Catching up with Jermaine Grace, Again

View as article

Cameron Underwood

Sophomore
A couple weeks ago, I was able to Catch Up with Jermaine Grace and talk to him about his recruiting and visit options. Following his Official Visit to Coral Gables, I was able to get some feedback from Grace about his experience.

Overall, he had a very good time on campus. "It was a great weekend man," Grace said after a workout session at Miramar. "They had me with some guys I really know well in Tracy [Howard], Malcolm [Lewis], and Deon [Bush]. It was really cool to see what college life is all about and how much of a family that whole team is."

While Grace was familiar and comfortable with his hosts, he wasn't the only prospect in that group. "The recruits they had in my group were Me, Stacy Coley and Rashard Robinson. It was really interesting, being with those guys. We really just bonded and talked about how crazy it would be if we all ended up going to the U."

When pressed about the connection he made with Coley and Robinson, Grace was very open. "Those guys are great. The one who I really spoke to was Rashard, when he wasn't talking to Deon. You could tell he was definitely thinking "This is a different feeling than I thought I'd have", you know? Like, being on campus and meeting the guys was opening his eyes with every step he took. Stacy was cool too. He also reminded Me and Tracy and Malcolm about how he beat us in High School twice."

We all have an idea as to what REALLY happens on an official visit, but Grace was able to shed even more light on the situation for me. "Man, Underwood, it was NICE. We took a campus tour, stayed at this NICE hotel in an amazing room, had great food, met with players and coaches, and even went bowling. It was just great, first class all the way."

While I'm sure everyone has their own ideas about what the best part of any recruiting weekend is, Grace's response took me by surprise. "The best thing, for me, was the academics," Said Grace. "Miami is really a strong academic institution, and I could see myself being successful there." I followed that up by asking about his academic interests, to which Grace responded, "I want to study Sport Management, and minor in either Finance or Marketing. I think that would be a good fit for me, and I could be really successful in that program."

Moving away from the academics, I inquired as to what Grace thought the prospects of landing all 3 members of his visit group. "I can't speak for Stacy and Rashard, but after this weekend Miami is my clear #1 school. The coaches are great, the players are a family, and knowing guys like Tracy, Deon, and Malcolm for a long time just makes me feel at home."

While obviously the relationship Grace has with former Miramar teammates Tracy Howard and Malcolm Lewis is a big factor to his decision making process, there are others who have a say in this area. "I spoke to all the coaches. They had some great things to say about me as a player, and how I could help this team." When asked is ALL the coaches spoke to him, Grace clarified his statement. "Well, EVERY coach didn't talk to me. *laughs* Just the defensive ones. But, they did all make it a point to say how I could help make their job be easier. That was kind of cool to hear."

Grace remains one of the top uncommitted players in this class, and he isn't ready to make a decision just yet. "I know you're going to ask, but no, I'm not committing anytime soon. Actually, I just planned another official visit. One of the coaches from Louisville, [former Miami Assistant] Coach Hurtt was actually just here at the school today. Me and Fonk [2013 WR recruit Sean Avant] spoke with him, and set up an official visit for January 11th."

I asked Grace if Louisville was his 5th finalist, since I hadn't heard that name from him before. "Yeah, it's Miami #1 right now, and then Texas A&M, Florida, Tennessee and Louisville in my top 5. I really like all those schools, and Coach Strong is a great coach at UL. He runs a great defense, and young players have opportunities to play early. But yeah, those are my top 5."

In addition to clearing up what his top priority is in this recruiting process (academic), and which schools are in his top 5, I asked him to address the thoughts that he's "too small" or "too soft" to play linebacker in college. "Underwood, listen...that's BS. I'm 208lbs, and I WILL get bigger. Who are these people saying that? Let me know. Honestly. That kind of thing just ****es me off and makes me work that much harder in the gym. Ask the guys who I tackle if I'm soft. Ask them if I'm not big enough or strong enough. Sean Spence was 197lbs coming out of HS, and look what he turned into. I just hope those same people who are saying I'm small or soft keep watching me play. Because they're gonna be mad when they see the beast I become once I hit campus."

After getting Grace to calm down, I got him to give some perspective on his recruiting timeline. "I really think I'm going to announce either during the signing day ceremony here at Miramar, or maybe at an All-Star game, if everything goes right." Grace is committed to play in the Nike South Florida All-Star game, but hopes to add another game to his post-season schedule. "[Miramar] Coach [Damon] Cogdell is trying to get me to play in the North-South Florida All-Star game. He's coaching in that, and running the defense, so that would be a good fit for me. I'm really waiting to see about the Under Armour All-American Game, since they've had some people drop out recently. I should know about that soon, though."

Before I let him leave, I asked Grace what the percent chance he ends up in Coral Gables is right now. "I don't know the number, but Miami is on top. It's a great school, a rebuilding team, and feels like a family environment. I don't have a number to give you, but if signing day was tomorrow, I would be busting out that Orange and Green hat."

I didn't get the number I was looking for, but then again, neither would Grace. Since Deon Bush is entrenched with #2, Grace would have to shift to #5. "They told me if I sign I can get #5. It's not #2, but it's a single digit number and has a great tradition. I know you saw that instagram pic I put up from the weekend, and that's what it would look like. I'm not sure about it, but I kinda liked the way that looked."

Well, Jermaine, we liked the way it looked too.

We'll just have until February to see if he liked it enough to wear it for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
" One of the coaches from Louisville, [former Miami Assistant] Coach Hurtt was actually just here at the school today"

Cot **** ****** should be banned from coming down here

Advertisement
Advertisement
image.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Did he mention Muhammad?

I was going to ask about everybody, but when I heard who was in his recruiting group, I abandoned that plan and went with a different plan. I'll see if he has anything to say in a follow up on Wednesday. Won't be able to get with him tomorrow for Chorus Reasons.

I asked him to address the thoughts that he's "too small" or "too soft" to play linebacker in college. "Underwood, listen...that's BS. I'm 208lbs, and I WILL get bigger. Who are these people saying that? Let me know. Honestly. That kind of thing just ****es me off and makes me work that much harder in the gym. Ask the guys who I tackle if I'm soft. Ask them if I'm not big enough or strong enough. Sean Spence was 197lbs coming out of HS, and look what he turned into. I just hope those same people who are saying I'm small or soft keep watching me play. Because they're gonna be mad when they see the beast I become once I hit campus.

96.jpg

"A little fight in you....I like that.

"Underwood, listen...that's BS. I'm 208lbs, and I WILL get bigger. Who are these people saying that? Let me know. Honestly. That kind of thing just ****es me off and makes me work that much harder in the gym. Ask the guys who I tackle if I'm soft. Ask them if I'm not big enough or strong enough. Sean Spence was 197lbs coming out of HS, and look what he turned into. I just hope those same people who are saying I'm small or soft keep watching me play. Because they're gonna be mad when they see the beast I become once I hit campus."

thats nasty but i like it.jpg

Advertisement
Back