CBS Recruiting News

CaneCounty

Senior
http://eye-on-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34541988

MaxPreps.com Top 25 Team Rankings, ACC

Top storylines

1. Can Miami close on a top 10 class despite NCAA cloud?

This isn't what head coach Al Golden signed up for but it's what he has to deal with - which he's done superbly so far. It's no surprise that they've gotten some of the best players in their backyard and really sold recruits on the program despite whatever looming NCAA sanctions are bound to hit during their careers. One thing to keep in mind is that the Hurricanes can offer plenty of early playing time given the losses they've had due to underclassmen declaring for the NFL Draft or graduation. There are several players that really aren't up to the caliber that Miami usually recruits but given Golden's track record of molding talent in previous stops, the full story on this class won't be written for some time. There are impact players on both sides of the ball, players who will add much-needed depth and potential redshirt candidates in what could be the ACC's largest class. A handful of players are still being recruited hard by other programs and will not doubt be hearing how hard the program will get hit by the folks in Indianapolis for the Nevin Shapiro scandal. It will be interesting to track down and see if the Hurricanes trend up or down on Signing Day in the team rankings.

2. Does Florida State close with a bang or go bust?

In his first year as head coach, Jimbo Fisher quickly brought the Seminoles back to national prominence in February by grabbing commitments from top recruits in talent producing Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. 2011 had an elite recruit at each position outside of quarterback and FSU finished with a top three class. It looked like the program was destined for a similar finish early in the 2012 recruiting cycle but have been hit by several defections (notably to Alabama) and the crown jewel this year, quarterback Jameis Winston, is a threat to sign with another school and/or get drafted by a major league baseball team. There's still several very talented players, especially along the defensive line, but you wonder if this group gets picked apart or if Fisher and the talented recruiters on his staff close with a bang.

3. Does Clemson bring in another big haul?

If there was one big surprise on Signing Day last year, it was how well Clemson did. One of the frequently asked questions seemed to be how the Tigers were able to pull so many highly regarded recruits but it appears that Dabo Swinney and his staff's recruiting ability is one of the best in the ACC and one of the top groups on the East Coast. This year's group of commitments has plenty of talented players who should see early playing time and help Clemson reload for another ACC title run this season. The group is heavy along both lines but the Tigers are in the running for some impressive skill position talent this final week and could be poised for another big Signing Day.

4. Better in-state battle: Miami-Florida State or Virginia-Virginia Tech?

The fact that Virginia is even in the discussion is a testament to what Mike London had done in terms of turning around the program. Both programs in the state are about done with their recruiting classes and the Cavaliers could wind up with more top 100 commitments than their in-state rival. Virginia Tech's group is deeper and more balanced but doesn't have quite the impact players at the top that you would expect. Still, both programs look like they'll have a strong class come February 2nd.

Further to the South, both Florida programs are locked into a battle that could see both wind up as top 10 classes when all is said and done. Miami will have a bigger, deeper class while Florida State will likely end up with a star-filled group of players that might not have the numbers. Both programs be in a battle down to the final hours to see who finishes with a higher class ranking from the looks of it.

Most impressive class: Miami

Most underrated class: N.C. State

Work left to do: Boston College

DB Deon Bush
DE Jelani Hamilton
RB Randy Johnson
DE Tyriq McCord

There's a ton of explosiveness in this class but there's also a few questionable players in this group in terms of talent level. After "Duke" Johnson's senior year, it looks like the Hurricanes are getting the two best players in the state in him and Hamilton.

Advertisement
"There are several players that really aren't up to the caliber that Miami usually recruits"

O Rly

Probably witt and guys like that. The guys with lower than 4 stars. their saying some guys arent miami caliber but they probably havent seen any of their tapes. I would say Golden has a better eye for talent then a dumba$$ writer.

Advertisement
one caveat. this dude has David Thompson ranked higher than Duke (and no, that isnt a joke, or an exaggeration). So, yea.......Lemming knows nothing and is generally regarded as a complete joke in the industry.

I just cant wrap my head around duke being ranked that low....This is why I hate the ranking/Star system as it currently is

Advertisement
I just cant wrap my head around duke being ranked that low....This is why I hate the ranking/Star system as it currently is

Those rankings are terrible.

David Thompson at 137 overall and Duke at 170 overall.

Terrible.

F.

I guess over the next few years we'll just have to shock the living ***t out of this buttlick.

Maybe then he'll go back to covering the women's feminine sanitation products for Women's Weekly.

Advertisement
"There are several players that really aren't up to the caliber that Miami usually recruits"

O Rly

I wonder who they are referring to?
Holifield and who else?

Holifield
Crow
Hope
D'mauri Jones
Gunter

You guys can hype them up all you want, but thats not "Miami" talent. The writer was right about Golden and molding players, i trust him.

Based on what? Jones was recruited by Arkansas and South Carolina, two prolific offenses. Hope had offers from Wisconsin and West Virginia before he shut down his recruiting. Hope will most likely redshirt because he needs to put on weight. Go watch Gunter's JUCO clips. I'll wager he starts this fall. He is big, physical and has very good speed. His ball skills look excellent and he gets to the highest point. Exactly what Miami needs. Hollified was recruited because he is a heck of an athlete and basketball player. He'll need to red shirt. Worth the risk. Crow has the physical skills. He needs a good coordinator. A kid who will redshirt. He is worth taking.

If Arkansas wanted Jones then Im all in. Confirm please. They know how to recruit WR's

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back