children inflammatory syndrome

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
If fewer than half of kids experiencing this syndrome have tested positive for Covid, how can this be linked to Covid?

145 children in NYC have multi-system inflammatory syndrome
11:36 am ET — New York City health officials confirmed 145 cases of what was previously referred to as pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome (PIMS), Mayor Bill de Blasio said during his daily news briefing.
Out of 145 patients, 67 tested positive for Covid-19 or have the antibodies against the virus.
De Blasio said that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention gave the rare and potentially fatal illness an official definition, which is multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C).

kgranger17

Data Driven
Sounds like something that has been around, but due to Covid, doctors are just now realizing it.

I read an article a while back that shows just how fugged up out healthcare system is when it comes to sharing data. IBM's Watson super computer found that 80% of CANCER deaths could have been avoided if doctors were able to search and find a preexisting journal document. This number sounds inflated, but it may or may not be. Considering heath care is private in America, there is an interest to not share this information and that is scary.

Edit: I was bamboozled. Don't believe everything you read, kids.

Last edited:

423Hurricane

High Profile Wannabe
Got it be some underlying issue causing this syndrome. Also, I’d like to see a breakdown of the ages of the kids affected.

Hoyacane1620

Recruit
This presents with similar symptoms as a couple of other childhood viruses. It isn't children with underlying conditions, necessarily. In fact, I believe most of them were healthy and had shown no actual symptoms of COVID. They believe it's an over-reaction of the immune system to having been exposed to COVID at some point. The exposure could have been weeks ago.

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
This presents with similar symptoms as a couple of other childhood viruses. It isn't children with underlying conditions, necessarily. In fact, I believe most of them were healthy and had shown no actual symptoms of COVID. They believe it's an over-reaction of the immune system to having been exposed to COVID at some point. The exposure could have been weeks ago.
But fewer than half had Covid.

TheEye

Cane Grad!
When someone dies in a car accident, and was Covid-19+, it's a Covid death.

When someone dies hours before a hurricane from falling off a ladder putting up shudders, it's a hurricane death.

JD08

Non-attorney spokesperson
Sounds like something that has been around, but due to Covid, doctors are just now realizing it.

I read an article a while back that shows just how fugged up out healthcare system is when it comes to sharing data. IBM's Watson super computer found that 80% of CANCER deaths could have been avoided if doctors were able to search and find a preexisting journal document. This number sounds inflated, but it may or may not be. Considering heath care is private in America, there is an interest to not share this information and that is scary.
EHR data accessibility was one of the goals of the ACA. They gave huge grants to hospitals for the purpose of installing all encompassing systems. The interconnectivity between them is still not there, nor is an effective use of data analysis for the majority of facilities.

For_The_U

All ACC
I'm with you, @tcgrad1014 , I think it is utterly irresponsible to be pushing the narrative that COVID causes this right now. We just don't know. I am one of the rare people you'll ever meet who had Kawasaki Syndrome (a condition that presents very similarly). I was one of the first to be diagnosed with it in our entire area, actually. Had to be transported to two different hospitals, no one could figure out what it was, but as luck would have it there happened to be a doctor at the second hospital who had just come back from attending a seminar on Kawasakis in England. He was the one who diagnosed me and it seemingly was brand new to everyone else. I was 5yrs old and was sick as sh-t. Spent about two weeks hospitalized and had to go every year for a heart ultrasound until I was about 11. Anyways, they ultimately determined I got it from a type of carpet cleaner my mother had used. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

So, then, I would assume it is just as possible that kids are developing this new Kawasaki-esque condition from massive exposure to all the various sanitizer products being used obsessively everywhere in our country over the last two months instead of it being related to COVID itself, right? In fact, based on my personal experience, that makes a lot of sense to me. Or perhaps not. But that's the point; we simply don't know right now. Yet, read the headlines popping up everywhere. "New life-threatening condition for young children linked to COVID". If it was linked to COVID, wouldn't 100% of the kids with this symptom either have COVID or have COVID antibodies? Yet they don't.

Last edited:

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
I'm with you, @tcgrad1014 , I think it is utterly irresponsible to be pushing the narrative that COVID causes this right now. We just don't know. I am one of the rare people you'll ever meet who had Kawasaki Syndrome (a condition that presents very similarly). I was one of the first to be diagnosed with it in our entire area, actually. Had to be transported to two different hospitals, no one could figure out what it was, but as luck would have it there happened to be a doctor at the second hospital who had just come back from attending a seminar on Kawasakis in England. He was the one who diagnosed me and it seemingly was brand new to everyone else. I was 5yrs old and was sick as sh-t. Spent about two weeks hospitalized and had to go every year for a heart ultrasound until I was about 11. Anyways, they ultimately determined I got it from a type of carpet cleaner my mother had used. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

So, then, I would assume it is just as possible that kids are developing this new Kawasaki-esque condition from massive exposure to all the various sanitizer products being used obsessively everywhere in our country over the last two months instead of it being related to COVID itself, right? In fact, based on my personal experience, that makes a lot of sense to me. Or perhaps not. But that's the point; we simply don't know right now. Yet, read the headlines popping up everywhere. "New life-threatening condition for young children linked to COVID". If it was linked to COVID, wouldn't 100% of the kids with this symptom either have COVID or have COVID antibodies? Yet they don't.
It seems to me that if 144 out of 145 of the kids that came down with this had Covid and 1 didn't, you couldn't definitively link it to Covid. But the NYC numbers show fewer than 50% overlap. Remember, something like 25%+ of the entire NYC population has/had Covid, so the kids who tested positive could easily have been completely asymptomatic Covid+ and coincidentally came down with the inflammatory disease.

kgranger17

Data Driven
The reason why this pisses me off is that stories like this will be used to continue keeping kids out of school.
Do you think the Dems are colluding? CNN and MSM keep pumping out propaganda to the point I'm wearing two tin foil hats.

For_The_U

All ACC
It seems to me that if 144 out of 145 of the kids that came down with this had Covid and 1 didn't, you couldn't definitively link it to Covid. But the NYC numbers show fewer than 50% overlap. Remember, something like 25%+ of the entire NYC population has/had Covid, so the kids who tested positive could easily have been completely asymptomatic Covid+ and coincidentally came down with the inflammatory disease.
Agree with you 100%, man. There was this super intense article about this on either yahoo or cnn last week. It was mainly a story about one boy who got mega sick from this. The whole article though was basically selling the story that COVID is causing this in young children and is potentially life threatening.... it then went on to state at the very end that this particular kid tested negative for COVID and COVID antibodies at the time he was admitted, and only tested positive later after being in the hospital. 🤦‍♂️

JD08

Non-attorney spokesperson
That's what we've cone to. One anecdotal story that tears at heartstrings provokes a national response with politicians willing to help you for just a little more power and a press who's willing to tell the story.

ddann

Sophomore
That's what we've cone to. One anecdotal story that tears at heartstrings provokes a national response with politicians willing to help you for just a little more power and a press who's willing to tell the story.
May the odds be ever in your favor.