given up that this staff can recruit a 5.
We should be loaded in the backcourt, but it is a lot of the same type of player - slashing combo guards who are mediocre shooters. The roster needs some diversity. Hopefully Joseph is a true point as advertised because we haven't had one since Angel Rodriguez.

And don't even get me started on the state of the frontcourt for next season. Good grief.

I’m not Mr fire everyone , I’m actually pretty fair and realistic but it’s time. It’s time to end this mess. They look undisciplined and lost at times. The offense has looked like rec ball for years now and the d has fallen off. This years three point defense is as bad as I’ve seen. Free throw shooting is awful. It’s just bad basketball , give the ball to wong and get out of the way. It was lykes before that.​
Im a huge bball fan but this year I’ve watched the fewest Miami b ball games of the last fifteen years. I don’t even watch condensed games , it’s just horrible to watch. Painful at times , so I won’t waste the few free minutes I have watching trash.​
pass the ball around the perimeter, called up a pick, then play pick and roll as clock is winding down, if the other team goes zone we basically chuck from three with the worst 3 point shooting team in the ACC : Good stuff

My point? As bad as the program is right now, it will be every bit as bad next year. Only thing masking 1k fans and 20 students for a home game is Covid right now. You can get a solid and successful mid-major coach for much less. You negotiate Jim's buyout. You cannot afford to keep him.
Alabama has seen to found a diamond in the rough

Advertisement
We should be loaded in the backcourt, but it is a lot of the same type of player - slashing combo guards who are mediocre shooters. The roster needs some diversity. Hopefully Joseph is a true point as advertised because we haven't had one since Angel Rodriguez.

And don't even get me started on the state of the frontcourt for next season. Good grief.
well we got Rodney Miller coming back, the Mccloud of basketball : what is striking is that FSU has quite a few kids from South Florida and are really good :

Y
this is one of the wildest posts i've ever seen on canesinsight lmao. say what you will about the last few seasons but there's literally no historical basis for the argument that L has done anything but a great job at miami. like, none whatsoever. are we talking about the same basketball program? because i'm talking about the one that won 5 tournament games and one conference title in the 25 years before L got here.

wait there is no way matt cross should have been kicked off without knowing what he ddi? what if it was really bad?
That’s what I’m wondering. If it was coaching differences or **** like that...he asks for a transfer, not this ****.

That’s what I’m wondering. If it was coaching differences or **** like that...he asks for a transfer, not this ****.
Hate to go "there", but when you are pretty much the only white kid on a team that has had a bit of drama over wearing BLM T-Shirts and some related socio-political debates with some in public over related stuff, makes one possibly wonder... That would surely be a topic Coach L and team would keep QT... and I might even get banned here for this line of thought. 2 months ago:

1612400815752.png

Just sayin; if y'all looking for reasons for the Cross dismissal that might be unsuitable for "reveal"; here could be a possibility. But I know ZERO beyond what I read here; and sorry if this comment offends any one... far from my intention.

Advertisement
Hate to go "there", but when you are pretty much the only white kid on a team that has had a bit of drama over wearing BLM T-Shirts and some related socio-political debates with some in public over related stuff, makes one possibly wonder... That would surely be a topic Coach L and team would keep QT... and I might even get banned here for this line of thought. 2 months ago:

View attachment 142906

Just sayin; if y'all looking for reasons for the Cross dismissal that might be unsuitable for "reveal"; here could be a possibility. But I know ZERO beyond what I read here; and sorry if this comment offends any one... far from my intention.

Matt Cross was NOT dismissed for any BLM or social insensitivity issue. Had more to do with he not seeing eye to eye with Coach L and staff.

.Had more to do with he not seeing eye to eye with Coach L and staff.
The above makes zero sense and to me is even "silly". I was just speculating - for additional comment which I got - on an example, consistent with current events, of something that might not be "spoken of". Like many things in life and the news, I surely have NO CLUE.

Matt Cross was NOT dismissed for any BLM or social insensitivity issue. Had more to do with he not seeing eye to eye with Coach L and staff.

