Can't have it both ways

View as article

imurcane

Banned
Banned
Either we care about the program and have high standards that the Wizard RF put in place or we don't. I will flat out say that #3 did a great job getting those 1-2 year kids when Weeks was here to the Supers and Omaha. He absolutely underachieved with that junior laden team. Since then we have been on a downward tick. I couldn't say then that #3 had to go, because I thought it was crazy talk. Now however, the trend is ticking down. We are down. We are not even a top 25 or we are barely a top 25 program now at best. I think #3 should retire or coach one more year and retire, kinda how BB did at Fsu. I don't think you can ignore what he has done for the program, but but BIG but you also cant be blinded by past successes at the expense of the current product.

Advertisement
the problem is that since our last trip to omaha.......we have been plagued by **** poor fundamentals

this years team wasnt the best offensive team weve had.....but the pitching was far better than anybody expected......and we pitched well enough to win more games than we did.....but the defense kicked the **** out of many of them and ej literally threw away a few more games

we were due for a let down on the mound by the starters at some point this season.....and it sucks that it happened in a regional

the problem is that since our last trip to omaha.......we have been plagued by **** poor fundamentals

this years team wasnt the best offensive team weve had.....but the pitching was far better than anybody expected......and we pitched well enough to win more games than we did.....but the defense kicked the **** out of many of them and ej literally threw away a few more games

we were due for a let down on the mound by the starters at some point this season.....and it sucks that it happened in a regional

I think the first line sums it up. **** poor fundamentals. That isnt indicitive of recruiting or the talent level, it is flat out coaching. If it were a problem of not getting all our recruits because they're turning pro, I could understand a couple down years. But fundamentals fall solely of the shoulder of Jim Morris. Not having a team with a single batter over .300 would ALMOST be excusable if we're we're winning games playing small ball and executing sound defense. But you can't hit worth a **** and give a team two extra outs per game over the course of a season and expect to be competitive. It's fundamentals. Talent alone on Miami should be enough to get us into a regional every season and compete in the ACC, but coaching needs to take us the extra step. Time to change the guard...

Like a previous poster pointed out, Oregon is the #5 national seed after not having a program in 2008. It's not hard to compete I this landscape, but you need to be well coached.

as for the MLB ****......thats a ******* nonsensical excuse

if you are recruiting a kid who is going to be a top 10 pick in the MLB draft.........you need to look elsewhere then

period

you cant keep blaming the MLB draft for your shortcomings and incompetence

it really all comes down to fundamentals. if you dont know them well by the time you get to college, and some dont, you need to be coached up. i dont give a **** if you are coaching for your first year or your fortieth, YOU TEACH THEM. if you cant, get the **** out.

Advertisement

it really all comes down to fundamentals. if you dont know them well by the time you get to college, and some dont, you need to be coached up. i dont give a **** if you are coaching for your first year or your fortieth, YOU TEACH THEM. if you cant, get the **** out.
exactly

ive been saying it all year

he either has no idea how to coach them or has no interest in coaching......neither of which is acceptable

I think the first line sums it up. **** poor fundamentals. That isnt indicitive of recruiting or the talent level, it is flat out coaching. If it were a problem of not getting all our recruits because they're turning pro, I could understand a couple down years. But fundamentals fall solely of the shoulder of Jim Morris. Not having a team with a single batter over .300 would ALMOST be excusable if we're we're winning games playing small ball and executing sound defense. But you can't hit worth a **** and give a team two extra outs per game over the course of a season and expect to be competitive. It's fundamentals. Talent alone on Miami should be enough to get us into a regional every season and compete in the ACC, but coaching needs to take us the extra step. Time to change the guard...

Like a previous poster pointed out, Oregon is the #5 national seed after not having a program in 2008. It's not hard to compete I this landscape, but you need to be well coached.

I mentioned Oregon and its possible someone else did too, but look at cal state fullerton. They have had 3 coaches poached from them and they still keep rolling out a top 15 team and some years they are legit contenders. They always have one great assistant coach ready to step in when one of the big boy colleges poach their coaches who have often taken their new teams to the cws. Miami hasn't got any good coaches ready to step in for morris whenever he is fired or retires.

Something has to be done. If morris stays then he has to clean house if he's just a figure head and doesn't have good assistants teaching the kids what they need to learn. So much of baseball is basic ****. It's disgusting to see how far miami has fallen in the college baseball world. This used to be a yearly cws team.

exactly

he either has no idea how to coach them or has no interest in coaching......neither of which is acceptable

And the base running. 5 plus years of ridiculous base running meltdowns, every game. Never seen a team that consistantly can't score from second on a single to the outfield, and has runners thrown out by ten feet on a regular basis.

That's coaching.

Morris is out of touch.

