Coach L - Matt Cross (old news) - BOY WAS I DEAD WRONG

Yes, let's do it the Larranaga way. Since winning the ACC tournament, we are 5-7 the past 7 seasons not making it past round 2. We haven't won an NCAA tournament game in 5 years. Three consecutive losing seasons assured and we are on our way to our worst record since the 2006-2007 season. The guy sold his soul to bring in Lonnie Walker and got embarrassed by UNC in the ACC tournament and then choked against Loyola-Chicago. Yes, they were a Final Four team but it is how we lost. Typical Larranaga.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes, let's do it the Larranaga way. Since winning the ACC tournament, we are 5-7 the past 7 seasons not making it past round 2. We haven't won an NCAA tournament game in 5 years. Three consecutive losing seasons assured and we are on our way to our worst record since the 2006-2007 season. The guy sold his soul to bring in Lonnie Walker and got embarrassed by UNC in the ACC tournament and then choked against Loyola-Chicago. Yes, they were a Final Four team but it is how we lost. Typical Larranaga.
The slurpers on this board keep excusing that loss due to 1. Bruce Brown sitting out with an injury and 2. The flukiness of the tourney

While the tourney is indeed fluky, that team, which was L's most talented ever (2 NBA players, a borderline NBA player in Dewan Hernandez, Lykes, Newton), and we completely choked that game away. Turnovers, missed shots, poor 3 point defense on a couple of late possessions. That team in general was the first season where we didn't appear well coached. That trend has only gotten worse.

The slurpers on this board keep excusing that loss due to 1. Bruce Brown sitting out with an injury and 2. The flukiness of the tourney

While the tourney is indeed fluky, that team, which was L's most talented ever (2 NBA players, a borderline NBA player in Dewan Hernandez, Lykes, Newton), and we completely choked that game away. Turnovers, missed shots, poor 3 point defense on a couple of late possessions. That team in general was the first season where we didn't appear well coached. That trend has only gotten worse.
Don’t forget **** free throw shooting down the stretch! Was a staple that season and every season since then. We would shoot free throws well until the 4th quarter than boom would miss crucial ft’s in late game situations. Amp Lawrence was the king of it

I'd be hard-pressed to fire him because there's three years left on his deal. I believe it's about 2 million per year. If it was based on pure results he would be done this season.

200.gif

Advertisement
I'd be hard-pressed to fire him because there's three years left on his deal. I believe it's about 2 million per year. If it was based on pure results he would be done this season.
Yes, because recruiting is going really well. Larranaga is filling his roster with kids who can shoot 3s. The 4 and 5 positions look to be some of the best in the ACC. LoL.

What's your point?
My point? As bad as the program is right now, it will be every bit as bad next year. Only thing masking 1k fans and 20 students for a home game is Covid right now. You can get a solid and successful mid-major coach for much less. You negotiate Jim's buyout. You cannot afford to keep him.

Yes, because recruiting is going really well. Larranaga is filling his roster with kids who can shoot 3s. The 4 and 5 positions look to be some of the best in the ACC. LoL.
Until they get hurt during practice. Either they are getting injured because of the way we practice or how they are being conditioned or a combination of both.

Advertisement
My point? As bad as the program is right now, it will be every bit as bad next year. Only thing masking 1k fans and 20 students for a home game is Covid right now. You can get a solid and successful mid-major coach for much less. You negotiate Jim's buyout. You cannot afford to keep him.
I am with you, but how are you so sure that the buyout isn’t the remaining sum of his contract?

If we can’t afford to buy him out, we are in a really bad spot. This train went off the tracks years ago and we have no way to get it back on. We will rest at the bottom of the ACC until he is gone. 🤦‍♂️

I am with you, but how are you so sure that the buyout isn’t the remaining sum of his contract?
Well, you fire James as well. WTF was the point of extending a 68-year head coach? Where was he going and who was going to hire him away? You figure the $6 million is lost. You can hire a **** good mid-major north of $1 million. Or we can stay with Larranaga and impact that next 5 years. Who wants to play for a dead man walking on a conference bottom feeder?

Advertisement
Well, you fire James as well. WTF was the point of extending a 68-year head coach? Where was he going and who was going to hire him away? You figure the $6 million is lost. You can hire a **** good mid-major north of $1 million. Or we can stay with Larranaga and impact that next 5 years. Who wants to play for a dead man walking on a conference bottom feeder?

You’re responding to an epic porst, tread lightly.

Politely tell him it's time to go. Of course, thank him for what he's meant to the program and his service, generously buy out what remains of his contract and let the program step into the future. It's obviously over. Any athletic director or administrator who doesn't see it needs to go as well. Sorry, great guy and really hate to see it end like this.

I would be 100% in favor of Cross coming back.....either cause 1) Larranaga is leaving or 2) he has a change of heart and wants to give it another try and both coach/player relax and humble themselves a bit and act like human beings. We need all the help we can get.

Advertisement
Y’all think that a players coach with a legendary reputation who is also known as one of the most level headed coaches in major basketball just lost his temper and threw a kid off the team for no reason?

C’mon.

I know this is a message board... but this is in the outer space of ridiculousness.

Since literally nobody here actually knows the details of what happened - and you never will because Coach L doesn’t air dirty laundry in public - the level of false and ridiculous assumptions being posted here are surprising for even a 💩 message board.

Then again, sports message boards are the best place to go to study the Dunning Kruger effect.

Wonder if the Cross decision is irrevocable -- on either part? Sounds like he's still on campus.

Just wondering and somewhat hypothetically thinking, I read that Matt Cross is also considering staying at Miami to potentially play football. I don't know how real that is but he did play football before an injury during his 9th grade year caused him to focus primarily on basketball.
If Miami makes a coaching change, would you be ok with Matt coming back to the program under the new coaching staff.
Lol at the football thing. Come on.

.... he just signed a top 20 recruiting class?

Advertisement
Back