Just to be clear, you have no idea why Cross was dismissed.

It is true that the dismissal was not for BLM or that specific issue.

It is also true that the locker room is 100% with/behind Coach L. Which says a lot because Cross was a very talented guy on the basketball court and all the players very badly want to win.

Advertisement
lol no ****. God some of you guys are so gullible.
I'm the last person anyone would associate with being gullible or credulous. I just took the liberty of clarifying this matter before the thread took a turn in that direction. I'd hate for the morons to come out of the woodwork to spew hate

GO CANES!

Just to be clear, you have no idea why Cross was dismissed.

It is true that the dismissal was not for BLM or that specific issue.

It is also true that the locker room is 100% with/behind Coach L. Which says a lot because Cross was a very talented guy on the basketball court and all the players very badly want to win.
Just to be clear, this is all second hand information. Not pretending to be an insider by any stretch of the imagination. Just sharing some comments that were made to me. Again, his dismissal was pertaining to some immaturity issues and being a little bit of a hot head. ✌️

Last edited:
I'm the last person anyone would associate with being gullible or credulous. I just took the liberty of clarifying this matter before the thread took a turn in that direction. I'd hate for the morons to come out of the woodwork to spew hate

GO CANES!
Yea I didn't mean you

Advertisement
Still doesn’t make much sense, but glad to hear it wasn’t that. In the new paradigm for social discourse in our country, you can’t really speak too freely about certain concerns or problems, or simply make observations, because the “R” word gets thrown at ya. And I don’t mean “R”egret, although I have some.
I understand it doesn’t rise to the level of what Rosa Parks and others faced, but being a white athlete on a team that is mostly not, presents some challenges that didn’t exist until recently. For example, when most of the team kneels, and for whatever personal reasons or beliefs some don’t join in and Team Unity can be affected. There was some drama at the “U” fairly recently, and Lykes and others were involved. I wish we could amiably and peacefully discuss these issues, but I’ve probably said way too much already. Peace Out.

Nobody is going to get the full story with all the details - not even Matt’s friends and family (because people tell a version of the story most favorable to them) - but the really important thing is that the remaining locker room is unified behind Coach L. That wouldn’t be the case if Coach L was being unreasonable in kicking him off the team, because everyone knows that Cross is a very skilled basketball player and they all want to win.

Still doesn’t make much sense, but glad to hear it wasn’t that. In the new paradigm for social discourse in our country, you can’t really speak too freely about certain concerns or problems, or simply make observations, because the “R” word gets thrown at ya. And I don’t mean “R”egret, although I have some.
I understand it doesn’t rise to the level of what Rosa Parks and others faced, but being a white athlete on a team that is mostly not, presents some challenges that didn’t exist until recently. For example, when most of the team kneels, and for whatever personal reasons or beliefs some don’t join in and Team Unity can be affected. There was some drama at the “U” fairly recently, and Lykes and others were involved. I wish we could amiably and peacefully discuss these issues, but I’ve probably said way too much already. Peace Out.

Well, when your brothers feel that they can't count on you, then that's a problem. I'm sorry, but when your brothers that you lift with, you fight with, you work with every day are standing up for the right to exist in this nation, and you are either passive towards it or openly hostile, then that's a huge issue.

Is Matt Cross that way? Who knows, but I find it weird when a talented guy is booted from a team and the team seems to play harder, tougher and with more cohesion than what they did before he left. Maybe Cross was a bad fit, and that's why the program had to move on. Do I like Matt's game? **** yes, he's a guy with a bright future but no one is bigger than the program.

Nobody is going to get the full story with all the details - not even Matt’s friends and family (because people tell a version of the story most favorable to them) - but the really important thing is that the remaining locker room is unified behind Coach L. That wouldn’t be the case if Coach L was being unreasonable in kicking him off the team, because everyone knows that Cross is a very skilled basketball player and they all want to win.

Last I heard, he out danced Coach L after that loss.... I blame Manny for introducing dance routines after losses.

Advertisement
Back