I mentioned Oregon and its possible someone else did too, but look at cal state fullerton. They have had 3 coaches poached from them and they still keep rolling out a top 15 team and some years they are legit contenders. They always have one great assistant coach ready to step in when one of the big boy colleges poach their coaches who have often taken their new teams to the cws. Miami hasn't got any good coaches ready to step in for morris whenever he is fired or retires.

Something has to be done. If morris stays then he has to clean house if he's just a figure head and doesn't have good assistants teaching the kids what they need to learn. So much of baseball is basic ****. It's disgusting to see how far miami has fallen in the college baseball world. This used to be a yearly cws team.

To elaborate on your point, when in the past ten years has Miami had any competent assistant coaches poached from their staff for other gigs? JD Arteaga has been here forever. I think this staff has grown complacent and that's lead to a lack of fundamentals being instilled..

Advertisement

exactly

And the base running. 5 plus years of ridiculous base running meltdowns, every game. Never seen a team that consistantly can't score from second on a single to the outfield, and has runners thrown out by ten feet on a regular basis.

That's coaching.

Morris is out of touch.
like fielding.....base running falls under basic fundamentals

Another question the administration needs to ask - How many more years does Morris even have? If the answer is less than 4 or 5, which it should be, let's be proactive and change it up now if he isn't going to be around to see these new recruits graduate..

Another question the administration needs to ask - How many more years does Morris even have? If the answer is less than 4 or 5, which it should be, let's be proactive and change it up now if he isn't going to be around to see these new recruits graduate..
thats the problem

the administration shouldnt be asking him how many years hes got left......they should be telling him how much time hes got left......and the only answer is that hes out of time

ditto to everything that's been said already by everyone. The OP and subsequent responses apply to all 3 major sports over the past 10 years.

Advertisement
I think its talent evaluation and recruiting more than coaching. Small ball or not, in college baseball if you dont have a kid hitting over .300 thats talent. Coaching can only go so far, a team that makes this many errors cant be coached up to any kind of respectable level. They can improve, but you arent overcoming those kind of short comings when you have a shortstop with 23 errors. Sorry, you are a college baseball player, if you are making that many errors at this level, you arent going to improve significantly enough by being coached up and just dont belong at a major d-1 program to begin with.

Talent is the problem and I think Morris has mailed it in that aspect which is the reason he needs to be replaced.

The issue though, think about Gaby Sanchez, he was an error machine. I don't recall Braun being much better. It's a tough spit to be in. I'm in the minority here. I'm not ready to say #3 you are fired, NECESSARILY! THERE MUST BE AN EXIT OR TRANSITION plan in place. That plan may be you are fired. But I'm okay with a BB like transition for our program.

The issue though, think about Gaby Sanchez, he was an error machine. I don't recall Braun being much better. It's a tough spit to be in. I'm in the minority here. I'm not ready to say #3 you are fired, NECESSARILY! THERE MUST BE AN EXIT OR TRANSITION plan in place. That plan may be you are fired. But I'm okay with a BB like transition for our program.

anything that signifies he is on the way out would be alright with me.

Advertisement
braun is another example of a problem

the reason the brewers moved him to the OF is because they realized he wasnt meant to play 3rd

he just bounces guys all over the ******* place and half the time they are playing a position they shouldnt be playing

every year hes got a guy like broad......lawson or melendres that he bounces around like a tennis ball

anything that signifies he is on the way out would be alright with me.
this

get the **** out

braun is another example of a problem

the reason the brewers moved him to the OF is because they realized he wasnt meant to play 3rd

he just bounces guys all over the ******* place and half the time they are playing a position they shouldnt be playing

every year hes got a guy like broad......lawson or melendres that he bounces around like a tennis ball

Thats because they dont have a position to begin with and just arent good fielders.

I must say I am a bit surprised that the apologists around the internets are in full force supporting #3. I think I can objectively look at the program and say this:

Uf has become a top tiered program. Losing to them like we have lost to Fsu in the past sucks because they are a rival, but they are good so you expect to lose some. But whats happened is we lost almost all the games to them.

I say ditto for Fsu.

Now if you throw out every game with Uf the past 3-4 years you still have a huge body of work. The trend is still ticking downwards. I must say that Miami baseball since Frasier has been a consistent Omaha/Supers team. That is roughly top 16. Even in years where we lost in Supers we were likely one of the better not Omaha bound teams. The bar was set. Second place trophies were door stoppers. #3 embraced that. He has been great for us save the last few years. This is what I dont understand, college baseball and the U have benefited from him. I dont understand why he doesnt retire and work in some fashion with the program but allow some new blood in? Clearly his results are not what they were.

Again, I would love to see a transition plan in place bc lets face it, I hate to see #3 get fired. Id like to see the house cleaned and am aggressive younger coach come in with his guys. We can win in this spot. But if #3 craps the bed again next year he may need to get the ugly axe, but who wants that? And to be honest we are so inconsistent that is part of what is so maddening. We sweep Unc, beat them in the acct, and lose to less talented teams. Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Advertisement
Back